God Dammit!

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Shit has been slow with my business that I am trying to get started. I haven't had loadbox orders in some time. Right now I am working on a Rev 2 version of my loadbox and will at the same time work on my active DI. I even have a signature pedal by a Sneap Forum member that still needs to be made, all the Djent/Meshuggah fanboys will be all over that shit.

Ugh I want to start building again, I really, really enjoy it and I am getting sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing but killing my spare time. /sigh

On a side note I have been building a UV exposure box to make higher quality PCBs as I have been using picture frames and CFLs. The circular saw hates me, and honestly, that thing scares the shit out of me. It kicked back on me more than once and after my mishap with my drill press, I know a mishap with that fucker could end my life. Hell I am lucky I didn't get as hurt as I could have with my drill press (bruised bone in my wrist is a pretty mild injury when it comes to power tools IMO).

Anyway, I guess this was just a quick let it out rant about how anxious I am to get working again. I raise you guys a conversation question for the thread, what do you guys like to do in your spare time, outside of your day jobs and recording bands or being in bands or whatever else music related thing you do?

Oh and why I am at it, shameless self promotion, like my FB page if you haven't:

http://www.facebook.com/CorvusAudio

I work at an auto repair shop as my primary day job, work at a big venue doing monitors when they need me, fix music gear, and try to do as much studio stuff as possible. Not in an active band right now, so that kind of sucks, but have some possible projects coming up.

FWIW, I've always been curious of your loadbox, but never found an official webpage for your products, or promoted demos, or pictures (beyond schematics).

Looks to me like you focus too much on technical aspects (which is good), but are lacking on promoting your stuff much better.

Anyway, my 2c ;)

The official webpage is fairly hard to find, using google sites so it really isn't easy to remember. I have pictures now, a FB page and some of my own demos that I did with the first built unit. But outside of going around websites like this that will allow me to somewhat spam my products I really don't have the funds to pay for advertisement or even getting distributors or getting in magazines and what have you. One of the cheapest things I could do for advertising is paying for a Namm membership and that is still a little over my head, plus I would still have to pay additional fees to go to namm, plus getting and staying there for almost a week. Anything outside me advertising on the internet myself is going to cost tens of thousands of dollars for just a short amount of time, hundreds of thousands if for the year.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/CorvusAudio
Web: https://sites.google.com/site/corvusaudio1/
Dropbox link to buy in the Web: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1170463/Loadbox Page/Paypal Loadbox link.html
AS: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/764595-now-building-load-boxes-variable-line-out.html

I am working on basically no budget so web hosting and paying for a designed page is not really an option. The Sneap forum thread has been updated and has everything about the loadboxes there. I just don't have the traffic, nor without a whole shit ton of money I am not going to be on the forefront of music audio equipment in music stores or on the internet anytime soon. Its more of a, I have to hope the word of mouth gets the ball rolling. Honestly I am at a loss at what to do to get the name out there.

Ah ok, still, making an official webpage with lots of pictures audio samples etc I think could be a very good move. I for one ALWAYS look for the official page, once I'm interested in buying a piece of gear. Not sure that is so expensive, but I guess MMV.

Not sure that is so expensive, but I guess MMV.

Are you saying you think its expensive or? They cost quite some money to make.

I would love to make more audio samples, but I do not have a loadbox myself, budget is too low for me to make one for myself. That really sucks because my mic pre went out on me and I have no way to mic my amp, but a loadbox would allow me to work on music and make loadbox demos.

I'm saying doing a page may not be as expensive as those other things you mentioned, and may prove way more fruitful over the long run, too.
Lots of graphic designers happen to also like metal/hard rock (at least that I know of), so if you're friends with one, they could build up your page at a friendly price.

As for the domain, I think a .com is less than a couple hundred bucks a year, last I heard?
You could also go .net or the like, but the .com gives a more 'official' vibe, I think.

About the hosting I'm not sure honestly, but I wouldn't think is that prohibitive, as for one not to be able to save up for it eventually..

Just throwing ideas and some outside perspective there

*definitely sounds like you need to get more funds going by other means first, so that you may have a budget to get the ball rolling.

Well definitely make money somehow else first, get some stock ready, save funds for shipping and expenses, also give the units a kick-ass graphic layout! (eye candy)

Put up HD videos on YT and share them on FB. Send a unit as a gift to Ola, he may lend you a hand, I'm sure you could work something out with him - the guy's one cool dude, you know :D

There's also his bff Keith.. :lol:

Once people start considering buying from you, you should have a very solid-looking official site with all the specs/content/media ready to back up both the sale, and the intent of ppl to make the actual purchase.

I was going to make one purely as a gift to Ola as a thanks for his musical influence he has had on me, whether he made a video would be up to him.

I have no means of doing demo videos on youtube as I have no video camera, I wish I could because I would have been all over that a long time ago.

For a website, just buy a domain name and forward it to your facebook page.

Also, how I got the job doing monitors - I got the guy that's head of production's phone number and called him. Then just went and talked to him and they had me show up - i didn't screw anything up and i show up every time they've asked if I were available. i definitely don't make real money doing it, but it's usually a 12+ hr shift and at least i'm getting paid to do something music related...and the venue is large enough and gets big enough acts that it may be impressive to future employers.

I like the idea of bootstrapping your own pedal business and your active DI looks like a nice product. Since I'm also fan of your music (and want to help a AS member) I'd like to make you an offer:

If you give me full control over the creative aspect of the site I'll design and develop and nice product page for your loadbox for free. I'll even help you with a SEO strategy so you'll get more traffic to your site :)
All you've got to pay is the actual hosting of the website, so that's up to you.

some examples of my work:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8394538/webdesign/ing.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8394538/webdesign/ipadmaeda2.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8394538/webdesign/stevenotto.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8394538/webdesign/vodafone.png

let Steve do it, he seems to do the same stuff as I, just a bit better :D

@Steven, looks pretty nice! Loving the mobile parts!

And to get back at the "what are you doing?" part - I am a freelancing marketing consultant, specialized
in the online and design department, doing logodesign, webstuff and lots of campagne developing.

I have been designing a webpage for some time now and have just gotten around to working on it again. I have the basic layout all setup and just need to get content on there and get it online. In terms of getting it online I am going to run a VM server on my computer until the traffic becomes too much then I may build my own server and upgrade internet connection to a business one.

I do need some HTML advice though, when I was doing HTML last it was back in HTML 4 and I never had the chance to mess around with CSS. One thing that I am having trouble with is that I cannot lock text and images to the 1100 pixel background when you resize or have a difference size monitor the images are locked to the window's boarders, I want it to stay locked to the background images boarders, regardless of window size/resolution.

For the most part I need to add content, I have a menu bar that already has links to about 90% of the pages that will be on the site and all the templates to each page are completed. So pointers on how to lock text, images, widgets etc to the background would be of the most help. if not I will go ask around somewhere else.

Sure. Probably will reply tomorrow - crashing soon. But yeah i'll fix the page problems for sure. Also may be able to host it - talk later.