GOD! Kill me now!!

botus99

Microphone Assassin
May 20, 2007
Chicago suburbs
My computer ran checkdisk yesterday and it deleted half of my files! I lost at least 2/3 of my session files and about half of my mp3s. I was working on my band's album and just finished the drum tracks... WHYYY!??!! :cry:

I don't get it, I kept that drive under maintenance... ohhhhh I'm angry. I've spent all of yesterday and this morning re-installing my programs and downloading mp3s (I am not in the mood to re-rip everything) :yuk:

This experience definitely has me thinking about buying a backup drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

You are recording your band's album and don't ALREADY have a backup facility already in place!?!

That and plenty of other things were on my to-do list that would have been taken care of months ago... but paying bond on jail was a little more important at the time :lol:. I'm still tryin to build up some dough for another drive, Slate samples, more RAM, at least 5 concerts coming up.... on top of bills and all that other usual stuff... life's a bitch sometimes

First thing I tried was some recovery software, Recover My Files, came up nothin :ill:. I didn't lose any money over this, and wasn't recording anyone else so its not the biggest tragedy that could have happened... but I still feel like punching a sloth in the face

Man, that sucks. I've never had that problem with checkdisk. I do keep my sessions on a different drive than my OS and then back up to an external drive.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that good recovery software should work. As long as the sector is written over with new information you should be able to get it back. check out some of the mentioned ones in the thread, as i don't know of a good one.

Had a similar problem a while ago, too. I had to reinstall my OS because of a serious hardware change and checkdisk basically deleted the partition table on a HD that wasn't even the one for the OS. Luckily the MS-household file recovery restored almost everything... glad that I had it on NTFS.

And then a few weeks ago I wanted to make a backup for a record I'm working on for my own band (had the files on my laptop) and that highly-praised partitioning program I used to free up some space just messed up my OS-partition for no obvious reason. I was almost shitting my myself because I thought the files were gone... but with some Linux-nerdiness I could manage to get them on an external HD.

use some unerase software,like a ez recovery

I think it's too late now, apparently he's already formatted the thing and even installed it from scratch... Which is too bad, because if he had patience, maybe we could've helped him out with it. :)
I really hope you weren't formatting your partitions with FAT32, cause NTFS isn't as prone to such errors. Also, I'd check the RAM if I were you, maybe a module is corrupted and causing such errors on your HDD...

I think it's too late now, apparently he's already formatted the thing and even installed it from scratch... Which is too bad, because if he had patience, maybe we could've helped him out with it. :)
I really hope you weren't formatting your partitions with FAT32, cause NTFS isn't as prone to such errors. Also, I'd check the RAM if I were you, maybe a module is corrupted and causing such errors on your HDD...

Oh I use NTFS, trust me. AND I tried recovery software (although when Recover My Files didn't work, THATS when I lost patience/hope). Apparently this happened because of my pagefile being too overworked, so now I've bumped that fucker up to 4 gigs hoping that might help avoiding any more incidents. I'm not the smartest person in the world when it comes to computers. I thought spybot, ad-aware, and defraging would keep things in check... and I've learned a damn good lesson the hard way :cry:

Talk about redundancy. Go RAID 1 my friend. You'll never regret it. Best part = The backup is being done "automatically".
And if you want to go 300% safe get an extra external HDD and do some incremental updates from time to time.
Safes lives. Most certainly yours ;)

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was mixing 3 songs my band had recorded. I hadn't tracked vocals yet. I lost everything in a hard drive crash. Fortunately I had sent rough mp3 mixdowns to friends, so it was partially saved, but I wasn't able to do any further mixing, just to add the vocals. That sucked.

Talk about redundancy. Go RAID 1 my friend. You'll never regret it. Best part = The backup is being done "automatically".
And if you want to go 300% safe get an extra external HDD and do some incremental updates from time to time.
Safes lives. Most certainly yours ;)

+10000000000000000000000000000000 on raid1

Did you use the regular "restore" system that came with your computer and restore to a previous date. That's worked for me. If you're using windows Programs>accessories>System Tools>System Restore. From there restore to a previous date; the date before you ran defrag or scandisk or whatever it was but after your last tracking session. Let me know if it helps. This has saved my ass many times.