Replacing your system drive?

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
It has come to my attention that the C: drive on the "studio" computer in my rehearsal place is reaching dangerous temperature levels. 2 days ago, it reached 57 degrees Celsius and S.M.A.R.T reports indicate the overall health of the drive is at 52%, so it'll probably crash soon.

When replacing the system drive, is it possible to not go through all the freakin' install processes all over again? If I make a backup of the disk, put in a new disk and reload the backup on the new disk, plug the old one out and switch the cables to the new one... would that essentially capture my previous disk's OS/installed programs and put it on a new disk under a flawless operation? Or would there be lots of problems this way? How is it supposed to be done?

I have never "replaced" a system drive before, and if it's too much hassle... I guess I'll just wipe the whole thing and re-install it all on a new drive.

Thanks!

Duuuude, Acronis True Image for the mo'fuckin' win! Ermz recommended it to me recently in another thread I started, and it turns out my computer came with it already installed (Rain Recording knows what's up, awesome dudes :headbang: ), and it just made my most recent reformat (yesterday) way easier!

aquire acronis true image or norton ghost. 10 minutes to make the image, 10 minutes to load it back on. If you're due a rebuild, fuck it, bin it and start again. I image a fresh flat build with all my favourite plugs installed, then when the OS gets gammy after a long time you can restore to its former glory. Having an SSD tho, i probably wont even need to! This is kind of irrelevant to me now anyway, as these days my hardware is getting upgrades every year heh. Something tells me my quad is not changing to nehalm for sometime tho, being that the platform is an outragous wallet rapist.

I'm assuming you're using Windows, since lettered drives are the kind of skullfuckery that I wouldn't expect to see anywhere else.

I'd actually use a Live CD for disk recovery and copy bit-for-bit from one drive to the other.

Jeff

Thanks dudes, think I've got a good clue on how to do it now. Just need to find a good disk to buy... an SSD doesn't seem like an option really because I know they will drop in price pretty drastically the day after I buy 'em, so I might as well not buy 'em at all :) No but seriously, it doesn't feel like its time yet for an SSD.

On the other hand... I don't really like the idea of my data being stored on a disc that is spinning 7200 times per minute, even though it works well, I just feel like it's time to switch over to solid state. Damn things, drop in price already!

+1 for acronis!

this is it simple and functional ...i´ve troubles before with system drive and this always saved me (assuming that you regurarly backup).
if u want to backup on dvd´s u can compress your disk/partition

Thanks dudes, think I've got a good clue on how to do it now. Just need to find a good disk to buy... an SSD doesn't seem like an option really because I know they will drop in price pretty drastically the day after I buy 'em, so I might as well not buy 'em at all :) No but seriously, it doesn't feel like its time yet for an SSD.

On the other hand... I don't really like the idea of my data being stored on a disc that is spinning 7200 times per minute, even though it works well, I just feel like it's time to switch over to solid state. Damn things, drop in price already!

Just work a couple of extra days to justify it ;D I was forced into pulling the trigger as they havent been coming down fast enough for my liking. But you're right, this here 64gb slc drive this time next year will be at least half the price brand new! I kinda gave up and took the hit.:lol:

Acronis, without doubt if you're running XP. Windows 7 has an in built image backup tool. I've yet to try recovering with it, but something tells me it won't be as straight forward or even remotely logical as Acronis TrueImage is.

Does windows have SMART status? It's been such a long ass time since I have been on the up and up with windows that I am clueless..

Oh and back that shit up NOW while it still works, when my drive bit the dust I was only able to get 25% or so off of it and it died after doing so.

Even if you do end up having to re install everything if your not backed up it sucks.

Just work a couple of extra days to justify it ;D I was forced into pulling the trigger as they havent been coming down fast enough for my liking. But you're right, this here 64gb slc drive this time next year will be at least half the price brand new! I kinda gave up and took the hit.:lol:

Heh yeah but the thing is that I'm also putting away every penny I can for my driver's license which I will get sometime after this summer (just finished uni, got a summer job at a theme park) and I'm already working as many days as they can give me :(

By the way, what brand did you get? Is it Corsair, Kingston, Samsung etc.?

Does windows have SMART status? It's been such a long ass time since I have been on the up and up with windows that I am clueless..

Oh and back that shit up NOW while it still works, when my drive bit the dust I was only able to get 25% or so off of it and it died after doing so.

Even if you do end up having to re install everything if your not backed up it sucks.

Windows doesn't have S.M.A.R.T status as far as I know but there are tools you can install that will show you the status.

Yeah, I really have this gut feeling that the system disk is going to crash soon but the good thing is that I don't have anything project-related on that disk so if it crashes before I make a backup, I will only have to reinstall Win XP, Reaper, Wavosaur and all the plugins.

Oh and as a side note: I uninstalled all cracked plugins recently... now that school is over, I've got time again for music and I'm going legal, hell yea!

Heh yeah but the thing is that I'm also putting away every penny I can for my driver's license which I will get sometime after this summer (just finished uni, got a summer job at a theme park) and I'm already working as many days as they can give me :(

By the way, what brand did you get? Is it Corsair, Kingston, Samsung etc.?

Windows doesn't have S.M.A.R.T status as far as I know but there are tools you can install that will show you the status.

Yeah, I really have this gut feeling that the system disk is going to crash soon but the good thing is that I don't have anything project-related on that disk so if it crashes before I make a backup, I will only have to reinstall Win XP, Reaper, Wavosaur and all the plugins.

Oh and as a side note: I uninstalled all cracked plugins recently... now that school is over, I've got time again for music and I'm going legal, hell yea!

I spent literally days and days figuring out the best move to make, and the one to get is really the SLC Samsung if you can IMO. (Intels are widely known as the best but pricing is just stupid)

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?origin=gbase13.3&prodID=B127404 thats the model. Dont be put off by the price btw... if you are extremely lucky you can pull one for $200. I recommend keeping an eye on this site-

http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=1204

I ventured quite deep into as well, I discovered that Samsung offer drives in a new "micro sata" format as well as SATA. Annoyingly, the micro sata costs about $50-70 less from what i recall, god knows why. However, to buy a connector it costs about $30 all told so the $20-40 saving is not worth the bother imo.

Cool, thanks for the info Kev!

Man, stuff seems to be cheaper in the states compared to Sweden... fuck I hate this place :(

Yeh, I imported mine from USA too. It'd just be ridiculous to spent £300 on it. Here those drives are around 4500 Kronor yet in america you can pick em up for like 1532 kronor lol! Think i got mine for $250 all told. If you do it, get them to mark the value down in customs or of course you'll get customs shafting ya if sweden is anything like england!

But for the cost, isn't a 64GB drive really small, no matter if it's SSD?
I mean for audio with all the plugins and also all the recorded takes at high quality, 64GB won't get you far AFAIK.

EDIT : Oh I think I understand : system drive with windows on it, and other drive with all the other stuff on. Sorry for having been dumb :)

But for the cost, isn't a 64GB drive really small, no matter if it's SSD?
I mean for audio with all the plugins and also all the recorded takes at high quality, 64GB won't get you far AFAIK.

EDIT : Oh I think I understand : system drive with windows on it, and other drive with all the other stuff on. Sorry for having been dumb :)

Yeh thats correct dude :)