Running plug-ins and other stuff from an external hard drive...

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
Can this be done?

I'm sorry if this a n00b question, but I haven't got much hard-drive space left on my MacBook, and if I wanted to install... say, Slate Drums or Superior 2.0 or something of the sort, could it be possible for it to be installed on an external hard-drive and accessed by my DAW?

Thanks!

Yep it's possible, and you should actually record to an external drive also to reduce the load of the internal drive. I use Superior 2 off of my Firewire drive with my Macbook to save space and it works great.

awesome Thanks!!

I guess that whenever I install the program, when it gives me the option of where to install it, there should be another icon (the external HD) next to the internal main drive, right?

I worked for apple as a tech support agent for a year...

it is best to have all your apps. installed on your internal hd, and all your media (mp3s, projects, samples, pictures ect.) on the external. your computer can access info on the internal much faster than the external.

I can vouch for this, because I have installed osx on an external drive, and booted from it. Performance was considerably slower this way.

obviously optimum performance is desirable in this field.

my advice would be to move your itunes and iphoto libraries to the external, along with any media that you can fit.

after you move your itunes library to the external, hold option while launching itunes, then select "use existing library" then navigate to where you have the itunes library folder located.

same can be done with iphoto.

I also advise deleting any applications you dont use.

also look for a previous system folder in your macintosh hd. if you find one, delete it! it will be there if you have done an "archive and install" and it is usually a big folder that takes up alot of space.

also, put all of the sample libraries that come with your audio apps on the external as well.

your macbook will greatly appreciate this!

another thing to remember: always verify disk permissions after installing software, or software updates. Repair if necessary.

beyond dead, that's a lot of good info. Thanks a bunch!

also look for a previous system folder in your macintosh hd. if you find one, delete it! it will be there if you have done an "archive and install" and it is usually a big folder that takes up alot of space.
Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I'm not quite sure I get it. What's 'archive and install'?

also, put all of the sample libraries that come with your audio apps on the external as well.
so for example... I wonder if this could be done... install SSD on internatl, but have all the samples and whatnot on external?

Thanks for the replies, everyone! :)

archive and install is a safe reinstallation of the o.s that saves all your data to a previous system folder in your main hd on the root level. if you open mac hd, it will be right there. if you have never reinstalled the o.s then it wont be there.

yeah, just move your samples to the external drive, then you would go to superiors preferences and set it to look for the samples on the external!

also If you dont use iphoto, garageband, photobooth or imovie, you can free up space by deleting those apps.

it will take a bit of time to rearrange your data, but its definitely worth it!
hope this helps! cheers!

Thanks a lot, man!

Nope, I have not reinstalled Mac OS ever... so I think I'm safe right there. I just cleared a bunch of space on my Hard Drive today. I still don't think it'll be enough. I migh have to install the software stuff to this one and have it run the samples from an external one. I still don't know how I'm gonna pull it off.

There's some stuff that I'm hesitant to erase, tho. I might go for that in the end too.