label requesting hard drive with all pro tool files

brianhood

No Care Ever
is it standard for the label to request "Complete set of pro-tool files on either hard drive or DVD delivered to company " if you're the one doing the mix? All the label is handing is mastering, and it's going to be cash out of my pocket and time (seemingly) wasted getting an external hard drive and putting the files onto it.

just seems odd to me, and i wanted to know if this is common

Check your contract.
AFAIK labels can only claim rights to recordings if they give you a recording advance and if it's clearly written on the contract.
If you accept an advance and decide to pocket the money and mix the project yourself or use the advance only for mastering purposes then they can still claim rights of the recording.
Again, check the fine print!

you'd be fucked if you weren't using Pro Tools ;).

I usually back up everything on DVD anyways (firsts HDD, then DVD)....if the label requests the files I'll always have some DVDs for them...not a big thing actually....it's about 4$ in DVDs, should be possible

It's certainly not abnormal to hand over master tapes. The only issue here is that you are essentially handing them all of your mix settings as well.
That said, the actual process of moving the stuff over shouldn't take long or cost much in terms of DVD's.

Or send them "printed" stems. That's the deal I make with the ones which get "fussy". No PT sessions, no nothing. It's the final audio result they can claim, NOT your sessions/settings/work.

This is interesting. What if you remove all of your plug-ins, automation, et al from the project to where it's just raw audio and that's what you send them?

just print all the effects and automation and send them a pro tools session which just has a load of tracks with 0db faders in the mixer and all the relevant markers

100 tracks, 4 minute song=400minutes plus the time for switching tracks on/off reimporting etc....times 10 songs=4000minutes just for that ;) that's 67hours of extra work ;)

haha thanks for the input guys. Im not really worried about the extra work as much as i was wondering if this was standard. I guess it makes sense for them to have it available if there is ever need for a remix in the future, or if they hate the mix so much that they insist on getting it remixed by someone else(which i've heard of bands/labels doing).

100 tracks, 4 minute song=400minutes plus the time for switching tracks on/off reimporting etc....times 10 songs=4000minutes just for that ;) that's 67hours of extra work ;)

AHEM..
Lasse... route the tracks via a bus to another track and record that...
then it'd only be 4 minutes:loco:
depending on how many busses you have left after mixing of course....

Send them a protools sessions with no automation/fx/plugins, along with stems and variation mixes and call it a day. If they ask for anything more then that charge em. 90% of the time the labels throw that shit in the garbage....trust me on that.

Print it to DVD as well. IF you hand them a hard drive and they'll be calling you to figure out why it won't mount or what format it is....seriously dumb people work there. I've actually had that happen to me hahahahaha.

On the topic of "printed" tracks or full mix prints, NO MIXERS that I know personally or have worked with would ever give a label something like that.

does this "work agreement" seem standard to you?

I hope this doesn't mean they wont pay until the mix is sent it, because i dont plan on sending it in until i'm payed(they were suppose to send the check out last week).

WORK FOR HIRE ACKNOWLEDGMENT

The undersigned, _______ (Contractor), for and in consideration of the all in sum of ($) Dollars, hereby grants to (Company), all rights of every kind and nature in and to the results and proceeds of the Contractor services and performances as a record producer or otherwise rendered to Company in connection with the master recordings embodying the performances of the musical group known as "BAND” containing all works related to as set forth on Schedule A annexed hereto and hereby made a part hereof (the Masters) including, without limitation, the complete, unconditional and exclusive worldwide ownership therein in perpetuity. Company, or its designees, assigns and successors, shall have the exclusive right to copyright any such Masters in their name, as a sole owner and author thereof, and to secure any and all renewals and extensions of such copyrights. All Masters, from the inception of the recording thereof, and all reproductions derived therefrom, together with the performances embodied thereon, shall be the sole and exclusive property of Company worldwide free from any claims whatsoever by Contractor or any person deriving any rights or interests from Contractor. Each such Master shall be considered a "work made for hire" for Company; if any such Master is determined not to be a "work made for hire" it will be deemed transferred to Company by this agreement, together with all rights in it. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Company and its designees, successors and assigns, shall have he exclusive worldwide rights in perpetuity to exploit and deal in and with respect to the Masters, to lease, license, convey or otherwise use or depose of the Masters by any method now or hereafter known, in any field of use, to manufacture, reproduce, market, sell, distribute, vend, broadcast, perform or otherwise exploit in any medium or by any method now or hereafter known, all upon such terms and conditions as Company may approve, in its sole discretion throughout the world, and to permit any other person, firm or corporation to do any or all of the foregoing, or to refrain from doing any and all of the foregoing.

The undersigned further acknowledges and agrees that Company shall not be required to make any payments of any nature for, or in connection with, the rendition of your services or the acquisition, exercise or exploitation of rights by Company pursuant to this Agreement, except as specifically provided hereinabove.

The company here by requires the following completed to be considered delivered.
-Complete Full mix & Instrumental mix files either turned in for mastering or mastered.
-Complete set of pro-tool files on either hard drive or DVD delivered to company

If you acknowledge and agree with the above, please sign in the space provided below.

Dated: AUGUST 27, 2009

Name/ Sign: (Contractor)
Name/ Print : (Contractor)

S.S.#:

Schedule A

'The undersigned further acknowledges and agrees that Company shall not be required to make any payments of any nature for, or in connection with, the rendition of your services or the acquisition, exercise or exploitation of rights by Company pursuant to this Agreement, except as specifically provided hereinabove.'

That's the bit that bothers me here. I'm not particularly fluent in legalese (aka scum) but it seems like they might have you by the balls in regards to compensation for doing this.

Also, I would be inclined to deliver the ProTools sessions without any mix information/automation. Simply use the session as a delivery mechanism for the raw tracks. They specify you need to provide a complete set of 'pro tools files'. For all that means, you could just copy the ProTools install directory onto a DVD and send it to them :)

I hope this doesn't mean they wont pay until the mix is sent it, because i dont plan on sending it in until i'm payed(they were suppose to send the check out last week).

good luck with that.
usually the labels I work with take at LEAST 30 days to pay, and won't even consider accepting the invoice before they've got the master CD.
so the earliest I'd get the money is 30 days after I sent them the master