label requesting hard drive with all pro tool files

good luck with that.
usually the labels I work with take at LEAST 30 days to pay, and won't even consider accepting the invoice before they've got the master CD.
so the earliest I'd get the money is 30 days after I sent them the master

i havent had any past experience working with labels as an engineer, but i know when my old band recorded with Joey Sturgis, he had his check from Solidstate Records within the first week we started tracking. This is a different label, so they may handle things differently.

Would it benefit me at all being stern(basically being a douche) and saying that i wont be sending in the mix(someone else is handling mastering) until i've received the check? I haven't signed any "agreements" or contracts yet, so as far as i know, i'm not legally obligated to send anything in until i'm paid.

I'm really interested in hearing from someone that has worked with labels like metalblade,centry media, victory records, ferret music, rise records, or similar sized labels.

Makes me laugh that they didn't get someone to spell check that contract before sending it to you Brian. Unless you typed that up yourself from a paper copy and messed up :p.
And jesus that whole thing sounds like a load of complete waffling to me as well.

Back on topic...I would clarify this with the record company as to what exactly they want from you (Pro Tools tracks wise) before doing anything. And also clarify the situation with getting paid. Just try and cover your ass and make sure they're not gonna fuck you over.

100 tracks, 4 minute song=400minutes plus the time for switching tracks on/off reimporting etc....times 10 songs=4000minutes just for that ;) that's 67hours of extra work ;)

i send PT files for some projects when asked, and it's never taken me anything close to that kind of time to dump all the plug-ins and erase automation... it's amazing what you can accomplish with Option+Shift and with Command+A followed with a Control+Delete. ;)

good luck with that.
usually the labels I work with take at LEAST 30 days to pay, and won't even consider accepting the invoice before they've got the master CD.
so the earliest I'd get the money is 30 days after I sent them the master
sometimes true... but i often have over half before i'm finished; generally a deposit to reserve my time, a further deposit upon starting the session, and the remainder upon completion.

regarding handing over mixes prior to being paid in full... i think it's different if you are hired as a producer/mixer than it is when you are strictly a studio/engineer, but there are no rules to this and i've had it work both ways, depending on the label. at the end of the day you are dealing with people, and it's all about relationships, so learn to cultivate them, assess them accurately, and value them... this will be your compass as to how to handle business in this regard.

i send PT files for some projects when asked, and it's never taken me anything close to that kind of time to dump all the plug-ins and erase automation... it's amazing what you can accomplish with Option+Shift and with Command+A followed with a Control+Delete. ;)

was talking about printing all the FX and automation on all the tracks seperately, not sending out the session with the raw files of course ;)

was talking about printing all the FX and automation on all the tracks seperately, not sending out the session with the raw files of course ;)

Ah what the contract says is the Prootools files, nothing about Prootools sessions. ;) That's the raw audio, nothing else. Bounced/consolidated/exported or what it's called in the DAWs.

OT: Good to see your post, James. It's been a while and people were getting worried that you'd left for EVER! Oh, the drama. Been busy lately or vacation?

ah yeah.. meant to address that as well: Command+Shift+N to make the necessary number of audio tracks, Option+Shift+Command to number them with sequential bus inputs... same thing to number all Effect Return Auxes with same numbered bus outputs, name and then arm the tracks and then hit record.... at most a whole album can be done inside of 2 hours, ;)

ah yeah.. meant to address that as well: Command+Shift+N to make the necessary number of audio tracks, Option+Shift+Command to number then with sequential bus inputs... same thing to number all Effect Return Auxes with same numbered bus outputs, name and then arm the tracks and then hit record.... at most a whole album can be done inside of 2 hours, ;)

yeah, I know...but I doubt that that won't exceed the tracklimit of the LE system he's having....anyways, I didn't mean my post too serious, lol

Ah what the contract says is the Prootools files, nothing about Prootools sessions. ;) That's the raw audio, nothing else. Bounced/consolidated/exported or what it's called in the DAWs.

OT: Good to see your post, James. It's been a while and people were getting worried that you'd left for EVER! Oh, the drama. Been busy lately or vacation?

busy busy :Spin:

Cubase 5 has a way to export each individual track (with or without printed FX) from one window with one click - at any bit/word rate - it does the rest for you. :cool:

Cubase 5 has a way to export each individual track (with or without printed FX) from one window with one click - at any bit/word rate - it does the rest for you. :cool:

I thought all DAWs did that. Or I'm getting crazy.

I suspect that since Cubase have been the runner up to the "mega-pro-big-bucks-studio-DAW", and it's been around for a quadzillion years, AND it's the most "downloaded" DAW on the market = lots of people use it, it's a smart way to make sure that it's compatible with any other DAW in the easiest way possible.

How's THAT for a sentence, huh? ;)

are these Cubase export features real time?... useless for most professional users and outboard gear enthusiasts if not really.... because real-time is always best quality (not inclined to argue that point, its my opinion and supported by many whose opinions i respect), and it's the only way to use outboard gear, be it digital or analog. those export options sound cool for those not concerned with either of those issues though.

are these Cubase export features real time?... useless for most professional users and outboard gear enthusiasts if not really.... because real-time is always best quality (not inclined to argue that point, its my opinion and supported by many whose opinions i respect),

I know you don't want to argue on it, but can you elucidate a bit on that point, I've heard a lot of people say that but never actually heard any of the reasoning behind it? :confused:

The only reasoning I've heard is that apparently some plug-ins don't react the same way in offline bounces, particularly compressors or other dynamics tools. Plus there's always the outboard gear, which can't physically do anything other than real-time..

the solution here is really simple. make stems of everything, combine what you don't want someone to be able to seperate, and put those into projects and send

no one is tellin you how to "organize" or arrange your project / work flow, so everyone wins when you basically send them 4 tracks of stereo waves for each song.
your excuse? you like to simplify and commit.