Replacing your system drive?

One of my hard drives have been reporting S.M.A.R.T errors for like 2 years now, hasn't crashed yet :)

Although I don't really store much of real value on it.

sweden/norway are like the richest countries in the world! i'd love to live in either place! aha. and you get stupid fast internet.. anyways

without a doubt, the best SSDs on the market are intels. but they are priced accordingly.

there's been a relatively large debate about actual SSD performance, in comparison to raw read/write rates. there are some fairly in depth articles about it, but cut to the point, most SSDs bar 2, fail *miserably* when it comes to random ish reads/writes (ie - real world usage).

i say bar 2, these are of course, intel, but also OCZ managed to get their shit together and sort out their drives (at the expense of less marketable features - very slightly lower sequential read/write speeds).

the culmination of this work are the OCZ vertex drives. second only to intel (and better in a few cases), and MUCH cheaper.

if you're gonna get an SSD any time soon, go intel if you can afford it, OCZ vertex otherwise - other drives just aren't worth it.

thanks,

Damn dude, so your saying in terms of real-world read/write rates an SSD is slower than a conventional magnetic disk drive? Surprising, I guess it's nature of how the data is organized on the chips or something...

yea, it's a sad state that we're in, but the marketable figures don't translate to real world performance - that much is true of any artificial test. that said, there are many real world situations in which any SSD will beat the shit out of a traditional hard drive.

actually, 99% of the blame can be placed in 1 company's hands, and they're JMicron. they make the controllers that most manufactures use for SSDs. intel made their own controller, hence the amazing performance, and OCZ badgered JMicron into improving the firmware they use in their drives.

hopefully these changes will trickle down into other brands drives soon!

thanks,

Man, you don't know the true meaning of that phrase if you'd apply it to Sweden of all places!

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side, no matter where you are :|

It's not a coincidence that I know a few swedes who don't wanna stay here and ironically head to your side of the world :) Always greener on the other side!

yea, it's a sad state that we're in, but the marketable figures don't translate to real world performance - that much is true of any artificial test. that said, there are many real world situations in which any SSD will beat the shit out of a traditional hard drive.

actually, 99% of the blame can be placed in 1 company's hands, and they're JMicron. they make the controllers that most manufactures use for SSDs. intel made their own controller, hence the amazing performance, and OCZ badgered JMicron into improving the firmware they use in their drives.

hopefully these changes will trickle down into other brands drives soon!

thanks,

Yeah I actually heard something about that tonight at a friend's house during our little movie night. All in all, getting an SSD doesn't feel that important to me anymore... I think it's best to way until they get their shit together and really, I mean REALLY outperform and rape conventional drives.

I'm having problems with my PCs system drive..

Is Acronis the fastest and best way to clone a drive?
I need something that's pretty quick, since I'm not entirely sure how long it'll last!

Where's a good place to have a search about?.. I used to use Downloads.com - still decent?