Gonna be recording a Metalcore band Wooohoooo

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So...not that I am a fan of the genre, but lately i've been SO bored with the things I am recording that anything that ressembles coolness gets me excited (my latest recording a couple weeks ago was a Priest singing some kind of christian-brazilian-pop-country, so you get the idea). Well, i saw the band one time when I was recording a bands contest on the studio i work on and at the time I was VERY excited with them. I changed some emails with the guitarist, he almost joined my band, and today he sent me an email telling me they want me to produce them :Smokin:

Well,they have some catchy songs, some nice riffing, but i've got two problems: The first one is that they're far from being nice musicians. The drummer is OK (cant play to a click for sure), the singers are ho-hum, the guitarists are OK (but not necessarily tight, i think it is closer to not being tight at all hehehe) and only the screaming singer is really good. The other problem is my everlasting problem of recording guitars (hence the reason i never posted anything here). It always sounds like crap and that is stealing my sleep.

Anyway...any got any tips for producing metalcore, like reference CDs, what you like to hear, what you DONT like to hear..that kind of things?

Ivan

I would say most metalcore these days are edited to fuck.
if the drummer sucks, program drums
if the guitarist sucks, edit the living shit out of the takes
if the singer sucks, auto tune him (not the t-pain effect, but just correct the pitch till it is perfect)

whats the problem with recording guitars? if it sounds like crap, PRACTICE! just keep moving mics and trying different combination of stuff. practice makes perfect right?

the newest TDWP CD is an awesome metalcore reference for me.

things i hate, when bands are trying to be too different, cuz then they end up sounding just like everyone else because everyone else is trying to sound different..
Also, dont over do it! I have noticed alot of producers who normally dont do metalcore try to add lots of stuff to fit the genre which usually ends in a train wreck. Producers like Sturgis, Adam Antonelli, Mike Green all know what they are doing. they know if a certain sound effect would work with a specific part of a song and they also know when too much is too much. Be creative but dont force something into the song that doesnt need to be there.

Tons more i could add, but i got to get back to editing 2 CDs :(

FUCK YEAH ANOTHER METALCORE BAND!
Seriously though what kind of metalcore are we talking about?
Fagcore/crabcore? The Melodic Metalcore (KSE, Darkest Hour type stuff)?
What?

If you ever listen to what i usually record , you'll know why I am happy. Ill do you guys a favor and not post any clips or links (search for 'Jeito Inocente - Internet' on youtube if you're curious at all) :lol: Seriously, i never recorded any metal bands, so im VERY happy. Metalcore is not a very common genre in Brazil (heavy and death are 95% of the metal bands here), so that's why i have not recorded any yet.

Anyway, its the KsE type of metalcore, actually it is very similar to KsE :lol:

I am thinking of recording the drummer, getting a tempo map off his performance and then program the drums to make it click-tight, and maybe borrowing a 5150 from a friend. I also can get a Single Recto (yuck), a Jsx and my own home built amp.

If it's gonna be KSE-esque, definitely do the 5150. Just seems perfect for melodic death or in this case, melodic metalcore which is pretty much inspired heavily by that genre anyway.
I'd say 2 tracks of 5150 and 2 tracks of JSX just to experiment, but it doesn't sound like those guys are tight enough for that :lol:
Fuck the Single Recto, 5150 all the way:headbang:

Plan, plan and plan some more. Figure out in your head what/how you think you want to go about doing things, and then be prepared to change things up if need be.

If you are concerned about your ability to record nice guitar tracks, I'd be sure to capture the guitar's DI, too (unless you are already planning on doing this and then reamping). With the DI, you have instant tracks to salvage the guitars by either reamping or using sims and impulses.

Jesus, you're excited about recording subpar metalcore? My sympathies go out to you dude..

Jesus, you're excited about recording subpar metalcore? My sympathies go out to you dude..

That's why I am back to college to earn my degree and go out of music business:lol: Just youtube what i told in the post above and you'll undertand why I am excited ehhehe Better subpar metalcore than 'great' pagode.

I am downloading their 'live' EP atm. Hoping it is listenable.

That's why I am back to college to earn my degree and go out of music business:lol: Just youtube what i told in the post above and you'll undertand why I am excited ehhehe Better subpar metalcore than 'great' pagode.

I am downloading their 'live' EP atm. Hoping it is listenable.

I wish you the best man!!

try not to fill up your head with too much crap here and there...because you wont know what to do having so many choices to choose from.

just do what's right. make them sound good. and enjoy the recording process!