good amps

HauknessX

Jan 21, 2004
Mass
i need an amp that i can play live with thats not too expensive. like say between $400-$800. im thinking of getting a crate, i like their sound. does anybody have any suggestions for particular models that have a good metal sound and around 100 watts or so. combos or stacks. i have a line 6 50watt amp now but its shitty now and the sound cuts off sometimes and its not always loud enough. thanks.

Crate = only good in combo amps. Don't get a halfstack, it'll be a waste of money. The default destortion is what it'll always sound like, even with a pedal, plus more feedback. Get the 600-700$ Marshall half stack. It's definately worth the mola mochacho.

hmm, the marshals i usualy hear seem to have more of a staticy distortion, but maybe i just hear them on shitty settings, idk. and i need an amp when the notes ring out a while, like u can hear the notes clear even if you just do a hammer on, while some amps if you dont pick each note perfectly the notes just die out right away. can that be adjusted on all amps or is the amps fault?

what do most metal bands such as bodom, norther, sonata, equilibrium, etc, use? or do they all use different types. mostly marshals, crates or mesa boogies right?

besides the good amp their signal goes thru lots of other equipment for example: preamp, noise suppressor, compressor, limiter etc...
so till they final sound reach the amp it got shaped/scalped/polished
that its almost doesn't matter what amp they use just that it won't distort the sound on higher volumes

Hughes & Kettner is what i'm going to say, also try some Marshall series, but not the MG of the AVT or whatever they are called, DSL and TSL series are good. Steer clear of Line 6 too.