Good Bye My Friend

R.I.P. Mr. Gold, a man that proved hard work and dedication could get your band somewhere without bending to trends.
Woods I & II are among my all time favorite albums, and I'm really bummed he wont be around to write something else to enter that list.

RIP David.

Big Dawg 69 and Carlotta would have the party buses cranking up there in Ontario this weekend if we thought that's what you would have wanted, but we think that you'd want it more contemplative and low key. I was going to fly up there from FL and start the most retarded party ever, but she was sure that it wouldn't be your style. Hah. She was probably right. Still, you deserve the most raging "farewell" ever.

Either way, I wrote David's sister on Facebook tonight, but if anyone knows where I can jump the gun and have some donations sent for his memorial, please let me know. If there's one thing that hustling along I-10 has taught me, it's that taking care of your own in situations like this is the most important thing.

first off i would like to say that David Gold had a profound impact on my life, especially through music from WoY, The Northern Ontario Black Metal Preservation Society, and Thrawsunblat. Not only did the music keep me from going over the edge multiple times, but it changed me and my perspective on life. May his soul forever rest in peace with the earth.
the topic of suicide was touched on, and that sparked my memory of his most recent tweets on twitter (ive followed him for about 2 years now, and it was great) but his last tweets, are for the most part scary, when i first read them, i felt strange - gave me a strange feeling, but now, its even stranger and gives a more scary-erie feeling

here they are, in chronological order (and in direct twitter quote context, and i left one a few ones i felt not important to the significance of what has happened.) please keep in mind this is not me trying to put Dave down or give him bad rep, this is just me giving another possibility of what could be, not matter how badly i dont want it to, also, this is just important regardless

[tweet 1] as of december 27 - 12 days ago
Blacklisted. Damned. In the North again. I can't relate. I don't belong. Not allowed. Don't wanna be. Don't wanna be anymore.

[tweet 2] as of december 27 - 12 days ago
Dreams on Backorder Journal: Surprisingly, pills to help me sleep bring me back to Kuwait nearly every night, but last night was Toronto.

[tweet 3]
In the North, I miss Korea, Kuwait, I regret opportunities forgone, grief thick, sticking, impatient and brooding, I long to go away again.

[tweet 4]
And finally, nearly 10 years in, the art is finally too much, too real, too raw, too close, too loud, cold, clean, but too hard to hear.

[tweet 5] as of december 27 - 9 days ago
I just can't imagine you wanting me to give up. To give up on you.

[tweet 6] as of december 27 - 8 days ago
SADDEST phone interview ever w/big mag in Belgium. Discussed suicides of the journalist's friends and that of the JOY DIVISION vocalist.

[tweet 7]
One of my biggest mistakes was believing the music was real. WOODS OF YPRES doesn't sound that dangerous to listen to it CD...

[tweet 8]
...far removed from the places and events but nearly 10 years in, to live WOODS OF YPRES for real is damn near lethal one day at a time.

[tweet 9]
WI: "Against the Seasons: Cold Winter Songs from the Dead Summer Heat" (2002) = WORLD COMING DOWN

[tweet 9]
WOODS OF YPRES - WII: "Pursuit of the Sun & Allure of the Earth" (2004) = The first comeback album. I felt truly happy writing this one.

[tweet 10]
WOODS OF YPRES - WIII: "Deepest Roots & Darkest Blues" (2007) = WORLD COMING DOWN, again. Best intentions, disastrous life in the end.

[tweet 11]
WOODS OF YPRES - W4: "The Green Album" (2009) = The Second Comeback album, recovering from the loss of the muse of the second album.

[tweet 12]
WOODS OF YPRES - WIV.5 Sessions (2010) 2 songs released on "Home" 7inch wax, three still sitting on a hard drive. Blood, sweat, bittersweet.

[tweet 13]
WOODS OF YPRES - Woods 5: "Grey Skies & Electric Light" (2012) = WORLD COMING DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWN!

[tweet 14]
I can only hope to never again create something around which there would be so much destruction, hurt and loss. We MAY survive THIS one. #W5

[tweet 15]
If we make it to Woods 6(66), I think it would have to be a positive record. A life-comeback record. *If* we get through this, now. #Woods5

[tweet 16]
Just realizing now, unfortunately, how far we're usually removed from the content in which we vocalize in metal and how safe it is. #Woods5

[tweet 17]
We sing despair at a 1, don't really mean it. Really mean hope. In the meantime, the person with real despair, at 10, does not sing at all.

[tweet 18]
"Authentic Despair" was tag line used on the very early woods.ca in 2002 under a photo of Aaron Palmer and I, after Woods I: Against the...

[tweet 19]
"Authentic Despair" was then used, more fittingly, but still not totally true, in a lyric on Woods III: "Deepest Roots & Darkest Blues"

[tweet 20] ***
Disheartened, a google search on suicide will result in lots of metal music. I believe many in the genre are so often so far from the truth.

[tweet 21]
#Wood5 is a dangerous record for how real it is and for how somewhere out there, those stories are unraveling in terrible ways in real life.

[tweet 22]
Nearly 10 years in, I'm forced to stop and face the cycle of WoY where odd numbered album begins with so much hope and end in such tragedy.

[tweet 23]
From W5: "Grey Skies & Electric Light", @EaracheRecords has let two songs out: Kiss My Ashes (goodbye) Part II: youtube.com/watch?v=QFfZYy… ...

[tweet 24]
And also from W5: "Grey Skies & Electric Light", Career Suicide (is not real suicide): youtube.com/watch?v=1LNbrB…

[tweet 25]
To write this stuff and to face it is to truly test our fears and beliefs. True: Death is not an exit. But Career Suicide leading to real...

[tweet 26]
It's humbling to write something in strength and conviction, only later to fear what you've created because it hurts too much, is too close.

[tweet 27]
When you see the art you'll understand. It's just not music, n.just artwork, but a piece of work about a broken dream that broke the dream.

[tweet 28]
When meanings become so heartbreakingly ironic, it's hard to face the final product when you live the meanings like a prophecy come true.

[tweet 29]
It's always hard to say goodnight when your relationship has become not with one in particular, but the medium in general. Good is gone.

[tweet 30]
It's dark, it's cold, weighed down with snow. A heart is heavy in the north tonight.

[tweet 31] as of december 27 - 8 days ago, and DG's final tweet
What is this season without a willingness to allow for communication to flow in hopes for understanding? What is there to be afraid of?

____

R.I.P David Gold, an amazing musician, an outstanding person, a man who touched the lives of many

Lurking here for a long time, now felt to register. I was shocked and saddened when I heard the news about David. I exchanged a few emails with him and bought CDs and merchandise from him. He was always very friendly and polite, a tragic loss :( my condolences to his friends and family, I also wrote a personal note to his sister and got a very friendly reply, seems the whole Gold family is very nice and friendly.

The tweets from David that solipsism posted do look very pessimistic, dark and tbh also pretty much suicidal. This combined with the lyrics of Woods V really makes me wonder if it was an accident or not. But as I do not know him personally it is hard to say. Most people here say he was full of life and stuff, pretty much the opposite of what his last tweets say. Also made me wonder why he was walking on/along the highway, wasn't he traveling home by car ?

I hope his family and friends will get thru these hard times. At least he will always be with us with the amazing music he made. R.I.P David, you are missed.

Okay. The tweets from solipsism, combined with the lyrical content of Woods V (even more so than usual) seem to indicate a person profoundly unhappy with life, with what's going on in the world, and -- for some reason -- unhappy with the album he had just created...an album I think is mind-blowing musically and profound lyrically.

If David meant those tweets (and wasn't just "in character" for some reason, being the bleak and dark protagonist of a Woods album), it appears he wasn't happy with his career and felt for some reason that Woods V was the "career suicide" spoken of in the opening track.

Tweet #17 seems to contradict Tweet #20, although the general direction of all of them seemed to be marching inexorably toward an all-pervasive despair.

Jeez. I don't know what to think of those tweets.

What I do know for a fact is that I listened to the entire Woods V album last night and felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It was a haunting, achingly beautiful experience. Yet it conveyed an air of finality that I didn't get from listening to previous Woods albums. Granted, this could be hindsight talking. I'm aware of that. Yet, the spirit of Woods V is different to my ears. The entire album seems to be a message, David's penultimate message...with what happened on that stretch of highway -- intentional or not -- the final piece of the puzzle.

Still, I refuse to believe what happened to be anything more than an accident. Until we are told the truth (if it will ever be known), I'm going to assume this was a tragic accident that robbed the world of a truly gifted musician and a very fine human being.

Just got word that the David memorial at Ralph's has changed a bit. One of the locals will be doing acoustic performances of some Woods songs.

my new signature for some forums or just a picture:
bickbath.png

Neither good-looking nor enough to honor David. But I made it myself.
If someone wants to, feel free to copy it (although The Black Death's looks better).

Last spring Dave asked if I was going to be able to make it to Charlotte to see them-- I told him I already had good floor seats for Rush in Greenville the same night.

His response:

"Haha, aw man, go see that RUSH show! I would! :) Floor seats too!

I got 30 years left in me... RUSH don't!

DG"

RIP David.

Either way, I wrote David's sister on Facebook tonight, but if anyone knows where I can jump the gun and have some donations sent for his memorial, please let me know. If there's one thing that hustling along I-10 has taught me, it's that taking care of your own in situations like this is the most important thing.

Contact his sister, Marie, for information about that. mariechristinegold@hotmail.com

I think we need to be mindful of what we say in these early days. I would not like to see a rumour start while his family is still trying to cope.

Poor fuckin' guy. It breaks my heart. I've been listening to WoY since I was 15. I'm 24 now. Woods has gotten me through some tough times, and I always felt like I could relate directly to David. I always felt like we shared a lot of personality traits. I'm seriously heartbroken.

Poor fuckin' guy. It breaks my heart. I've been listening to WoY since I was 15. I'm 24 now. Woods has gotten me through some tough times, and I always felt like I could relate directly to David. I always felt like we shared a lot of personality traits. I'm seriously heartbroken.

This. :(

I don't believe Dave just woke up one day and said im going to take a walk on the freeway and die. I find it hard to believe it was a suicide. The winter is very dangerous in Canada, and pedestrians die all the time from walking on the streets or on the side of the streets. Most suicides have a note left behind, there is easier ways to die. It does seem strange some of the tweets and lyrics, but it is a black and doom band so of course the lyrics are going to be a little dark. Dave always did say If there is going to be another album, but always assumed he was talking about record sales and production budgets costs.

winter driving may be dangerous in Canada, and pedestrians do 'die all the time', but how often is someone walking along the highway in the middle of no where? i still don't believe it was suicide, but i don't think there is enough pointing either way
there is the outlet mall at hwy 89, and i think a mcdonalds/gas station on the other side of the highway? it's been a while since i've been up there, maybe he was crossing to the other side, although i thought there was a fence along the median to stop crossing, i could be thinking of a different highway
although one site said it was north of 89, south of 21, absolutely nothing else in between
hoping more details could be shed to end the speculation

"Have their been any updates on what exactly happened here? I am hearing conflicting stories and would really like to know the truth. I was informed he was assisting someone else and was walking back to his car. Is this true? This was a good man and I am so saddened by his tragic, untimely passing. "
- SooGrl (http://www.newstalk1010.com/News/localnews/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10329266)

This seems much more likely than suicide.

I feel so bad... I wish I could have met him and told him that he was such an inspiration to me. Never have that chance again.

Worst fucking day ever.
Yes. First Christopher Hitchens dies, and now David Gold. I seem to be losing people I respect.

For those of you who will not be able to attend David's funeral tomorrow, please play some woods and have a few drinks to honor David. We might not be there in the flesh but we are there with his family by playing his music and remembering him. Also there are some upcoming things that are planned for the memory of David - A documentary of his life in being made so if any of you have pictures/video's or any stories that you would like to share, please feel free to send them to my email tiffany_mearow@hotmail.com

Also I am working with the family and close friends of David on putting on a Tribute show for him. As of now nothing is set in stone but the plans are coming together. Toronto Ontario is the place that the show would be happening.

Thank you all for your kind words and your prayers. As more details come together about these upcoming events you will all be notified. Thanks again!