Good guitar pedal for Sludge metal?

O rly?

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'm looking a [effects] pedal ideal for playing stuff like Eyehategod.
Other info:
My amp- A 75 watt Randall
Guitar- Gibson SG.

Swedish death metal is a death metal music scene developed in Sweden. Many Swedish death metal bands are associated with the melodic death metal movement, thus giving Swedish death metal a different sound from other variations of death metal. Unlike American death metal groups, the first Swedish bands were rooted in punk rock.

band discography

Swedish death metal is a death metal music scene developed in Sweden. Many Swedish death metal bands are associated with the melodic death metal movement, thus giving Swedish death metal a different sound from other variations of death metal. Unlike American death metal groups, the first Swedish bands were rooted in punk rock.

band discography

:Spam:

They don't make pedals that achieve that sound. I found an amp that nearly nailed the sound on In the Name of Suffering. It's known simply as the "Peavey Bass". The guitar model of this amp is the "Musician". However, the sound is not versatile and barely usable for anything that isn't intended to be terrible sounding. That is why I love the amp. You can get these for around $60-$200.

If you're looking for an alternative to this, I would suggest tube+loud.

In my experience, any distortion pedal with both midrange and "mid freq" or "mid sweep" controls is capable of almost any tone. Something like the VisualSound Jekyll & Hyde has both overdrive and distortion circuits, plus a good EQ, and could do it. Or you should be able to get some results (albeit with less EQ control) from an old Boss HM-2, Marshall Guv'nor or Big Muff.

As an alternative, just an EQ pedal combined with your amp distortion might get you what you want. I have an Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ pedal that absolutely can nail a sludge metal tone, although that's not what I use it for.

In my experience, any distortion pedal with both midrange and "mid freq" or "mid sweep" controls is capable of almost any tone. Something like the VisualSound Jekyll & Hyde has both overdrive and distortion circuits, plus a good EQ, and could do it. Or you should be able to get some results (albeit with less EQ control) from an old Boss HM-2, Marshall Guv'nor or Big Muff.

As an alternative, just an EQ pedal combined with your amp distortion might get you what you want. I have an Electro-Harmonix Tube EQ pedal that absolutely can nail a sludge metal tone, although that's not what I use it for.

I would say some kind of boutique tube pedal might be able to do a job, but really I'd go for a guitar with high-gain humbuckers, a big nasty amp, not necessarily tube, but something with enough bass, and maybe add an OD pedal on top of it.