Good music to listen to when you're depressed?

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
What do you like to listen to when you're depressed? For me it's been Burzum, Opeth, Paradise Lost, and Lacuna Coil lately. I used to just listen to songs about suicide when I was depressed. I'm depressed very often. What songs or bands do you recommend listening to when depressed?

type o negative for me. check out their album "world coming down". nothing beats songs like "everyone i love is dead"
~gR~

"Everyone I Love is Dead" is an awesome song. Type O Negative is definately a good bet. I also like to to listen to things like My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree (to get me out of the depressive mood), even Nile and Mastodon at times, if my depressive-ness suddenly turns to anger.

Not to be a shrink or anything, but listening to depressing music "while" you are depressed seems rather self defeating.

I throw on some Motley Crue or Dokken if I am in a shitty mood. The whole point is to get out of it right?? Unless you guys take certain pleasures wallowing in your feces :zombie:

The heavier stuff that I listen to ... Morbid, Decapitated and even Burzum I listen to when I am charged up and wired ... it helps me burn energy!

If I feel like staying depressed...
Katatonia - Brave Muder Day
October Tide
Daylight Dies - No Reply
Vehemence - God Was Created

If not..
Opeth
Skinless - Foreshadowing Our Demise
Dan Swano - Moontower
And just lately....Tenhi

well... my depressed band is Sentenced... if you don't already have the 'Cold White Light', I suggest you pick it up if you like depressing music. When I'm feeling low, I put it in and... as lurch so appropriately put it, I wallow.

lurch70 said:
Not to be a shrink or anything, but listening to depressing music "while" you are depressed seems rather self defeating.

I throw on some Motley Crue or Dokken if I am in a shitty mood. The whole point is to get out of it right?? Unless you guys take certain pleasures wallowing in your feces :zombie:

The heavier stuff that I listen to ... Morbid, Decapitated and even Burzum I listen to when I am charged up and wired ... it helps me burn energy!
Strangely enough, it is depressing music that helps me most when I'm depressed. Depressed music helps me feel better, while music with lyrics about girls and partying would just piss me off and make me feel worse.

I can see it from both sides. I usually go for the depressing songs when I'm depressed or something, so check out this thread, for the 1736th time: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=49639
There was also a thread a while back with uplifting songs and a thread with drinking songs, but I don't wanna go look for that, especially since the search engine is FUCKED UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lurch70 said:
For me it's the opposite effect, when I am depressed, depressing music makes me realize how bad I DON'T have it, and I feel better! Life of Agony is the perfect group for me, their first CD is so horrifically depressing that it always makes me feel better after listening to it.

Life Of agony River Runs Red You almost wanna Kill your self Just listening to it

ParadiseLost Icon
This is for when I am feeling bad for myself Then it gets cranked right up to some manowar And I feel Better!

I usually listen to metal to get fired up and for jumping around . the olny execption is doom metal. when i depressed i listen to doom or goth rock or indie as it had that mopey self pitying air about it which helps a lot when your depressed

joy division
the cure
the smiths
red house painters
Katatonia
Paradise Lost

When depressed...which is not often:

Sentenced-Crimson
My Dying Bride-Like gods of the sun
Opeth-To bid you farewell
Nightingale-The closing chronicles