Good way to start sweeping

Zack

charting my way to top :)
Feb 9, 2005
I have been having a lot of trouble starting sweeping, but I found a good riff that helped me get going. Arch Enemy's "Lament of A mortal Soul" has a really nice and slow sweep in the beginning of the first solo that is perfect to begin this technique on. Are there any more riffs out there like this one?

hey...

im not a guitarist... but u can download this software(maybe u already have it) GUITAR PRO.... then u can like get the tabs of any song from www.mysongbook.com and a midi file will play... i think u get it.. so u can find loads of excersizes on sweeping n all.. so that'll be a good option and u obviously lisn to cob... so try their songs....and most of all... KEEEP TRYING... NEVER GIVE UP..!!

all the best dude...
peace..!

Sweeping isnt THAT hard, and it's well worth it... (directed at Krigloch) I remember when I first started trying, I got really frustrated with it... but I persevered and now I'm pretty comfortable with most 5 string sweeps... just start out slow and only on two strings... here are a few fun little sweeping licks to practice:

|---------------------|
|------12-h-15-p-12--|
|--14----------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|
|--------------------|

|----------9-h-12-p-9------|
|------11---------------11-|
|--12----------------------|
|---------------------------|

If your feeling a little more ambitious:...

|----------------------8-h-12-p-8----------------------|
|------------------10--------------10------------------|
|--------------10----------------------10--------------|
|----------10------------------------------10----------|
|--8-h-12--------------------------------------12-p-8-|
|-------------------------------------------------------|

Not trying to be annoying or pushy, but if you just start out with easy stuff an persevere, you'll get there... when you first start out struggling to play smoke on the water, reaching the level your at right now might've seemed insane. I know i didnt ever think I'd be able to play a solo, but I just kept trying and eventually it payed off. So whenever I think: godamn I'll never be half as good as Alexi Laiho or Yngwie Malmsteen, I just remind myself... its all relative... and if you got where you are right now, why stop there? Never give up!

when i first learned how to sweep, the first lil lead thing in Silent Night Bodom Night - CoB got me started, simple 3 string sweeps, once you can master those, try adding in a 4th and 5th string and your on your way

I started out learning bits and pieces from Yngwie's and Jason Becker's songs. Then I moved on to Ritchie Kotzen which incorporated all 6 strings and allowed me to see how to connect certain arpeggios to get a jazzier sound. (cant think of the names of the songs right now)

It took me a month straight 6 hours per day, to get everything perfect at a slow ass tempo. Then I worried about the speed of everything and my ability to mix everything into my lead with fluency. Goodluck.:headbang:

_chris_

yea Warhead has the idea! practise heaps, you can never go wrong there.. jus take it Really slow.. REALLY SLOW!! if u can master it slow.. then make it a lil faster.. then keep increasing.. thats how i learnt. its well worth it