Goodwill

Metroplexopolis

New Metal Member
Aug 4, 2005
Greetings!
I am new to the forum. I am from the Mike Portnoy forum.
I am also a huge Synphony X fan for about a year now.(Sorry it took me so
long to find out)
I had the best experience 2 nights ago in Dallas at the Gigantour show.
This was my first time seeing Symphony X live.
All I can say is :OMG:
That was truly an amazing (But way too short) set.
What was the coolest though was during Dream Theater's encore.
As many of you may know Pantera is a local band here in Dallas.
Dream theater decided to do a 1 off tribute to Dimebag since this was his hometown. They closed their set with Pantera's Cemetary gates.
This was amazing because it started out with Jordan Rudess(Keyboards)
playing the clean acoustic part on his keyboard with James singing the first clean part.
John Petrucci (guitar) then played the heavy parts and Russell joined
James on stage and sang the raspy vocal and harmonized with James on the verse.
http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 204.jpg
http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 205.jpg
http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 206.jpg
http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 207.jpg

Then Russell left, and Burton Bell from Fear Factory joined James and
sang the 2nd verse raspy vocal and harmonized the chorus,

http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 211.jpg
http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 212.jpg

Then Burton left and DT was joined on stage by Dave Mustaine
for the solo

http://www.musiciansplanet.com/originalimages/Gigantour 215.jpg

and to finish it off James sang the last 3 "Gates" by himself and nailed them all!

I know there have been some rumors of a rivalry in the past between these two prog metal giants....However I would hope that this is not the case and wanted to bring a little something special to this forum.
Overall the DT community are a good bunch of ProgMetalheads.
I also think that there are going to be quite a few newly converted Symphony X fans after this tour due to the AMAZING performance that these guys delivered.
(These are not my pics and they are copyrighted by the owner, Please do not use for anything)
Thanks and to quote Russell..." Let's ride.." :headbang:

Cemetery gates is the only song that i like from all the Pantera discography. I gotta find the bootleg for this tribute someway... Anyone has it ?

I feel sorry for you and the newcomers that might join. All the cool people that are still here are cynical fucks and we loathe DT. I am not bashing you by any means...I don't want to deprive the band of a forum full of people I only think are cool. :erk:

Welcome to the forum Metroplexopolis!

dargormudshark said:
I feel sorry for you and the newcomers that might join. All the cool people that are still here are cynical fucks and we loathe DT. I am not bashing you by any means...I don't want to deprive the band of a forum full of people I only think are cool. :erk:
I actually have no idea what you're talking about - when did the non-cynical cool people leave? I would have thought most people here enjoyed DT's music - perhaps a few aren't so fond of the last couple of releases, but loathe is far, far from the mark and there are a great many people here who have the ability to appreciate more then one band at a time...
I like a lot of DT and I think they're an awesome band, not that that has anything to do with anything - as this is the Symphony X forum, not DT bashing forum.

I really could not care less if you consider me cool or not, however comments like this one, and "Indiana Jones is a faggot" lead me to believe your definition of "cool" isn't one I would readily share.

impossible for there to be a rivalry between two bands with COMPLETELY different levels of success, as well as different musical styles. DT has a much larger fan base, much higher record sales, plays bigger venues, and whether you like it or not, has become the biggest and most influencial progmetal band on the scene. If every band could do it as good as them, they would, but they all cant. That being said, I absolutely love SX and hope that they too can someday achieve the very same for themselfs. They deserve it!

Oh yeah, didnt Romeo thank Mike Portnoy for putting in a good word with Mustaine to get them on Gigantour??? Quite a rivalry we've got here folks.

Luis said:
One of the worst forum on internet.
...Way to welcome the guy. Insult the only thing he's told us about himself. Great.

I feel sorry for you and the newcomers that might join. All the cool people that are still here are cynical fucks and we loathe DT. I am not bashing you by any means...I don't want to deprive the band of a forum full of people I only think are cool.
Loathe DT? I didn't like the last few released, but as for the rest of their discography, I think they're geniuses.

And who the hell put you in charge of who's cool (or who's cynical, for that matter)? There are still plenty of people I love to talk to on this forum, and I know I'm not alone. Just... tell me I misunderstood what you were getting at there.

And most importantly- welcome to the forum, Metroplexopolis, and thank you for the pics. I'm seeing Gigantour on the 17th and I'm pumped for it.

geeeez, the guy was just saying he's a newly converted symphony X fan, and some folks have to bash his liking of dream theater? That's kinda messed up.

Personally, I love DT and Sym X, and I thought Train of thought was a great album so :p

Welcome to the boards mate, and hope you enjoy your stay :)

Same name....Just thought it would be easier in case I ran into somebody on either board...
Thanks (almost) everbody for making me feel welcome.
I'll go ahead and mention that I am a Rush fan also....

FLAMMERS lol!!! Welcome to the forum dude, and congrats on being a fan of Symphony X...

I really think the majority of people on the forums regard DT as very talented artists, despite what a few cynical basts might think :p

As For gigantour, I have no doubt Symphony X and DT will be pulling out the best sets during Gigantour !

OfSinsAndShred said:
...Way to welcome the guy. Insult the only thing he's told us about himself. Great.

Loathe DT? I didn't like the last few released, but as for the rest of their discography, I think they're geniuses.

And who the hell put you in charge of who's cool (or who's cynical, for that matter)? There are still plenty of people I love to talk to on this forum, and I know I'm not alone. Just... tell me I misunderstood what you were getting at there.

And most importantly- welcome to the forum, Metroplexopolis, and thank you for the pics. I'm seeing Gigantour on the 17th and I'm pumped for it.

This forum is hilarious sometimes. Welcome Metroplexopolis. There are a lot of non-cynical, non-DT haters here and I'm one of them (and apparently un-cool :Smug: ). I also wasn't thrilled with their last 2 releases, but I love a lot of their earlier stuff and still think they are amazingly talented.

Since when was there a SX/DT rivalry? News to me.

Anyone know if they're going to do the Pantera song at any other shows? I'd love to see that!:headbang:

Unfortunately...no.
DT is notorious for plAYING "One off covers"
For example;
One show they covered Master of Puppets......The entire album :Smug:
At another show they covered The Necromancer, and the Fountain of Lamneth from Rush's Caress of Steel.
If you are fortunate enough to catch these shows....you are lucky.....