Got the new Dimmu Borgir "In Sorte Diaboli" pre-release

Well, I'm not sure what Stormblast to get, both versions were at the CD store but I heard the first one didn't have Sorgen Kammers on it(the newer version is different from the original from what I read) and the newer version comes with a DVD and a patch, same price, so I don't know. What should I get?

Well, I'm not sure what Stormblast to get, both versions were at the CD store but I heard the first one didn't have Sorgen Kammers on it(the newer version is different from the original from what I read) and the newer version comes with a DVD and a patch, same price, so I don't know. What should I get?

The original version should have the original "Sorgens Kammer" - the piano track that was plagiarised from a video game - unless they have a re-release of the original album with it removed. The "Sorgens Kammer" on Stormblast 2005 has nothing to do with the original, and is pretty shitty in my opinion.

If you're not counting the extra goodies that come along with the new CD, I'd say get the old one if you're more into old school BM and get the new one if you're more into high-production stuff, or melodeath. I personally prefer the old one because of the rawness, and because the new one sounds overly noisy to me - especially the drumming.

I'm not into melo-death but the new Sorgen Kammers was the reason I wanted Stormblast. I'm into old school BM though. :)
Production doesn't matter to me generally.

STIAN AARSTAND WAS WHAT MADE THEIR FIRST TWO ALBUMS THEIR BEST! NOTICE AFTER THAT THEIR MUSIC IS COMMERCIAL AND BAD.

I KNOW DON'T THEY! I (l) MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON.

Dude you are such a poser. You try to act like you are all kvlt and tr00 by liking Burzum and old Dimmu and bashing new Dimmu but you are the same clown who went on and on about how awesome St. Agner was and how great you though God Hates Us All was. You are only saying this shit to fit in with the tr00 metalheads on this forum and get internet cred. Dude don't even bother you blew any chance of that you may have had.
Also Stian was hardly the driving force behind Dimmu, Shagrath and Silenoz have always held that roll. And furthermore Enthrone Darkness Triumphant had Stian on it... which was of course AFTER Stormblast so your little theory about everything Dimmu has made after Stormblast is shit because Stian left is null and void.

Dude you are such a poser. You try to act like you are all kvlt and tr00 by liking Burzum and old Dimmu and bashing new Dimmu but you are the same clown who went on and on about how awesome St. Agner was and how great you though God Hates Us All was. You are only saying this shit to fit in with the tr00 metalheads on this forum and get internet cred. Dude don't even bother you blew any chance of that you may have had.
Also Stian was hardly the driving force behind Dimmu, Shagrath and Silenoz have always held that roll. And furthermore Enthrone Darkness Triumphant had Stian on it... which was of course AFTER Stormblast so your little theory about everything Dimmu has made after Stormblast is shit because Stian left is null and void.

I agree Dimmu has always been Shagrath and Silenoz, for the most part have been the driving force behind the band. I do like Stian's work with the band and the synth on For All Tid was phenomenal, but he was hardly a devoted enough member and was kicked out. And if I remember correctly reading a couple interviews, I don't think was even really that much into black metal. I honestly did like his image though (unique to black metal and silly), kinda reminds me of a Boy 'Georgian' version of the Jack the Ripper :lol:

And I believe Tristan was bass for only those two albums? Considering he played bass in black metal band, maybe he was in fact the reason for the success of those two records :Smug: ...not.

I agree Dimmu has always been Shagrath and Silenoz, for the most part have been the driving force behind the band. I do like Stian's work with the band and the synth on For All Tid was phenomenal, but he was hardly a devoted enough member and was kicked out. And if I remember correctly reading a couple interviews, I don't think was even really that much into black metal. I honestly did like his image though (unique to black metal and silly), kinda reminds me of a Boy Georgian version of the Jack the Ripper :lol:

And I believe Tristan was bass for only those two albums? Considering he played bass in black metal band, maybe he was in fact the reason for the success of those two records :Smug: ...not.

:lol:

I'm not into melo-death but the new Sorgen Kammers was the reason I wanted Stormblast. I'm into old school BM though. :)
Production doesn't matter to me generally.

It's not just production. The old one has tons more atmosphere, and is more melancholy. The new one is faster too, less dynamic (guitar overpowers everything else) and sounds more like a Belenos record.

I basically enjoy all of Dimmu's albums (not as much with the last two) but comparing their early days to their current stuff is almost like comparing two different bands. Though you can see how they progressed and gradually took a different direction with each release.

If there was a couple things that I wish Dimmu would improve upon, those would be more interesting guitar work. Silenoz and Galder are good enough guitarists that they can do better. It sounds like Galder had more influence on the new album. I personally enjoyed Astennu on Spiritual Black Dimensions, easily the best guitarist they've ever had - wish they still had him. And another thing, like many people I really enjoy Vortex's backing vocals. His work on PEM and especially SBD was beyond excellent. I don't necessarily know if his style works as good with the newer material though. I remember reading an interview with Shaggers a few years ago and he said they didn't use him as much on DCA because they didn't want it to become somewhat cliche - I don't completely understand that logic though, because I don't think using him that often would be cliche since vocals are essentially an instrument anyways.

It's not just production. The old one has tons more atmosphere, and is more melancholy. The new one is faster too, less dynamic (guitar overpowers everything else) and sounds more like a Belenos record.

I agree, I thought the drums being more prominent especially affects the atmosphere and such. This is somewhat of an example, of how black metal is suited for lesser production the majority of the time. And yeah, As for Belenos, defintely same thing with their most recent album. The production was good but I think it would have benefited from having a more raw production, and less polished.

I basically enjoy all of Dimmu's albums (not as much with the last two) but comparing their early days to their current stuff is almost like comparing two different bands. Though you can see how they progressed and gradually took a different direction with each release.

If there was a couple things that I wish Dimmu would improve upon, those would be more interesting guitar work. Silenoz and Galder are good enough guitarists that they can do better. It sounds like Galder had more influence on the new album. I personally enjoyed Astennu on Spiritual Black Dimensions, easily the best guitarist they've ever had - wish they still had him. And another thing, like many people I really enjoy Vortex's backing vocals. His work on PEM and especially SBD was beyond excellent. I don't necessarily know if his style works as good with the newer material though. I remember reading an interview with Shaggers a few years ago and he said they didn't use him as much on DCA because they didn't want it to become somewhat cliche - I don't completely understand that logic though, because I don't think using him that often would be cliche since vocals are essentially an instrument anyways.

Shagrath secretly resents Vortex for being perfectly qualified to take his job. Vortex can growl as good as any BM vocalist, so Shagrath is basically a dead weight if not a hindrance.

^I like Vortex's harsh a lot myself, Shagrath's are good as well, I need to go back and listen to Vortex's and decide who I like better, haven't heard his vocals in a long time. What band and/or album can I hear Vortex's harsh vocals from?

^I like Vortex's harsh a lot myself, Shagrath's are good as well, I need to go back and listen to Vortex's and decide who I like better, haven't heard his vocals in a long time. What band and/or album can I hear Vortex's harsh vocals from?

Borknagar's Quintessence and The Archaic Course both feature Vortex's growling. Both are the and one of my top favorite albums of all time.

^Cool, I'll check them out, I liked what I heard from Borknagar on Black Metal Radio but I really don't remember the albums, same with Arcturus. i'll be on AIM later so maybe you could send a song if you want?

I'm not sure about that one. While Vortex is definitely a more versatile vocalist, and his clean vocals are fucking amazing, I'm not sure he could sound quite as vile and inhuman as Shagrath. His voice fuckin' scares me sometimes...

While I say this without much familiarity with Vortex's harsh vocals, one thing I really like about Shag's is that there's still a somewhat discernible midrange pitch while he growls. He doesn't use it nearly as well as he could, but there are a few times when this quality really comes out.

There's this part in "Dreamside Dominions", just after the 3-minute mark, when he repeats the "losing control in seductive madness" verse, and it sounds absolutely deadly, yet all the more so because his vocals actually harmonize with the keyboard melody somehow. ...Although Vortex seems to be singing with him at that point, so hopefully it's not just him that I hear harmonizing.

Overall, I think Shagrath has his moments, though they seem to be more confined to the earlier albums. By DCA, he'd definitely gotten a lot cheesier and less serious-sounding. I still haven't heard ISD yet, so maybe he got better.