Got the new Dimmu Borgir "In Sorte Diaboli" pre-release

In Sorte Diaboli would be my 2nd least favourite Dimmu album. This is just my opinion, a rough idea of how I would rank from greatest to least greatest. Though I haven't listened to some for a while so it may change.

1. For All Tid
2. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
3. Spiritual Black Dimensions
4. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
5. Death Cult Armageddon
6. Stormblåst
7. In Sorte Diaboli
8. Stormblåst (re-release)

If you're wondering why Stormblåst is so low? Personally I think the album is overrated, and the album seems unfinished maybe like the potential just wasn't fully utilized. Some of their best material along with some mediocre songs. Also I'm not very fond of the slow melody that kind of drags on throughout the album.

As far as I'm concerned For All Tid will always be their best album. PEM & SBD were great especially with the addition of Vortex on backing vocals, and SBD also had their best guitar work with Astennu. EDT was great but a bit heavy on the 'grand' organ/synth. DCA was good as a whole (weaker as individual songs) and I feel it is their most epic release, far more so than In Sorte Diaboli.

In Sorte Diaboli would be my 2nd least favourite Dimmu album. This is just my opinion, a rough idea of how I would rank from greatest to least greatest. Though I haven't listened to some for a while so it may change.

1. For All Tid
2. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
3. Spiritual Black Dimensions
4. Enthrone Darkness Triumphant
5. Death Cult Armageddon
6. Stormblåst
7. In Sorte Diaboli
8. Stormblåst (re-release)

If you're wondering why Stormblåst is so low? Personally I think the album is overrated, and the album seems unfinished maybe like the potential just wasn't fully utilized. Some of their best material along with some mediocre songs. Also I'm not very fond of the slow melody that kind of drags on throughout the album.

As far as I'm concerned For All Tid will always be their best album. PEM & SBD were great especially with the addition of Vortex on backing vocals, and SBD also had their best guitar work with Astennu. EDT was great but a bit heavy on the 'grand' organ/synth. DCA was good as a whole (weaker as individual songs) and I feel it is their most epic release, far more so than In Sorte Diaboli.

Wow... um interesting order. Well to each his own. Personally I feel FAT is their worst album... it seems very bizarre and disjointed. For me the order goes something like this:
SBD
EDT
SB (1996)
PEM
ISD
SB (New)
DCA
FAT

Wow... um interesting order. Well to each his own. Personally I feel FAT is their worst album... it seems very bizarre and disjointed. For me the order goes something like this:
SBD
EDT
SB (1996)
PEM
ISD
SB (New)
DCA
FAT

Yeah, I always find that people have different opinions on Dimmu's albums - usually I find that Stormblåst and EDT are the most popular...but for me personally, I can't describe how great For All Tid is. The overall melancholic feel, great synth work. Such a beautiful album, one of the best I've ever listened to! Though I guess it is kind of ironic that For All Tid is my favourite then followed by PEM (which is basically a polar opposite).

SBD
EDT
SB (1996)
PEM
ISD
SB (New)
DCA
FAT

Pretty much yeah. Only the first three are listenable IMO (although I'd reverse the order to SB>EDT>SBD)

Does anyone listen to the band Bishop of Hexen? "The Nightmarish Compositions" is a fantastic album to say the least. Maybe reminds me of bands like Emperor, Dimmu's SBD and maybe Arcturus. It's a bit theatrical. Mix of blackened vocals, and similar style clean vocals. I strongly recommend people check them out! Especially the song "Stride the Corridors of One's Wind." Amazing stuff. :kickass:

ok, question... i havnt heard the stormlast reissue. what makes it different from the original?
~gR~

ok, question... i havnt heard the stormlast reissue. what makes it different from the original?
~gR~

Shinier production, less atmosphere, overpowering drums, and the removal of that piano track that one of the band members had plagiarised from a video game.

Shinier production, less atmosphere, overpowering drums, and the removal of that piano track that one of the band members had plagiarised from a video game.

so the music didnt change. just improved the production to upset "Atmosphere" nazis. gotcha
~gR~

I think this happens when most bands try to re-record previous songs of theirs. Though I couldn't believe they got rid of the keyboard intro to Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen...

A reason why I didn't like the Stormblåst albums as much is because I don't like that slow background melody thats consistent throughout the entire album. I don't know why some melodic metal (mainly Melodic Death Metal) just makes me sick. The only song I liked off the new Stormblåst is "Sorgens Kammer - Del II" because it didn't have that.

Here's a setlist from an April 21st show, mostly the same for the rest of the tour I imagine.

Intro
Progenies of the Great Apocalypse
Vredesbyrd
Cataclysm Children
Kings of the Carnival Creation
Sorgens Kammer del II
Indoctrination
A Succubus in Rapture
The Serpentine Offering
Drum solo
The Chosen Legacy
The Insight and the Catharsis
Spellbound
Mourning Palace
The Fallen - Outro

A bit too much EDT stuff, but a great setlist regardless.

you know what the devildriver set list is?

so the music didnt change. just improved the production to upset "Atmosphere" nazis. gotcha
~gR~

I have to admit, the re-recording did help to bring out the epic quality of some of the songs. The first two tracks sound particularly powerful. Overall, though, the album's a lot louder and less subtle than the original. I don't think it was necessary for them to make Stormblast sound like all of their other recent albums, but that's what they did.

I think this happens when most bands try to re-record previous songs of theirs. Though I couldn't believe they got rid of the keyboard intro to Alt Lys Er Svunnet Hen...

They also took out the opening riff to "Stormblast", for some reason. The new version really suffers because of that, in my opinion.

I have to admit, the re-recording did help to bring out the epic quality of some of the songs. The first two tracks sound particularly powerful. Overall, though, the album's a lot louder and less subtle than the original. I don't think it was necessary for them to make Stormblast sound like all of their other recent albums, but that's what they did.

maybe they were never happy with the sound quality before. and now that they have the money, they could fix it
~gR~