Great Rock Albums

Collective Soul ~s/t.
Stabbing Westward ~ungod,wither blister burn & peel(rock mixed with industrial)

Three of the best fucking rock albums EVER recorded:

The Stooges-The Stooges
The Stooges-Fun House
The Stooges-Raw Power

If you are gonna only check out one, check out Fun House. One of my favorite records and a fucking classic.

Danzig - First 4
Colour Haze - CO2
Faith No More - First 4
Thin Lizzy - Agreed with all recs so far
Dire Straits - S/t
Fu Manchu - California Crossing & King of the Road
Guns N Roses - Everything up to UYI2
Eric Clapton - Slowhand

etc.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
The Hives (don't know if I'm stepping out of a closet here but I like 'em)
Soundgarden - Louder Than Love (alot of people overlooked early Soundgarden even though they were better back then imo. In fact, the same could be said of Van Halen and their first 5 albums too. I know too many people who don't like Van Halen even though all they've heard of the David Lee Roth era was '1984' - which sucked.)
These Arms are Snakes - Oxeneers

In fact, the same could be said of Van Halen and their first 5 albums too. I know too many people who don't like Van Halen even though all they've heard of the David Lee Roth era was '1984' - which sucked.)

IMO VH is the greatest hardrock band ever.
I disagree that 1984 -sucked. It was a change...more mainstream but still a kickass-great record.
I can even live with the Sammy Hagar stuff, wich at times was great!
Ashame on those people who have only heard and judge the band by 1984. All the albums pre- 1984 (with the exception of Diver Down) are what made or makes VH one of the best bands.

Van Halen-1 is one of the best debut albums ever and still sounds powerful and fresh after all these years.

Fair Warning -Eddie is simply at his best here...creative, dark and edgy. The whole band is in top form... FW is full of machismo, attitude, aggression and power.
If the old-schoolers don't like or have Fair Warning...they must be gay?
If the new-schoolers don't know of it...then they are gay? Listening to FW will make them not gay!

The other records...well, just need to be heard.

Admittedly, Diver Down is the worst of the 1st 5 - the covers are...weird. Van Halen were trailblazers, why they would want to do those covers is perplexing. The Kinks cover is a given but the rest... They were most likely bored, I suppose and wanted to experiment. Probably the same thing that happens to every great rock band. The reason I couldn't get into 1984 is that they wound up sounding like a band that's influenced by Van Halen - you can only blaze a trail for so long, I suppose.

I agree with you as far as Hagar goes. I didn't mind Sammy Hagar - of course, by then, my world was consumed by Iron Maiden and thrash...still, Hagar gets a bad rap - it's not 'hard' rock but it is good rock.

I used to have a picture of Van Halen with all their autographs. It was the first concert I ever went to. My uncle stood around with me for, like, 5 hours to get their autographs. It was in '86 though, when 5150 came out and it had David Lee Roth in it so we didn't get Hagar's autograph. Oh well, good enough, all I really cared about was Eddie's autograph anyway.

Shit...I could talk about Van Halen for hours...

By the way, I agree, Fair Warning will turn a fairy into a pack-leading alpha.

Good stuff, I concure. Could talk forever about them as well.
Funny you mentioned Maiden because both of these bands owned me for the longest time...and they still peak my interest now of course.
I was fortunate to see the latest VH tour with DLR...I had never seen them live with Roth (seen every Sammy tour-most times twice). It was very special, I brought my young son to the VH w/ DLR show and it brought back many great memories. They played great...everything kinda came full cirlce so to speak.

of course...much greatness from Rush! They complete my old-school tri fecta.

Maiden - the metal
VH - the rock
Rush - the progressive rock

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
The Hives (don't know if I'm stepping out of a closet here but I like 'em)
Soundgarden - Louder Than Love (alot of people overlooked early Soundgarden even though they were better back then imo. In fact, the same could be said of Van Halen and their first 5 albums too. I know too many people who don't like Van Halen even though all they've heard of the David Lee Roth era was '1984' - which sucked.)
These Arms are Snakes - Oxeneers

I disagree, I personally prefer later Soundgarden, due to Chris' vocal performances.

Reccomendations..
Collective Soul
Stone Temple Pilots
Early AFI (their punk era)
Alice in Chains
Chevelle
Queens of the Stone Age
Seether
Stone Sour
Tool
Tom Petty.

Some of these aren't hard, but they are all great modern rock (other than Tom Petty, who just kicks ass.)