Heavy, dark rock music?

SouthernTrendkill

Super Normie
Aug 22, 2007
The stuff I've been listening to lately has given me nostalgia for my rock days of old. But the stuff I used to listen to is overplayed and a little on the soft side.

I'm not looking for something slow and doomy, like Acid Bath, though that stuff is cool. I just want something that's not very upbeat, but is very hard or heavy & at least somewhat fast. But not metal, more middle-of-the-road rock music with the rockers and the folk songs and that cool stuff. Kinda like Nirvana or Alice In Chains, but I know all of the old grunge bands. Is there a good modern equivelant to that stuff?

The pop rock I hear on the radio seems to be pretty heavy now adays. But I'd prefer if the vocals weren't in that kinda bleh modern style, I'd prefer more of a rougher thing... like the fake band Coq Roq, hahaha.

Thank you so much for any help!

If you're at all into Tool, you might be interested in Dead Soul Tribe's A Murder of Crows. There's also later era Katatonia

I'm not sure if you have ever heard this band before, but their name is Black Sabbath. They make real heavy, dark blues based music. I think they call them heavy metal or something like that. Check em out!

If you're at all into Tool, you might be interested in Dead Soul Tribe's A Murder of Crows. There's also later era Katatonia

Thanks, those are some good suggestions.

I'm not sure if you have ever heard this band before, but their name is Black Sabbath. They make real heavy, dark blues based music. I think they call them heavy metal or something like that. Check em out!

I said I wasn't looking for doomy stuff. Now get outta ma thread.

I'm not really sure whether they would be heavy enough for you, however I'd recommend early Marillion. They're Neo-Prog Rock. Either one of their first 2 albums, Script for a Jester's Tear and Fugazi, respectively, in particular might fit what your looking for.

The Black League - Ichor, Utopia A.D.
Clutch - s/t, Elephant Riders, Robor Hive/Exodus
Leather Nun - All Your Kin

Try out some Evergrey which is dark melodic metal.

Also try Swallow The Sun who are also melodic yet very dark.

The Tea Party

Really dark, heavy, progressive music from Canada with eastern influences. They have a few videos on youtube. Check out:

The Bazaar
Temptation
Sister Awake
Walking Wounded

I have friends who are huge fans of The Misfits and hate the first Danzig album, so I'm torn between your recommendations and their recs.

danzig is totally different to the misfits, albeit the same vocals and relatively simplistic lyrics. if they are usual punk fans, then it would surprise me if they didn't like danzig I.

misfits are horror punk songs that last at most a minute and a half (excl. cough cool, which sucks anyway). danzig is heavily blues influenced dark rock. its catchy as all hell and i can't see anyone who like heavy metal 'hating' it.