Post-Thrash

Isn't a genre post-something when the essence of it is removed and the aesthetic element remains? Post-rock is rock with the rockstar attitude gone. Post-metal is metal without any headbanging. Post-black is vapid, shoegazing crap. Given this trend, I don't see how post-thrash could exist, or if it did, be any good.

I think it means different things for different cases. I'm under the impresson that post-rock and post-metal are genres of ambient, largely instrumental music that takes some of the aesthetic attributes and electricity of metal or rock but use it for a sprawling, almost symphony-style type of music. Whereas post-grunge and post-thrash are kind of like the wave of music that took the place of their predecessor. Post-grunge refers to the wave of bands that took over for grunge after it got popular, with a similar style but one that was much more concious of mainstream and modern taste. I take post-thrash more in that sense. Groove-metal kind of took over in the maisntream after the success of thrash bands like Slayer and Metallica, with "post-thrash" bands like Lamb of God and DevilDriver remaining as some of the most commercially successful metal bands of today.

Commercial sucsess is the antithesis of thrash. Thrash was formed as a big "Fuck You!" to glam.

Amen. But thrash bands DID have success. It's not all that uncommon, every once in a while a movement that isn't trying to be commercially viable ends up being very commercially viable...