Greatest Doom Metal

TheBahggs

WAT
Feb 21, 2008
Waterford, MI
I have only recently developed a fascination with this genre and have discovered some relatively big name bands like Candlemass and Aeternus to be highly enjoyable. But I want to know who true Doom fans consider to be the best, the essential.

Reverend Bizarre
Warning
Count Raven
Celestial Season
Scald

Some of these probably aren't essential, but they're very good nonetheless.

tiamat - wildhoney
my dying bride - the angel and the dark river
candlemass - nightfall
solitude aeturnus - through the darkest hour
paradise lost - shades of god
anathema - the silent enigma

they all are essential doom

Reverend Bizarre
Solstice
Orodruin
Warning
Oversoul/Dwell Within
Revelation
Solitude Aeturnus
Pagan Altar - Volume One
Reagers-Era Saint Vitus
While Heaven Wept
Fall of The Idols

mourning beloveth - a murderous circle
mournful congregation - the dawning of mournful hymns
funeral - tragedies
nortt - gudsforladt
evoken - a caress of the void
esoteric - the maniacal vale

I have only recently developed a fascination with this genre and have discovered some relatively big name bands like Candlemass and Aeternus to be highly enjoyable. But I want to know who true Doom fans consider to be the best, the essential.

Aeternus is no fuckin way Doom Metal.

Check out:
Lamented Souls - The Origins of Misery
My Dying Bride - Like Gods of the Sun

Cathedral - Endtyme

That's their worst album by far.

Cathedral `forest of equilibrium,soul sacrifice
Solitude Aeturnus without a doubt
Shape Of Despair
Old Anathema and Katatonia
Old Paradise Lost
Trouble `psalm 9,the skull.
Pentagram `relentless,day of reckoning
Saint Vitus `V,Mournful Cries
My Dying Bride
Novembers Doom
October Tide

could you recommend the best by some of these bands?

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory...(cant go wrong with anything by them though. Crush The Insects is my least favorite.)
Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
Oversoul/Dwell Within - Seven Days In November (hard to find. you can download the monkshood demo for free at Bland Hand Records website.)
Revelation - Anything really (Yet So Far/Frozen Masque is a bit different from the rest, featuring Dennis Cornelius of Oversoul/Dwell Within. More along the lines of that band.)
Solitude Aeturnus - you can't really go wrong with this band either. Downfall is the only one I haven't gotten into. The first 3 are classics and Alone is fantastic.
While Heaven Wept - Of Empires Forlorn, Chapter One (you MUST hear the song "Thus With a Kiss I Die"
Fall of The Idols - The Womb of The Earth, The Seance

I also forgot about Unorthodox's Asylum album and watch out for the upcoming album from Apostle of Solitude. It's going to KILL.

That's their worst album by far.

This is a laughable opinion.

I don't actually consider the album stellar, but it's definitely heavier than their early doom - and, to me, sounds a hell of a lot more sinister. "Requiem for the Sun" and "Ultra Earth" are masterpieces.

Hey Doomcifer, have you heard the new Revbiz/Kuolema split? I haven't bothered to get it yet, got the impression that it is pretty meh.