Greenback Swap

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
I was thinking about switching one of the g12t-75s in my marshall 1960a cab for a greenback. I know I'd love the recording options, but Im wondering what it will do live. I have tried to get the two guitar rigs in my band very balanced with each other, and am happy where I'm at. Think I'll hear a tone difference live?

I ran HM75s (t75 clones, essentially, a little smoother) and g25s for a while in my cobra cab. You will notice a difference if you replace one of the top speakers. The pair mixed fairly uniquely, but it was very sensitive to find a spot where the g25 wasn't muddy and the t75 wasn't too fizzy. But I got to a good point with my cobra where the round g25 and the scooped t75 developed a synergy. But your marshall cab will be brighter, so your results may be totally different.

For what it's worth, I love greenbacks and personally like them more than v30s, but it's hard to beat a v30/t75 combo since you already have t75s.

Hm, I was planning on replacing the bottom right speaker. That way I could record it without, hopefully, effecting the live tone too much. My other guitarist used to have a v30/t75 combo mesa cab that I used quite extensively. I must say personally I prefer the Mesa Oversized we have now with v30s. Not sure what that means for my tastes in speaker combos. I just love greenbacks for crunch tones and would love the option, but Dont want to change my live tone really. If Its just the bottom right on a slated cab would that effect the sound much?

If you replace the bottom speaker, the difference won't be huge, I'd imagine. Keep in mind that as you walk across the front of your cab, that's probably when you'll notice the biggest difference as one side will probably sound slightly different than the other.

That being said, though, in my 1960A, I feel that it's the top two speakers that sound the best when mic'd. :D