Grind/DM: double or quad track?

Haamar Hug - Dude thanks for your time on this. Your real thoughtful reply is appreciated. So who is the audience, what sound am i going for? In truth i don't want the smoother gtr sound, i want a bit of an old school feel to the music although my own Cannibal corpse influences always come through (may be CC dual tracked in the old days??). I am definately not going for modern deathcore.

Perhaps i should post a couple of quick clips of my riffage dual vs. quad and get some input?

cheers!

You'd definitely want to stick to dual-tracking with this. You can give a shot to quad-tracking from 2:06 to 2:42 - see what comes up. Adjust the volume in the stereo bus strategically. Automate the bass guitar in those places as well. Oh and yes, don't go for anything other than '100-85-85-100' in the quad-tracked places, as you want to preserve the bass as much as possible.

Regarding the way you want the bass, you're right. It's pretty good the way it sits right now. I know most people would wanna increase it, but I'd rather say increase the 80hz-100hz region by 1.5db while mastering.

By the way, great track. :)

but I'd rather say increase the 80hz-100hz region by 1.5db while mastering.

By the way, great track. :)

Cheers. When you say increase 80-100hz; do you mean on the bass track or on the whole mix(which i could agree is a little bass light...)?

I read somewhere (Here I think) that with addition tracks the harmonics build up making the overdrive distortion sound more saturated . But not a problem with reamping I guess. I suppose this means that a guitar tone designed for quad tracking would need less gain ?... Until I find a suitable reamping box I cant be bothered to try it.

from my meager experience i would say that each gtr needs less gain in a quad track mix than in double tracked. If you are not careful the result quickly becomes over gained and definition goes out the window...