Growing out of metal?

Nile577

Jun 26, 2003
As founding Death and Black Metal musicians reach middle age and the genre celebrates its twentieth anniversary, original fans too approach the chronological knife-edge separating the late thirties and early forties. This is notable because Metal, as a genre, is often typified as celebrating youth, or giving voice to the anger felt by a generation raised under Bible-Belt Christianity or greed-based Capitalism; showcasing a noisy rebellion against scared elders.

Do you foresee yourself ever growing out of metal entirely as middle and finally old age approach? Reasons for such may range from succumbing to the lure of the system itself, mellowing with middle-aged spread or simply ‘hedging one’s bets’ spiritually just in case that Hell place is real after-all (as Pascal might ask, what are Burzum cds compared to ‘eternal torment’?).

I ask you, gentle reader, will Immolation hold the same appeal in fifty years time, walking stick gripped firmly in hand?

One of the most notable changes, tinged slightly with sadness, I underwent in my later teenage years was the realisation that I no longer classed myself as a ‘Metal-head’ or felt much loyalty towards the current genre except out of habit. Someone wise once said ‘you never like a band the way you like them when you’re fourteen’ and for me, the times of hero-worship had passed.

Concomitant with that however was an increased appreciation of select albums. While the field of my listening narrowed, the quality increased four-fold. Now, at 22, other worlds of Classical, Dark Ambient, Electronic and traditional Folk music have opened before me. The ideology I’ve developed through my learning is reflected in my listening and the ideals championed by Metal remain an integral part of my character.

Personally, I will always have a fondness for certain ‘extreme’ albums I consider genius, even if they may gather dust somewhere of have been passed on to relatives. A much-maligned vocalist once wrote, in regards to having a lingering appreciation of Metal, ‘there’s a part of me that’s always sixteen, I’ve found the secret to eternal youth’.

Listening to the intro to Hell Awaits or the opening bars of Day of Suffering, it’s hard to disagree.

My dad's 42 and he loves Burzum and Blut Aus Nord. On the other hand, there's only so far the metal template's boundaries can be pushed without breaking, and I have a feeling that, listening-wise, I'll have exhausted all the possibilities before I reach 20, and the genre itself has already virtually done so. I'm sure I'll get bored at some point. What grasp metal will have on me then, I have no idea, nor do I know whether the great classics of old will still hold the same value.

I've recently come to terms with the problem of growing out of metal, for me, into classical and ambient music (both linked to metal). I've looked through my collection and can pretty much determine which albums I'll still be listening to in 10 year (Burzum and Summoning, among a few more). I can see myself listening to fewer and fewer metal bands as I get older, but this also will serve to seperate the chaff from the rye, so to speak, as I'll get better acquainted with real greats of the genre that will last.

There will always be nostalgia. There are those in their late 30's who still remember the initial rush of popping in Hell Awaits, Schizophrenia, Melissa, Dr. Feelgood, Screaming For Vengeance, Piece of Mind, 1984, Seven Churches, and/or Morbid Tales. Although the aggression factor is one that might exhaust metal's appeal in old age(talking 70's here, so don't get all uppity), the fond memories are the ones that will never be outgrown. Those in GoD's shoes (as well as several others who know who they are) who are in a constant search for intellectual stimulation or the like will grow as weary as the hedonistic beer-drinkers when the pool of elite metal dries up and they eventually will move on to classical music or jazz or Rod Stewart or whatever fills their fancy in the future. I assume they will do as Astral Poetry said and cherish the one or two albums that were the pinnacle of the genre in their respective opinions and move along.

Although I'm reaching the point of being "too old" for the adolescent release that metal's aggression seems to satisfy, my personal appraoch to music is "listen if it sounds good; if it sounds good and feels good, it is good" so my appetite for metal could stick around for quite a while, in addition to country, jazz, pop, electronic, classical, ethnic, avant-garde, experimental, or whatever. Besides, there are plenty of sophisticated metal bands, and I hope it's impossible to outgrow 'rocking out.' Hell, a good bit of my family likes the heavy, and they're pushing their 50's and 60's now.

I've been getting bored with metal as of late, but I still rocked out to Nile earlier today.

I have to agree with Nick(?) here: "my personal appraoch to music is "listen if it sounds good; if it sounds good and feels good, it is good"

I think everyones musical tastes will change, however slightly, with time, it's just a matter of what music does for you. Music for me is an escape, and I don't think I'll ever give up my favourite bands, even if I don't listen to them quite as often when I get older. But I think I have plenty of time to take in metal before I get 'too old'..

I don't think I'll "grow out" of genuinely good music; I listened to a LOT of shit (read: rap) from age 12 up until about four years ago. None of it has withstood the test of time because it was utterly worthless, no matter how awesome I thought it was. Also, now that I'm a bit older, my tastes have solidified somewhat.

Please tell me you at least listen to Public Enemy.

Chuck D is the SHIZNAT! unlike our resident dipshit Fiddy Cent.

[/hiphop rant]

Haha, I haven't listened to much Public Enemy but they're definitely respectable, along with a lot of the older acts, before the "bling-bling" era. :tickled:

Meh, I'm 19 and still discovering new bands(within metal)which are fufilling my needs thoroughly and surpassing previous favourites. I've been listening for metal for around 5 years, though I've only really found my niche within the last two years - and I've never enjoyed metal so much. I doubt I'll stop anytime soon, but I imagine when I do I'll move on to classical or focus on ambient(which I listen to occasionaly), or - dare I say - abandon music altogether.

I've only been into metal for a few years, (I'm only 19) and there are several dozens of bands left to discover. I worry that I will tire of certain genres and not desire to go back and listen to the important bands. For example, I've had my fill of melodeath, and I don't see the need to listen to At the Gates or Dark Tranquility. I picked up Carcass - Heartwork recently, and I have very little desire to listen to it much. If I get the same feeling about black, death, or doom, I might be in trouble. Oh well. I still know there's a lot of stuff out there I want to hear, so it will be some time before I grow out of metal.

I go through non-metal stages all the time... ill go for a couple weeks of listening to mellower rock stuff and then suddenly I'll put on some Nile or Emperor and love it even more than the last time I listened to it. I'm sure I will always enjoy metal and I personally can't wait to share my cd collection with my child if i ever have one and they are interested.

In the past five years, the time I have been seriously into music, I have gone through several shifts in my musical tastes. Looking back at each "period", they all reflect where I was at the time when the music was most important to me. Of course as we change and grow we don't simply leave our past behind us, but rather keep certain elements and leave others. In the same way I still love some of the albums I listened to when I was 14, others I could care less for. I still listen to and love Fiona Apple as much as I did when I fourteen, because she has a certain way of expressing feelings and reflecting on herself that I can very much relate to. On the other hand, Korn, who I once was so deeply moved by now don't do much of anything for me. I simply can't relate to their way of expressing pain and regret in the way I once could.

At this point in my life I relate to no other type of music as much as I do to black metal. The themes self preservation, embracing ones instincts and desires and especially the bond it holds with nature (both internal and external) are all themes that are very important to me at this point in my life. I think these are values that I will hold for a long time to come, and because of that I expect that I will like music which expresses these themes for a long time to come. Still there will surley be a day when I don't listen to black metal, or perhaps metal on the whole, on a daily basis. But I do think there are certain releases that are just so close and personal, that I can't see myself ever disliking them. So to answer the question, right now I am as into metal as I have ever been- theres a very good chance metal will not always be as relevent to me as it is now- but I don't think a day will ever come when I can't put on The Mantle or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and find something redeeming and relevent within it...

I sometimes have periods where I only listen to nu-rock/metal or where I only listen to Nirvana or where I only listen to punkrock for a while, but I always return to metal after a while.
I don't think I will always enjoy metal :confused: but I hope it goes a long time untill it tires me.

I'll have been listening to Metal coming up on 20 years now and I don't think it's so much a matter of growing out of it as it is of "wanting more". But when it comes to "more" that not necessarily being "Metal" but just good music. Over the last 8 years or so I've found myself listening to and buying more varied genres. Heck one of my fav albums of 2004 was from the band Casting Crowns!...contemporary Christian stuff but man the guys rock out and have awesome songs/lyric writing ability. I also find myself listening to more of bands like Riverside which also made one of my top albums of 2004. I'v ealso been listening to a lot of >gulp> COUNTRY lately...then again there's some awesome shredders in that genre I've been checking out so ...don't hate me too much for that haha.

Although I am 17 and listen to more classical and dark ambient rather than metal, I still find value in the ideology and aesthetics of metal for it reflects parts of my worldview and my personal character.

crimsonfloyd said:
In the past five years, the time I have been seriously into music, I have gone through several shifts in my musical tastes. Looking back at each "period", they all reflect where I was at the time when the music was most important to me. Of course as we change and grow we don't simply leave our past behind us, but rather keep certain elements and leave others. In the same way I still love some of the albums I listened to when I was 14, others I could care less for. I still listen to and love Fiona Apple as much as I did when I fourteen, because she has a certain way of expressing feelings and reflecting on herself that I can very much relate to. On the other hand, Korn, who I once was so deeply moved by now don't do much of anything for me. I simply can't relate to their way of expressing pain and regret in the way I once could.

At this point in my life I relate to no other type of music as much as I do to black metal. The themes self preservation, embracing ones instincts and desires and especially the bond it holds with nature (both internal and external) are all themes that are very important to me at this point in my life. I think these are values that I will hold for a long time to come, and because of that I expect that I will like music which expresses these themes for a long time to come. Still there will surley be a day when I don't listen to black metal, or perhaps metal on the whole, on a daily basis. But I do think there are certain releases that are just so close and personal, that I can't see myself ever disliking them. So to answer the question, right now I am as into metal as I have ever been- theres a very good chance metal will not always be as relevent to me as it is now- but I don't think a day will ever come when I can't put on The Mantle or Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and find something redeeming and relevent within it...

Good post, it pretty much sums up my own feeling on the subject. I don't find it very strange that most people get tired of the simpler (as in only expressing feelings of frustration and anger in straight forward manner) music, if one is only into metal for the aggression expressed one will doubtless get tired of it, since anger is so limited and one dimensional.
I enjoy metal, and black metal in particular, because it evokes a feeling I can not find anywhere else, it expresses opinions I agree with within a soundscape which hold a great purely emotional attraction and it actually rejuvenates me. I think the most important thing is that the music corresponds with my view of life and general feelings, those things have to be the reference point and center. If my bitter and dissatisifed way of looking at people and the world persists, then I will most likely continue to enjoy black metal.