Growing out of metal?

I quite recently turned 29, and I don't feel the shadow of this "out growing" process quite yet. Though some bands didn't pass the test of time (Dimmu Borgir, Borknagar, Arch Enemy), I still, to this day, feel that some bands, or albums at least, will always be able to satisfy my sonic needs, at least some some extent (Immortal, Burzum, Dark Tranquillity). But then again, I had the same feeling towards other bands up until a few years ago, but suddenly, a lot of them grew stale (Opeth, Graveland, Hypocrisy). I suppose that just might be ultimate quality test, or, more likely, the ultimate definition of your personal taste.

We've had a bunch of these and everytime we do everyone eventually gets into a completely preventable and utterly needless argument about musical taste or something.

Whatever. I've been listening to metal for almost two years now. I don't see myself dropping completely out of it anytime soon, but I love every other genre of music, pretty much. From very old country to dark ambient to drone to noise to underground and old-school rap.

gonna be 20 next week, and at this point in my life, i feel like music, with metal in particular, is central to my existence in terms of opening doors to ways of thinking i have yet to discover. although i can't say i'm not interested in other types of music, specifically that i'm very much into alternative and fusion; metal has been the one driving force that keeps me going- so to speak. i am intrigued that the heavy genre of metal encompasses movements of such polar opposites in beliefs - religious, political, and social. to me, the interest in metal is the interest in power, in passion, that no other genre of music can evoke, because metal is full of intensity. it speaks of desperation, determination, unbending will and passion- passions both dark and beautiful. only metal captivates me with poetry of conquest, love, cold remorse, brutal anger, and depth. i don't think i will ever turn away from metal even in my dying breath, because to me, metal is as the soul within me, full of a kaliedoscope of emotions that won't go away.

I've been listening to metal for around 10 years now, but i've taken the music more seriously in the last 3 years or so. I don't see myself dropping this type of music any time soon. I've gotten to a point that i've listened to so many bands (good and bad) over the course of the years that my standards get higher and higher everytime I discover a new band. Obviously, it's hard to get the same feeling that I had when I first listened to my first Aeternus Cd, but that's just part of growing up.

Like others have said, a lot of albums will probably be left into oblivion in the upcoming years, but those that touch me in an emotional level and are of high quality will probably stand the test of time.

Yeah, the first couple of Aeternus albums are examples of recordings I think will be on my favourites list for a great deal of my life.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Yeah, the first couple of Aeternus albums are examples of recordings I think will be on my favourites list for a great deal of my life.
I bet they will, they've been a favorite of mine for quite some time now.

anonymousnick2001 said:
There will always be nostalgia. There are those in their late 30's who still remember the initial rush of popping in Hell Awaits, Schizophrenia, Melissa, Dr. Feelgood, Screaming For Vengeance, Piece of Mind, 1984, Seven Churches, and/or Morbid Tales. ....

This is true and I'm one of them. I'll be 38 next month and have been listening to heavy music for well over two decades, over three if you count that I was into Kiss back in the mid 70's.
While there is indeed nostalgia felt for all those various projects and albums mentioned it doesn't end there. At least not for me. All the while since back those many years I've been adding bands and genres to my collection. I'm more into metal now than ever. I love it and can not fathom ever having it absent from my daily activities.

Unlike most of you I've only been into metal, at least more extreme/true metal for about a year or so, I'm only 14 and had been bored with every musical genre that I had previously found interesting, I moved through the infamous nu-metal phase and then got into the usual starter bands like Morbid Angel, Emperor, Darkthrone and the like all of which I still love of course but I find myself looking deeper and at all of the different sub-genres found in metal for bands that I haven't heard before. There's a hunger in me for new music and music that really touches me in ways that so far only metal has, it's a music that is so easy for people like us to connect to and unite under that I don't see myself abandoning it at any time in the future, I do however see myself expanding my metal collection to the point that I am forced to look in new directions within the genre.I suppose we'll all find out in good time.

Scourge of Malice said:
I go through non-metal stages all the time... ill go for a couple weeks of listening to mellower rock stuff and then suddenly I'll put on some Nile or Emperor and love it even more than the last time I listened to it. I'm sure I will always enjoy metal and I personally can't wait to share my cd collection with my child if i ever have one and they are interested.

It's like I posted that :tickled: ! (read: that's my thoughts exactly)

To add to that though, I know that my father likes the same stuff as when he was 16 (my age)... sure he doesn't like ALL of it, but he likes what he considers "the best" of his 16-year-old musical taste... along with that he now enjoys other genres, like classical music for instance, and has come to appreciate metal even (though he doesn't listen to it) for its artistic value.

Heck, even my grandfather listens to the same big-band whateveryoucallit stuff they listened to back in the '30's 40's.

Well, I'm definitely up in the "nearing middle age category"..at least as far as this thread is concerned. I don't think there's any formula that fits everyone for growing out of the music they grew up on. I know or have known several people older than I who still love metal, they may not bang their heads like maniacs anymore(God knows I don't), but they love the sound, the crunch...etc..

As far as branching out to other genres of metal or other genres in general...that's almost necessary for the big music fan. Otherwise you would get bored of course. I'm always looking into progressive stuff that's different, heavier stuff that incorporates mellow parts combining brutal with beautiful. And of course I've always liked jazz, so as I get older I'm sure I'll gravitate towards that even more. But I can honestly say that I'm sure I'll never bore of metal as long as creative musicians continue to change it up.

Seth

My interests in music have changed rapidly over the course of my life (i actually used to listen to rap at one time too). So I'm sure I'll be listening to other things besides metal more so in the future I doubt I'll ever completely grow out of it. People still love the psychadelic rock that was so popular in the sixties and that often rebels against authority, so why won't people in another forty years still appreciate the metal that they listened to as young adults?

I've always considered myself a fan of music in general, but metal is, by far, my preferred genre. I'm 27 now, and after growing up on the stuff (my dad was always playing Maiden, Rainbow and Scorpions when I was growing up) I don't see myself ever "growing" out of it. Hell, my dad is 54 and he's into Megadeth and BLS.