Grunge

EternalEnemy

New Metal Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ok, i dont even know what it is or where it comes from. Recommend some bands for me, go for the most known ones mostly and...yeah. Pioneers and shit.
Shoot

Really? Maybe it's just because I grew up on it, but as far as I'm concerned it was the last great musical movement (in terms of mainstream). Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Mudhoney, etc. Those are the big ones, basically spawned from Seattle.

Alice In Chains was a grunge band in name only. They have their roots in the 80's hard rock and metal music, not in that punk movement from which Nirvana for example has got most of their influences.

I would recomend you bands as Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mother Love Bone and of course Alice In Chains.

After getting more "advanced", you should also check out bands like Mad Season (Layne Staley from Alice In Chains and Mike McCready from Pearl Jam) and Temple Of The Dog (the project included band members from Pearl Jam, Soungarden and Mother Love Bone).

EternalEnemy said:
Ok, i dont even know what it is or where it comes from. Recommend some bands for me, go for the most known ones mostly and...yeah. Pioneers and shit.
Shoot

Well there is a fine line between what is grunge and what is not. Most metal-heads respect Alice in Chains, most do not respect Pearl Jam and Nirvana. Pearl Jam was one of those bands that peaked with their first release..... "Ten" absolutely smoked and it is a must have. I don't even like grunge and own no Nirvana, nor any other Pearl Jam, but to this day, I throw on a song or two from "Ten" from time to time.
"Would" by AiC is pretty bad-ass as well and they have many others as well. The problem with grunge wasn't the innovators, but the followers. Some cool "grunge" would be the Smithereens as well. Those guys were doing that stuff well before Nirvana.

Bryant

The Afghan Whigs
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
The Screaming Trees
Failure (kinda more post grunge)

And get all The Melvins you can find. They aren't grunge, more like abstract stoner metal, but they were probably the biggest single influence on grunge, and Nirvana definitely. From the Seattle area, but more in common with Black Sabbath than Mother Love Bone.

Not that I'm a fan, but nobody mentioned Stone Temple Pilots who's debut was also their best, weren't they grunge too? I love the first 2 Alice In Chains CD's, Nirvana's Nevermore and Soundgarden's Superunknown and Badmotorfinger CD's.

I am a thrash meister but I'll tell you, when I am in the mood for grunge the early stuff by the main three are the best...which would be: Pearl Jam - Ten, Nirvana - Nevermind, and Alice in Chains - Facelift....those are probably the cream of the crop...I hear that the Melvins are cool too, from alot of people but I cannot personally attest to that.

Bryant said:
"Would" by AiC is pretty bad-ass as well and they have many others as well.

Hell yes!

I love that song so much. My band plays it occasionally, such a great song.

On the last 5 chords I tend to smack my bass to play the note, I still have a weird lump thing on my hand from doing it a month or so ago.

Man I'm hardcore... not.

i grew up with this. for me it would be Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, and definitely Soundgarden, their "superunknown" is the only cd from these bands I still listen to from time to time.

ive been into Nirvana since like the 5th grade..and now im a senior...they are a great band but i guess whoever you ask about Grunge, thats the first band that pops up...but really i think my fav. grunge band are Tad and Mudhoney...they sound very different from each other. Tad is more aggressive and Mudhoney is more upbeatish...i got into them like 3 years ago..and since then i think they are the best grunge bands..but then again..i hate it when people label them grunge..

I like grunge. They've done the music scene some good by retiring those hairmetal bands.

Tool's album Undertow is probably their only good album, and I probably like it due to the heavy grunge vibe.

Also: Silverchair, Tad, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, old Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Meat Puppets, Stone Temple Pilots, Mad Season, Candlebox, Alice In Chains, Temple Of The Dog, Melvins, Bush, old Collective Soul, Days Of The New, Jerry Cantrell, Live, and maybe the Pixies all have grunge infl;uence or at least sound like early heavy 90's alternative rock.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Tool's album Undertow is probably their only good album, and I probably like it due to the heavy grunge vibe.

That may be your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it...but you're wrong.

just kidding....kind of.

oh, by the way...Tool, grunge? I don't really think so. And certainly not The Pixies, even though they influenced Nirvana a lot.

Go no further than Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, but especially AIC.
If you were to download some Alice in Chains songs, I'd start with:

Rotten Apple
Nutshell
Them Bones
Rain When I Die
Down in a Hole
Would?
Bleed the Freak
Love, Hate, Love

As for Soundgarden:

Outshined
Limo Wreck
Like Suicide
Zero Chance
Tighter & Tighter

Perdition's Light said:
That may be your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it...but you're wrong.

just kidding....kind of.

oh, by the way...Tool, grunge? I don't really think so. And certainly not The Pixies, even though they influenced Nirvana a lot.
Man..... Tool absolutely gives me the willies (not lyric wise, just more of their "vibe".) I can listen to the weirdest, darkest doom or any kind of "aggressive" metal, but I don't consider Tool to be grunge. Is there a category for weird-freaked-out music ? Tool tops that one.

Bryant

JoshB said:
Hell yes!

I love that song so much. My band plays it occasionally, such a great song.

On the last 5 chords I tend to smack my bass to play the note, I still have a weird lump thing on my hand from doing it a month or so ago.

Man I'm hardcore... not.

Good taste !! "The Rooster" is cool too though I am not really an AIC aficianado (or however you spell that shit.)

I didn't mention it to the original poster, but Tool and Soundgarten have some totally whacked out videos, like "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarten and both "Schism" and "Sober" by Tool.

Bryant