Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

Why not? What is it about Jarzombek's personality that wouldn't fit with Dream Theater.

He's too reserved and quiet IMO. Most of the other guys in the band are already like that. Portnoy was very outspoken and extroverted. Not saying they need someone as outspoken as Portnoy, but I feel that someone who has a little more of an outgoing personality would counterbalance well with the other members.

Not saying they need someone as outspoken as Portnoy, but I feel that someone who has a little more of an outgoing personality would counterbalance well with the other members.

I won't argue with that point, but it also seems really unlikely that the new drummer would become the spokesperson for the band in the way MP had been, so another quiet reserved musician wouldn't necessarily be a problem. Perhaps after 20 years the band is ready to work with a quiet reserved drummer?

I won't argue with that point, but it also seems really unlikely that the new drummer would become the spokesperson for the band in the way MP had been, so another quiet reserved musician wouldn't necessarily be a problem. Perhaps after 20 years the band is ready to work with a quiet reserved drummer?

I wouldn't expect the new drummer to have the same role Portnoy did outside of just drumming either.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I guess we shall see.

Charlie Zeleny, I really loved you playing DT tunes,, I saw you first time and to be honest these was best DT drum covers I ever saw. There are lots of guys who play great, but without much emotion.. but you are playing if they were your own tunes for many years!:D Awesome.

Btw, my personal opinion about DT guys keeping in secret the new drummer's name that they know already for sure, is that they SUCKS!!! Fans, don't think bad about me, I am a fan too.. but who they think they are? Politics? No.. NASA guys working on secret project? No. Only FBI and KGB are keeping in secret their agents names for so long time and this is why I am pretty tired, and already angry for that. I mean for certain time this was understandable, and even exciting.. but right now it went over the line and became just agitating. For many months I was looking everyday for some news.. but now I stopped this and don't care who or when the new drummer will be announced. It just will come with a daily weather news.. not something worth of loosing your nerves.

I have also been reluctant to post here about this whole situation. I however have a different perspective about this than most. I grew up and still live in Long Island and Dream Theater is extremely well known here. I have been a fan since before any albums of theirs were made. My keyboard player that I used to play with took lessons with Kevin Moore before I&W came out.

I don't really care who the new drummer is; let me tell you why.

With the state of the music scene these days, I am just happy that Dream Theater will continue at all. The fact that they still will be making music and touring is a testament to how they really still want to create music. Times have changed and it is extremely difficult to do anything in genre staying afloat. So I remember I&W and the music scene and smile becuase regardless of who the drummer is, I know they will continue to MAKE MUSIC. So will Portnoy, its in his blood. I will also continue to support both DT & Portnoy becuase I just love the music they create. Period.

Mike Mangini is my first guess due to his ties with the band, although I don't prefer his drumming style. Actually hope it's not him. He bores me.

Aquiles Priester would be a great fit, and would be my personal choice to tell the "world". Maybe they are working on Visa issues before announcing? As I saw someone else say, no one would even know the difference except that the drumming would be better. :)

Bobby Jarzombek's my favorite drummer, but I just don't see that happening for some reason.

Jason Rullo, I'd actually not even thought of that, but could be a could fit.

John Macaluso, NY guy, good fit stylistically.

Chris Quirarte, not a bad guess.

Mark Zonder, amazing drummer, too esoteric for this band though.

I guess Marco Minnemann or Thomas Lang could be a good replacement for Portnoy. They are both exceptional drummers. I even saw Jordan Rudess jamming with Marco the other day on an aftershow. Marco have been touring with Necrophagist (technical death metal band), recorded with Paul Gilbert etc. While Thomas Lang is pretty much the best drummer in the world in my opinion.

Mike Mangini is my first guess due to his ties with the band, although I don't prefer his drumming style. Actually hope it's not him. He bores me.

Aquiles Priester would be a great fit, and would be my personal choice to tell the "world". Maybe they are working on Visa issues before announcing? As I saw someone else say, no one would even know the difference except that the drumming would be better. :)

Bobby Jarzombek's my favorite drummer, but I just don't see that happening for some reason.

Jason Rullo, I'd actually not even thought of that, but could be a could fit.

John Macaluso, NY guy, good fit stylistically.

Chris Quirarte, not a bad guess.

Mark Zonder, amazing drummer, too esoteric for this band though.

Yeah, I am feeling as well that Mangini is more LIKELY to be the new drummer, but personally he isn't my favorite drummer. Mark Zonder wrote in his facebook that DT guys never connected him so far, but personally he would have liked to demo some stuff with them. So Mark Zonder is out, sad but true. Chris Quirarte is probably the best choice, becouse of next things; 1)He isn't so famous (yet) as all the other potential names, but he is stylistically exactly like Portnoy and also told Peart to be his main influence, same as Mike's. 2) If Mike Portnoy is to be re-united with DT guys in the future, it would be ''tricky situation'' if he won't be able to play all the stuff that Bobby or Mangini created for new songs. So thinking this way, the new drummer shouldn't be SKILL MONSTER as Bobby for example. Quirarte is top drummer, but isn't among the most amazing ones.. he has arty, tasty and creative things in his style, so there is no ''RISK'' that Portnoy wouldn't be able to play his tunes. I don't think that Rullo likes to exchange SympX for DT career, Macaluso is way too ''JAZZY'' in his style for my taste. Jarzombek looks like the best option in all areas (cool look and breathtaking/active playing style).

I haven't ever heard about Priester yet,, have to check out.

I have also been reluctant to post here about this whole situation. I however have a different perspective about this than most. I grew up and still live in Long Island and Dream Theater is extremely well known here. I have been a fan since before any albums of theirs were made. My keyboard player that I used to play with took lessons with Kevin Moore before I&W came out.

I don't really care who the new drummer is; let me tell you why.

With the state of the music scene these days, I am just happy that Dream Theater will continue at all. The fact that they still will be making music and touring is a testament to how they really still want to create music. Times have changed and it is extremely difficult to do anything in genre staying afloat. So I remember I&W and the music scene and smile becuase regardless of who the drummer is, I know they will continue to MAKE MUSIC. So will Portnoy, its in his blood. I will also continue to support both DT & Portnoy becuase I just love the music they create. Period.

I agree.. it's the best gift already that they are still doing their thing. The day when DT will stop making music, this loss will leave a blackened hole into progressive metal scene. I also liked Marco Minnemann and Thomas Lang.. but somehow never thought they could be on the shortlist.

Jarzombek looks like the best option in all areas (cool look and breathtaking/active playing style).

He is an absolute beast on the drumset, but I just don't see this happening. While they have a number of metallic tunes, I've just always pictured Bobby more of a metal guy and I honestly don't see him wanting to join DT. It would be awesome, don't get me wrong, but I would be shocked if he actually joined.

He is an absolute beast on the drumset, but I just don't see this happening. While they have a number of metallic tunes, I've just always pictured Bobby more of a metal guy and I honestly don't see him wanting to join DT. It would be awesome, don't get me wrong, but I would be shocked if he actually joined.

True! And as far as I remember he is touring with Bach alot and at one point even leaved Iced Earth becouse Bach tour. I don't know for sure if he still tour's with Rob, but for the last years he's been also Fates drummer, and as far as I understood he is recording new album with Fates right now.. and after that should be a tour too.. he seems to be busy with other things indeed. I will be ''positively'' shocked as well if he is the new DT drummer!:D:D

I don't know for sure if he still tour's with Rob, but for the last years he's been also Fates drummer, and as far as I understood he is recording new album with Fates right now.. and after that should be a tour too.. he seems to be busy with other things indeed. I will be ''positively'' shocked as well if he is the new DT drummer!:D:D

He is indeed or at least was with Rob a couple of weeks ago at least when he was in Chicago. I think Halford's solo tour is dying down now as he and Priest are probably going to start preparing for the farewell tour. He does seem like one of these guys who is in a way like Portnoy because he does have all these other projects going on, and if they've learned anything from this whole situation, it's that they need someone who doesn't do that...who can pretty much just focus on DT.

I'm trying to refresh my memory as to where I read this but I believe Jarzombek said he didn't even audition for DT because he was on tour with Sebastian Bach in South America or Europe or something lol. Just that he wasn't available at the time they held auditions.

I'm trying to refresh my memory as to where I read this but I believe Jarzombek said he didn't even audition for DT because he was on tour with Sebastian Bach in South America or Europe or something lol. Just that he wasn't available at the time they held auditions.

I don't remember him saying so, but that's another thing I was thinking about. At the time of the auditions, he most likely was either with Bach or with Halford. I doubt he would've had the time to audition.