Guess the Amp (no TS)

yeah, I_'m surprised not more people have guessed it, it's the mesa.
and ermin, it doesn't work with your stuff, DI's aren't tight enough and the fast palmmutes demands something way tighter...I've still done some reamping and will upload that later tonight....several files to choose from

and ermin, it doesn't work with your stuff, DI's aren't tight enough and the fast palmmutes demands something way tighter...I've still done some reamping and will upload that later tonight....several files to choose from

Ah, that's a shame. All the rhythms were done in one day with a guy who wasn't quite ready and picked rather soft, so it kinda figures.

Here's one with much slower/rock type stuff, but the picking is unfortunately still soft, though tighter: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Sterge Reamp/Sterge-Reamp.rar

Ah, that's a shame. All the rhythms were done in one day with a guy who wasn't quite ready and picked rather soft, so it kinda figures.

Here's one with much slower/rock type stuff, but the picking is unfortunately still soft, though tighter: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Sterge Reamp/Sterge-Reamp.rar

too late, almost done reamping that other song now.
but yeah, really not the best possible DIs, I think the 5150 trakcs turned out usable though...well, you'll see

Define "the Mesa", you have two (you bastard :D) Mark IV? I didn't think it could get so fizzy. And while I know the Dual Rec certainly can, I didn't think it'd be this tight without a TS...

Define "the Mesa", you have two (you bastard :D) Mark IV? I didn't think it could get so fizzy. And while I know the Dual Rec certainly can, I didn't think it'd be this tight without a TS...

oh, freud-mistake...it's the recto I mean.
Yeah, rev F...it's so much tighter than the G (at least than the 3ch versions, never tried the 2ch G)

Hmm, interesting - 6k fizz is still there however, that was the kiss of death for mine! :(

nah, I only hear the 4.8k fizz.
I think you're mental, lol.

but you're right, this file has some fizz to it, definitely not unbearable IMO though, could easily work in a mix I think, you're overthinking/overanalyzing things sometimes ;)

However, since you called out my hearing, I couldn't resist making this test - this clip is just the first part of the riff, with an EQ plugin automated to toggle between a 3dB cut with a .2 dB Q at 6k, and then bypassed. I mean, again, as I said, you make it sound great in the mix in the end, and maybe I am worrying too much, but at least I'm not mental about the frequency! :D

However, since you called out my hearing, I couldn't resist making this test - this clip is just the first part of the riff, with an EQ plugin automated to toggle between a 3dB cut with a .2 dB Q at 6k, and then bypassed. I mean, again, as I said, you make it sound great in the mix in the end, and maybe I am worrying too much, but at least I'm not mental about the frequency! :D

haha ;) I have actually not listened for the fizz in this one cause it didn't annoy me enough to notch it out, I just remebered that 4.8 was the one I notched last time..only 1dB though...I've never notched 6k in my life I think, lol.
are you sure it's the recto and not the mic giving you that fizz? perhaps you're just not an sm57 kinda guy?

freq.jpg

see, that spike is pretty much exactly at 6k

Nah, I've heard countless recordings of different high-gain amps through Recto OS cabs done with one 57 that didn't have the same amount of fizz (your recent Krankenstein tests, for example :headbang: ), so I'm quite certain (and have been for some time) that the fizz is inherent to the amp, at least the 2 ch. variety (and I made sure to exhaust all options before deciding to sell it). Of course, the difference is that it bothers me more than it does many other people, but I hear the same fizz on TGE and Doomsday Machine (which I only recently found out was also Mesa + Krank) that irks me. But anyway, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, I've been over all of this many times before in my own threads, and thank you for being patient with me! :D And of course, IMO besides the fizz, it sounds fucking great! :headbang:

Nah, I've heard countless recordings of different high-gain amps through Recto OS cabs done with one 57 that didn't have the same amount of fizz (your recent Krankenstein tests, for example :headbang: ), so I'm quite certain (and have been for some time) that the fizz is inherent to the amp, at least the 2 ch. variety (and I made sure to exhaust all options before deciding to sell it). Of course, the difference is that it bothers me more than it does many other people, but I hear the same fizz on TGE and Doomsday Machine (which I only recently found out was also Mesa + Krank) that irks me. But anyway, I'm sorry for hijacking your thread, I've been over all of this many times before in my own threads, and thank you for being patient with me! :D And of course, IMO besides the fizz, it sounds fucking great! :headbang:

hehe, no problem dude, I like some lively amp discussions.

You gave it away before I had a chance to guess. I figured it was a Recto. I really ruled out all the other amps. I'm excited to get my 2-Channel back from modding. It's gonna be after Labor Day though.

too late, almost done reamping that other song now.
but yeah, really not the best possible DIs, I think the 5150 trakcs turned out usable though...well, you'll see

Cool! Well thanks all the same. I'll give em a shot and post something up.

Not surprised to hear it was the Dual Rec in the end. To me it sounded like 'Mesa' distortion, but for all I know it could've been a Roadking or Roadster as well, since I don't know exactly which amps you own. The Rectos do have a remarkably trade-mark tone, and I recall fighting with their characteristics on more than one thrash record. Everyone wants to sound like 'The Gathering', but not many have the picking hand for it!

Nice tone man.

I could sort of tell the Mesa characteristic was going on but I wouldn't been been surprised to find out it was a Marshall, based on the way the mids sound and it has a nice bite going on...and I would think that 'sizz' would work really well in a mix to be honest.

Things sound a but middy to me at the moment because I don't have my monitors...only my headphones, which have more mids in their sound to my monitors, so maybe that is why I'm thinking Marshall.

Anyway man, it is cool to hear something done without a tubescreamer that definitely seems very usable. :)

Hey Lasse, which tubes are you running in your Recto?

Also, mic'd with a single 57, right?

Thanks.
-Steve