guess the amp

KBMoser

Audiophile
Oct 16, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I thought i'd pull this thing out for some experiments. I'll give you a hint, It's all tube.

Note, the speaker in the photo is just to show i mic'd it, its not a 6505+ 112 pre, i'm just using the speaker.

sound clip : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12898977/shred white and blue vari.mp3

micsonspeaker.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-02

Well, no more guesses but i will reveal the kicker.

its a $25 Tube preamp from ART. not bad eh?

arttubepre.jpg

Shot at 2012-06-02

Well I don't think it sounds very good. Maybe it'll be nice as lead tone over a real tube amp rhythm tone. Sometimes weird or wimpy things like this work wonders for lead tones in a mix.

Maybe you can mod it to sound smoother or less fuzzy?

This is a mic pre? Also, how hard did you hit it? I'm guessing you didn't just plug the guitar in it and hit the +20db switch, there's a lot of gain involved.

your right. i had tried a couple different pedals but i ended up going with a boss MD-2 because of a few characteristics. When trying a simple boost pedal, there was too much low end information and it caused awful low end distortion before getting a high gain distorton. Others gave too much mid honk. The MD-2 has a top and bottom pot as well as a crazy amount of chip gain. Set the bottom as high as a could, for the gain stage i wanted, to add a very nice breakup/ripping distortion characteristic when played hard. Some would describe that as "sandpaper." You just dont get it with some amps, and i find its easier to drive a low wattage tube amp or device to get that sought after crunch. I havnt been able to get my 6505 112 to produce a ripping gain stage like the little pre has. it doesn't get too loud but just buy an amp and your ready to go live. im guessing its around 1/4 watt output.