Guitar body wood questions..

paddok

Aug 7, 2002
deathfm.tk
So whats the difference between the bunch of em ? I see that Koa is one of the more expensive ones, but how drasticaly do they effect guitar sound ? What is the difference between Mahogany, Koa, Maple, etc...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by paddok
So whats the difference between the bunch of em ? I see that Koa is one of the more expensive ones, but how drasticaly do they effect guitar sound ? What is the difference between Mahogany, Koa, Maple, etc...

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Mahogany is a fairly dark wood, like Basswood, but Mahogany has more character. ..I think Koa is an abbreviation for the wood "Korina". ...Korina(African Limba) is similar to Mahogany, but less dense and a little brighter sounding. Also lighter, both in color and weight. ..And Maple is the brightest of the three, but is not as bright as Strat-type woods, such as Alder or Ash. ..Yet, Maple has much better resonance.

Originally posted by Russ
I think Koa is an abbreviation for the wood "Korina". ...Korina(African Limba)

Koa is not Korina. Koa is a endangered wood from Hawaii (only place it's found, really) and the reason it's so expensive is that it only comes from naturally felled trees.

I'm a big fan of Alder, as it's a mid point between the hardness of maple and the depth of mahogany..it's warm too. I also like Swamp Ash.

Koa is a great tonewood... and until recently I never played Korina... though I just bought a Jackson Archtop with a Korina body and neck, with a 1" quilt maple top, and I got to say this thing is a tone monster!

i've come to the point of ignoring the guitar body's wood. as long as i like what i hear, i'll grab that guitar.

my 12yr old ibanez RG has a basswood body & it's more massive than my basswood RG 7620. this 7620 sustains as well as my mahagony bodied ibanez S540 & gibson Les Paul. although both my LP & PRS has a mahagony + maple cap formula, the PRS plays & sounds better than the Les Paul. then there're 2 cheapo Ibanezs lying around at my place which are resoncast & agathis- they both beat all my other guitars tone-wise on certain days :confused:

so i just give up trying to have inclinations on guitar body wood... although i agree that of all the body wood mentioned here, basswood is soft & dents easily

Originally posted by xenophobe
Koa is a great tonewood... and until recently I never played Korina... though I just bought a Jackson Archtop with a Korina body and neck, with a 1" quilt maple top, and I got to say this thing is a tone monster!

Korina has been called by many "The Holy Grail of Tonewoods". I've never played a guitar built with it, but I'd really like to.