Guitar Cab Advice Needed

cfh11

Apr 25, 2012
Boston, MA
so i decided that i need a marshall cab with gt75s since i love thrash :kickass:

right now i have:

orange 2x12 (closed back) with v30s
mesa trad cab with v30s
mesa OS with v30s and WGS 65s (similar to greenback)

is there any reason to keep the mesa trad cab? i am thinking between the v30s in the orange and the mesa OS i will not be missing much. i am talking about studio use only btw.

i can get a used 1960a for $300 around here and if im not mistaken that would be cost for 4 gt75s alone. i was thinking of selling the mesa trad for $500 which would net me about $200 after i buy the marshall cab.

Its a very Gearslutz angle but would keep the Mesa Traditional and just get the 1960. Redundant V30s aside its still going to sound different than your other cabs. Maybe if you never use the Mesa you should part with it, but even then it seems a shame.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone: I'd swap the speakers off the Mesa Trad before trading it for a Marshall cab if you're not in urge for the money. I'm sure 90% of the people who own a Marshall 1960 cab would trade your their speakers for yours in a heartbeat. T-75's are pretty easy to find for cheap too, and I'm pretty sure the Mesa V30's sell for more.

I understand the appeal of a Marshall (I own a Marshall cab), but to me it seems like a big downgrade going from a Mesa to a Marshall cab…

Difficult to answer for someone else. If I'd only get to keep one cab it'd be my Marshall cab for sure.

Since you have 3 cabs already, there should be room for just one more. And Marshall cabs are cheap. ;)

I'd just grab a couple of T75's on ebay (cheap!) and do an X pattern in your trad. The Mesa cabs seem better built than the Marshalls and it increases the options you have available.

seems like the 8ohm versions are hard to find used... anyone know what kind of cab would have used 8ohm g12t-75s?