Guitar help ,please !!!

noctambulant

Mar 7, 2009
I've been playing guitar for a while now, but I've never really used any other tuning other than standard D, so the thing is , that I have a cheap guitar tuner, which has 3 different tuning modes,D,b,Bb but I don't know if the last two stand for standard B and C or what so ...could you guys help me out?:zombie:

no, B# would be C, Bb would be the same as A#, and Cb is the same as B ;)
Also, standard tuning is E, not D.. D is a drop tuning quite commonly used in metal though.

Drop B is quite low (most likely it is for 7 string guitars, that use B as the 7th string, and standard E tuning for the rest)

Basically, if you dont need to retune, dont, but it is fun to play with different strange tunings.
Try dropping the bright e string f.eg, (E A D G B Eb) and you can play some Coldplay :)

no, B# would be C, Bb would be the same as A#, and Cb is the same as B ;)
Also, standard tuning is E, not D.. D is a drop tuning quite commonly used in metal though.

Drop B is quite low (most likely it is for 7 string guitars, that use B as the 7th string, and standard E tuning for the rest)

Basically, if you dont need to retune, dont, but it is fun to play with different strange tunings.
Try dropping the bright e string f.eg, (E A D G B Eb) and you can play some Coldplay :)

:zombie: fucking meds >.< you're right, i got it backwards. :erk:

When people say they're in D Standard, they simply mean they dropped every string a whole step from Standard tuning.

you americans use strange terminology :)
Here, in sweden, we generally refer to drop D as a full, two halfnote, downtuned guitar (D G C et all..)
atleast through my years of playing..

edit; it would certanly be fun if it turns out you are swedish now (I just realized you never said you were american... I just assumed.) ;)

you americans use strange terminology :)
Here, in sweden, we generally refer to drop D as a full, two halfnote, downtuned guitar (D G C et all..)
atleast through my years of playing..
It doesn't really matter, but one thing is for certain, you can't refer to it "dropped d" like you just did. Dropped D is DADGBE, and that most certainly is a universal term.

google most definetly gives you right... 15 years and i still can´t get my terminology right.
Still, all of the bands/musicians i played with refered to it as drop D, so i guess it is swedes who has strange terminology.

(also, D A D G B E is horrible to play with.. D G C F A D is so much easier :))

People use dropped tunings like DADGBE because it makes for really easy power chords. You can play some cool rhythms like that. Different tunings are better at different things.

I'm still trying to figure it out,because here in Mexico , we don't name the strings with letters,we name them by numbers... So from what I understand so far,Standard tuning goes by the name E and then Dropped D would be like tuning the sixth string as if it was the fourth?....and would it be like standard E but going down two steps?.. dang , I hate being a noob....thank u all !

Doesn't matter where you're from, the strings are assigned both a number, and a letter(based on standard tuning.)

6th string or low E string
5th string or A string
4th string or D string
3rd string or G string (Lawlz)
2nd string or B string
1st or high E string

google most definetly gives you right... 15 years and i still can´t get my terminology right.
Still, all of the bands/musicians i played with refered to it as drop D, so i guess it is swedes who has strange terminology.

(also, D A D G B E is horrible to play with.. D G C F A D is so much easier :))
I have a guitar specially tuned in D A D G B E to play some Tool songs :p it's an awesome tuning actually.

Drop D = Tool and PT and others, and Katatonia uses dropped tunings occasionally too I believe, so that should be good enough for you people.

just found this:

16847_1289171064235_1078960016_868061_5430119_n.jpg

taken from the roadie on the Ghost Of The Spring tour.

the gig was in Budapest (11th April 2003)

IMO tuning your guitar down is dumb unless you wanna play all ur songs in C or something. But most great bands are tuned in standard.
and the best thing about standard is you can easily go from EADGBE to DADGBE (only the lower string is tuned down) and you can play a bunch of crunchier riffs

Edit: I though Sleeper, tonights music, FoS and Chrome were Eb