Guitar-lessons or no

Eptar the Goat Lord

New Metal Member
Sep 5, 2002
Your Imagination
Visit site
K well, i am a drummer, and i have been for the past 6 years, but i would really like to learn to play guitar now. I cant decide if i should take lessons or not. Are there any really good sites for beginner guitarists? I found some but they charged money. Any advice helps!

Actually, most guitarists taught themselves. Whoever the guitarist is in Creed (I don't know his name--and yeah they suck but his guitar playing is wicked) taught himself. I bought a CD and this book to teach myself. Problem is, I haven't actually sat down and listened to it yet. :rolleyes: But I did tune the guitar; I can play one song, and part of Jingle Bells (don't ask...)

There's some computer software that I saw somewhere (well obviously it costs money too) called "Teach Me Guitar!". I don't know if it would do any good though...

Here are some websites that I found:
Play Guitar In One Hour
Free Online Guitar Lessons

:) Good luck!

If you've been playing the drums for 6 years, you should know some guitarists, right? =) Ask some of them to sit down and teach you some stuff.

Simple songs like "For whom the bell tolls" are pretty good to start out with. By just knowing a simple power-chord, how to do muted strumming and a bit of practice, you can start playing rhythm guitar on a lot of songs. Don't bother with solos in the beginning, but never be afraid to experiment and push yourself.

For soloing, you need build a feeling for the guitar and have a good understanding of scales. Musical theory does help a lot. A good thing to practice once you know the most common scales, is to just sit around and play simple melodies. I play melodies I hear on the radio, in computer games, etc. Sometimes when I hear something and think "hey, that would be fun to play on the guitar", I grab the axe and start figuring it out.

Depends on how much you want to get into it.

I'd suggest getting a tab book with some songs you'd like to learn.... if you get the hang of it and want more, consider taking lessons.

While it is true that many guitarists are self-taught, beginners can benefit enormously from lessons, if they put in the effort. It's a matter of finding the right teacher. But just taking lessons in not the only ingredient in the proverbial recipie for success. I think it is money well spent. You can learn something from every good teacher.

Well, a good teacher will provide direction, focus, and keep you from learning or practicing bad habits, as well as teach proper technique and form (which is really subjective though).

I'd say learn a song or two and decide how serious you'd like to be. If you want to be proficient or serious, a good knowledge of theory is definitely a plus, and MUCH easier to apply to guitar if you learn it while you're still a beginner...

If you decide to learn on your own for several years, and THEN try to learn threory, you'll possibly have to correct a bunch of bad technique that you've been practicing...

So get a tab book, learn a song or two then make the decision if you want to learn your stuff, or just play guitar for a little fun...

I had been playing for about 14 years before I took a lesson, this coming from a 80's shred0riffic background (i.e. I considered myself a better than average player)
but my theoretical knowledge was limited. I took 6 months of lessons last year from a classical pianist/guitarist who happened to be a gifted teacher as well, and I learned more the first month than I had in a decade.
the down side is he broke me of a lot of bad habits that I relied on for years, and I actually quit concentrating on soloing...the upside is now I write SONGS instead of riffs...and people seem to actually like em.

I would recommend finding a teacher through trial and error. if after a couple lessons you think they are boring old fucks, then dump them and look for another one. a bad teacher is worse than none at all. guitar magazines can keep you learning in the meantime.

I use that Free online guitar lessons site that Dark Angle posted. If you can create your own practice schedule and stick to it you don't need a teacher. But make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing to ask questions though, as you will have alot of them. The worst thing that happend to me was that I developed bad habits. It takes a lot of work to get rid of bad habits once you realize you have them.

I have been playing for 18 years and started out taking lessons, then some music theory in a high school music class, now I want to take some more lessons. If I can find a good classical music teacher, I really feel my song writing ability would increase. Also, maybe then I would have the discipline to play other people's songs all the way through. Lessons would be a great idea for at least a couple of months. What you do with what the person tries to teach you is a completely different story. Good Luck and most important of all, Have Fun!

Here'e how I see it: If you want to know what you're doing musically, get a teacher. If you jsut want to be good you'll be fine with or without one because youll motivate yourself enough to play. Most classical notation is hard to find online, and harder to find a key for in tab.... but i have found that OLGA.net has a few lessons on there for free, although I did not look at them very long and I have no recollection as to what they were about. However, they do have a guide to reading tablature which can help if you don't already know and then you can find tabs to pretty much anything out there ... Good luck, and Rock on.

DEFINATLEY GET LESSONS!!!! i have been playing for 2 years and taking lessons for over a year now and i am able to play shit i never thought i would be able to play. All thanks to my guitar teacher. you will learn the scales and shit that you want to learn. my guitar teacher teaches me the things i should know and at the same time puts them in such a way its got a metal sounds to them. lessons are worth the money, but make sure you get a good teacher. you dont want to be spending an hour with a boring guy who is teaching you shit you dont find intresting.

If you lived near/in Galveston or Houston, I could hook you up with an awesome guitar/bass teacher.

If you don't....can't help ya out, man.

I was playing guitar for about a year before I ever knew what a string bend was. lol. Being self-taught isn't always a good thing. :) Here I was, at a party, and some guy did a string bend on my guitar. I was like WTF? How did you do that??? :D

This is also where I learned about harmonics and stuff. One quick 10 minute lesson changed everything I thought I'd known about guitar playing. hehehe.

lessons are good. if you want to be an actual "musically correct" guitarist, you should take lessons. And don't find some guy who just sits there and plays the guitar while you watch him. It's fun, but useless. As for solos, when you start using soloing concepts, they sound 10 times better. And you get much better at improvising them. And with lessons, you can easily get the 'emotion' you want people to feel when they listen................. oh that took too much energy... I'm going to go eat...

You definately need some basic directions in the first place, or you'll just develop bad habits (like everyone said). That's why I still fuckin suck after playing for years (well, on and off). I bought some videos, and five minutes into them they made me feel like a complete jackass for doing [whatver] the way I was for so long. I haven't really gotten back into watching them. For some reason I just don't seem to get any better, even with practice. But anyway, the videos I bought:

Metal Method

I bought the six tape set, for around $67 or something, but you can buy them individually. It at least it teaches you metal (obviously, by the name), so it can point you in the right direction. They seem pretty good to me. They teach you basic techniques and excersizes (sp?) all the way up to advanced stuff in the later videos. They throw in a lot of basic maintenace stuff too (tuning, adjusting your action, etc). There's also a tech video there I have my eye on which appears to cover pretty much building a guitar from the ground up, so you don't have to take your shit to a shop and pay some guy to change out pickups or any other wiring, etc.

Forget websites, tapes, or your cousin Paul or any other half-ass way to learn. Take CLASSICAL guitar. Who cares if you want to play another type of music. If you do this you will be able to play anything you can possibly imagine, and play it well at that you will.

Honestly, learn how music really works. Don't just get to the point where youc an slap a lame melody over four chords and think you'll be able to sleep at night. If you want to be a musician, it must be your JOB. Treat it as such and don't settle for anything less than the best.

(And if you make it. I expect a thank you in the liner notes :))

hyp0critical, I use this website:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/

(sorry about not posting earlier, I haven't check here in a while)

And I have to add that I had some musical training on the saxomophone before I picked up the guitar so I new a little about a little. But other than that it's just about making yourself do it. If you got the time and money a good teacher will definitely help. Unfortunately we all don't have that luxury.