Guitar panning.

decadawn

Aug 31, 2001
www.decadawn.com
Hey guys...

I was wondering if my panning settings are okay..

I have 2 guitar track on each side, my knob settings go from -90 to 90..

Guitar1 Guitar2
@-45 @ 45
@-90 @ 90

Are my guitars taking too much space in the stereo field? should I change it to something like:

Guitar1 Guitar2
@-45 @ 45
@-75 @ 75

?

Thanks!!

LC

in some of my mixes i like to keep the guitars that have the low-end eq closer to the middle and the sharper high-end eq guitars panned full. andy sneap said he did it like this:

hi eq L - %100
low eq L - %80
low eq R - %80
hi eq R - %100

I think it also depends on how much reverb you have on the guitars. If you set them way back in the mix (ie dimmu borgir's latest album) then it's probably best to not pan them fully left and right. But like for say Fear Factory/ Nevermore stuff, harsher, sharper, and in the front of the mix, you know, it's probably better to pan them harder right and left. That's what i've noticed, but then again i don't really know what the fuck i'm talking about.

Genius Gone Insane said:
in some of my mixes i like to keep the guitars that have the low-end eq closer to the middle and the sharper high-end eq guitars panned full.

This an interesting technique since lower frequencies are already less directional. What freq. range do your low guitars lie in?

well to be honest i don't usually do it anymore. and i cant remember what frequency i had them boosted at. ever since i got my friend's valveFX processor, i've only been using two guitar tracks because the sound is so good as is.

when i was using the pod, i could only get decent results with four guitars. but i definitely remember that on the low guitars I cut the hell out of most of the high frequencies and boosted a few of the frequencies that i had boosted with the high guitars. sorry if that's confusing.

I have a multiband compressor that works in an interesing way. You can have it work on the mono aspects of a signal, or the stereo ones. I have been compressing the mono stuff to good results, and it seems to make a big diffference when summing to mono too. Its coded my MDA, and its free.