Guitar players: XXX or 6505?

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
These are your two options. I don't like Mesa, I don't have access to a Bogner, I don't particularly care for Krank, and I can't afford the new Engl Invader 150, although that's my dream amp.

I've got a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL and I'm sick of the lack of balls it has. My GT-8 makes up for it, but I need a new amp head. I'm keeping the cab, by the way.

I always heard nothing but Marshall this and Marshall that, saw all the awesome bands with Marshall DSL and TSLs and said a couple of years ago, THAT'S the amp I want because that's the sound I want. However, I didn't see the twin 6-foot cabinets of rack gear that gives them that sound...I only saw the head.

So, tell me which you would go for.

If you wanna blow the rest of your band off the stage, get the 6505. If you looking for a little more versatility, get the XXX. You should check out the JSX as well for about $200 more. It's essentially a step up from the XXX.

Cleans are of no use for me from the head because I use the 4 cable method with my GT8. I've got each preset with a different FX chain, so I'll mix a tubescreamer or stompbox with my head, and when I want clean I'll just change patches and it turns off the amp preamp and gives the GT8 preamp a straight shot to my poweramp, resulting in whichever clean sound I want. I use a JC-120 type clean sound from the GT8. I hear that the XXX is really noisy as well, though. I'm leaning towards the 6505, but I want to hear everyone's opinion so I'll know what to look for when trying them out.

Cleans are of no use for me from the head because I use the 4 cable method with my GT8. I've got each preset with a different FX chain, so I'll mix a tubescreamer or stompbox with my head, and when I want clean I'll just change patches and it turns off the amp preamp and gives the GT8 preamp a straight shot to my poweramp, resulting in whichever clean sound I want. I use a JC-120 type clean sound from the GT8. I hear that the XXX is really noisy as well, though. I'm leaning towards the 6505, but I want to hear everyone's opinion so I'll know what to look for when trying them out.

Then get the 6505. It's pretty much the same as the 5150. If you've ever heard any of The Haunted's, old Soilwork's, Arch Enemy's, Evergrey's Inner Circle album, or virtually any Swedish or American metal band, the 5150 or 6505 has made it onto at least one of their cds. Dude, get it! You won't be dissappointed. I'm cereal!

Thanks man! While the XXX seems cool in its own right, the 6505 just seems like a more logical choice. I'm gonna have to trade in a lot of shit, though. My Marshall DSL 100, an old Epiphone Les Paul that I never use, and a multiFX pedal that I never use. That should get me around at least 1000, I think. I can foot the other 200. Oh, and by the way it's a 6505+.

I like the 5150... best amp you'll ever lay your hands on...

Personally I like the JSX with my effects (Especially the Ibanez Tone-Lok Smash Box)... I get an amazing sound of it.

I got my 5150 II brand new from musicians friend for $700 (one of the last ones sold before they switched over 6505) I would definatly recommend it, but like the above posters said clean channel is sub par, but if you dont use it then get ready for awesome tone

Out of those two, I'd take the 6505. Try out an Engl if you can- the fireball is $1200 new, normally goes for $800-$900 used, and it's not hard to find a used Powerball for around $1300.

The Powerball new here is around 1600 euros...no fuckin' way. I'd prefer an Engl, but they're a little hard to find used. Everyone wants to keep theirs.

If you're going to get a new one don't get the 6505+, get the standard 6505. Most people prefer it, as well as myself personally - I feel the + version lacks some of the balls the standard has.

If you're buying peavey, buy used if you can, or if you feel comfortable with ebay. They make some rugged, long lasting amps.

Honestly the XXX and the 6505 are different voiced amps, and you can get comparable tones out of both. It's a matter of personal taste. XXX always seemed a little more like a mesa to me though. I like em both. I recommend you play both of them in store and buy the one you like instead of listening to a bunch of folks on the internet.