Guitar Players

TheSinMakesYouReal

Evil Inside
Jan 14, 2003
AZ
www.members.cox.net
I know there are some guitar players in here... So listen up. What are you top 3 brands of guitars and rigs.

Guitar
1. Schecter
2. Spector
3. B.C. Rich (NJ series)

Rigs
1. Mesa Beggie (Triple/Double Rectifire)
2. Gallien-Krueger (When they made gutair amps, the bass amps are still bad ass.)
3. Hughes & Kettner

What about you.

Reactions: ForbiddenAngel
guitars:
1. Jackson USA (incredible and incredibly expensive!)
2. ehm..?? Jackson USA
3. ESP?

I'd like to try an Ernie Ball Music Man Axxis Sport once..seems an interesting guitar.

Amps:
1. Engl
2. dunno VHT?(poweramps)
3. Fender/ Vox?? never really tried these but they sound good

I have a mesa/boogie dual rectifier trem-o-verb...and I'm disappointed in the distortion, which of course is the main reason one (metalhead) buys boogie stuff. I'm using its PA for my Engl 530 pre-amp though. I'd like to buy a VHT2150 PA or the Engl 940 2x60W PA eventually, but I lack the cash...The Engl midi/tube E580 pre-amp and Savage SE seem very interesting too.

Guitars
1. Jackson (not USA) single single humbucker
2. Homemade using Charvel neck and scraps, 2 humbucker w/ alternating toggle switch w/ separate volume controls (off/on)
3. Ibanez 2 humbuckers
4. Fender 12 string electric/acoustic

Effects
1. Pod XT
2. DOD Death metal distortion 2x
3. Morley Bad Horsie wah (no suck knob) (best tech support!)
4. Boss Flanger BF-2
5. DOD Icebox chorus
6. Digitech 2 Second Delay
7. Arion Compressor

Amps
1. Ampeg VH-140C solid state head x2 (old and newer model)(discontinued)
2. Marshall 4x12 cab
3. Carvin combo 2x12 (run through head)

My next purchases...
1. whammy pedal
2. Metalzone distortion pedal
3. Line 6 FBV shortboard
4. classical guitar

right now, the guitar im playing most is my LOTUS strat copy( iwas stuck on my ES 335). peavy 5150, ZOOM 1010, big muff fuzz, cry baby wah, BOSS compressor/sustainer, BOSS volumn peddle, and a few other small things.

The acoustic im jamming teh most right now is my fender montara...cutaway, electric/acoustic.

Ive also been hitting my KAY banjo a little bit. Im getting a mandoline sometime.

Guitars:
1. Ibanez
2. Nevborn
3. Conklin

Rigs?
Can't list several, just the rig I have wich I love.
Guitar->Pod Pro. Pod Pro FX Out->G-Major->Pod Pro FX In. Pod Pro->PC. Getting a Phonic poweramp and a Behringer cab soon too, and a Clavia Nord Modular G2 with Johan Haake's 3D Breath Controller.

I started out with a B.C.Rich "Rich Bitch" then sold it to buy a warlock. Had a create head and cab (don't remember the specs). I switched to bass about 5 or 6 years ago to play in a band. That is when some one stole the warlock. Beautiful guitar. Then I bought A honor 5 string bass, (which I lost in pawn). Then i bought a 4 string spector bass w/ a 1000W Gellien-krueger head, 4-10 G-K cab, and a 15" cab. Now I'm getting back into guitar and I have a 6 string applause and a 7 string shector. I don't have a rig yet. I know the triple rectifires are good, (everything has their weekness) I knew two guys who had one and I loved the sound that came from them. Peavys are good too, 5150. I'm not sure what head to get now days though.

1. Jackson (cheap Japanese version) :bah:
2. Jackson (Custom, but don't know anymore, because Fender :puke: bought it)
3. ESP?

1. Marshall Valvestate
2. Marshall (Tube amp with huge cabinet)
3. ???

Effects:
1. Boss GT-3
2. Boss Metal Zone

Distorted,

How happy are you with your Boss Metal Zone distortion pedal and have you tried the pedal out on solid state amps?

Do any of you guys know a good site where I can find some technical information on amps, like what's the difference between a 60W and 100W in sound, volume,...you know, and which one's the best to fit your needs. Like, do you realle need a 100W amp or is 50W enough?
And how to rig up your gear. First pre-amp, then FX or other combinations and preferably why...
Ok, enough blahblahblah..
Any sites please?
Thank you

ID

Tricus:
I'm pretty happy with the Metal Zone. I haven't gotten better distortion with the Marshall's own distortion or the GT-3. The best so far I got with the MT-2 is by attaching it to the effects loop of the GT-3 and adjusting it through there. I guess my Valvestate is a solid-state and I think the MT-2 sounds ok with it but it could sound better. I haven't had much to compare it with so it's hard to say.

Guitars:

1. Jackson
2. B.C. Rich
3. PRS

Rigs

1. Crate
2. Peavey
3. Marshall

I think my ultimate duo would be a jackson warrior with a fixed bridge (if that even exists) and a Peavey 5150 combo. My back up would be my current set up of a B.C. Rich beast platinum series with a Crate DXB112.

Iced Dragon said:
Do any of you guys know a good site where I can find some technical information on amps, like what's the difference between a 60W and 100W in sound, volume,...you know, and which one's the best to fit your needs. Like, do you realle need a 100W amp or is 50W enough?
And how to rig up your gear. First pre-amp, then FX or other combinations and preferably why...

ID
ID, technically the wattage is just to run the mulitple features on the amp, like effect loops, and EQ's. How ever there are alot of other variables involed.

This is just hypothetical case, nonetheless, say you have a head that has you basic features, it's not going to need 1K W (1,000 Watts) to adjust volume, bass, trouble, or to toggle between clean and distortion. Therefore, it would only need, say 50W. How ever now you want it to have a compressor, an active EQ, Voicing filters, effects loops, and you want it to rattle your teeth :headbang:when you strike a power cord , well then yeah you'll want like 10M W (10,000,000 Watts) or something,
firedevil.gif

Other then that, if all you’re going to do is play at home, then no you shouldn’t need any thing higher then 200 W, if that. Then again, you have to think about, “well what happens when I get in a band, I’ll need more sound and features”! So, you have to consider that too.

As far as web sites, I would just go to www.google.com and type in what it is you want to know about. Example. you want to know about pre-amps, type in pre-amps and any other descriptive words you think you need and I'm positive you find some to read about. I hope I wasn't to lament for you, but I don't know how much about computers you know. Hope I helped.
err.gif

hmm yeah. At least I know that little about computers/internet :)
I play in a band called Rhymes of Destruction, and I invested a lot of money (2100$/€) on a pre-amp (Engl 530), a TC Electronic G-Major and an Engl 4x12 Celestion vintage 30 cab.
A year before I had the opportunity to buy a M/B dual Rectifier trem-o-verb '95 in orange leather with matching 2x12" rectifier cab for about 870$. But I found out it wasn't really what I was looking for (distortion). So I bought the other gear. Now I'm using the M/B as a poweramp.
What I do is guitar to pre-amp to G-major to M/B fx return to cab. Do you know any better connections?
So now I'm looking to buy a rack poweramp. The guy at the store tells me 50 or 60W would do the job but I'm looking for some more info.
I thought the Wattage had to do with the volume produced and not the whole thing.
I heard that the Engl 930/60 poweramp should be very good. It's stereo so the guy at the store said you could do 2x60W and it's actually almost 120W.
Is this true? I don't know, these are the kind of questions I'd like to know...

thank you for the info though!!
ID

Guitar
1.Arvidsson Custom (swedish built strat,with 2 humb & tuneomatic bridge)
Built for me in ´88.The one and only.
2.ESP Ltd H207
3.Schecter Omen 7,walnut

Amp
1.Marshall 50W Combo (mid ´70s tube,2x12")Perfect for bothering my neighbors
2.???
3.???

Effects
1.Boss Rocker Distortion
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss CE-3 Chorus
all I need.

Have a good one,all!
R.

as for top 3 guitars.. not sure, just know that
my ibanez > my shitty peavey
and I played a PRS that smoked anything else I ever played so I'll put that at the top.

I know shit about amps. haven't played through enough to have favorites.
though I really like the sounds of 5150s and Laneys (GH50/100) so if I went tube, I'd get one of those.

Iced Dragon said:
hmm yeah. At least I know that little about computers/internet :)
I play in a band called Rhymes of Destruction, and I invested a lot of money (2100$/€) on a pre-amp (Engl 530), a TC Electronic G-Major and an Engl 4x12 Celestion vintage 30 cab.
A year before I had the opportunity to buy a M/B dual Rectifier trem-o-verb '95 in orange leather with matching 2x12" rectifier cab for about 870$. But I found out it wasn't really what I was looking for (distortion). So I bought the other gear. Now I'm using the M/B as a poweramp.
What I do is guitar to pre-amp to G-major to M/B fx return to cab. Do you know any better connections?
So now I'm looking to buy a rack poweramp. The guy at the store tells me 50 or 60W would do the job but I'm looking for some more info.
I thought the Wattage had to do with the volume produced and not the whole thing.
I heard that the Engl 930/60 poweramp should be very good. It's stereo so the guy at the store said you could do 2x60W and it's actually almost 120W.
Is this true? I don't know, these are the kind of questions I'd like to know...

thank you for the info though!!
ID
Ok so Yeah the Watts = Power, Power = Volume, but there is a lot more to it then that, as I stated above. I'm not one to hook up a more amp, because if you connect you put to much Surpass the max Wattage you could do major damage to you equipment. However they are made for a reason, I would say check your max Watts in before getting a power amp.

I noticed many people saying how the dual and triple Rectifiers lack distortion,
grumble.gif
weird, because besides the amount of volume it gives, the distortion is what I luv about it, oh well. Have you tried effects and distortion pedals?

Nevertheless, yeah, the dude is right in a sense that stereo does means two. However, I don't think mean the power is simply doubles, I could be wrong though. With stereo, there are 2 channels, like in a car amp. In order to get more power to my speakers I had to run the 2 channels in parallel to the speaker. The Amp was 150 watt amp I believe and the speaker received 300.

Guitar - I tend to love Gibson semi-hollows, ES-135/335's. Also like a couple strat models, in particular the MIM 50's reissue and USA Standard's with noiseless pickups. Strats seem to be so inconsistant from one to the other though it just depends on the exact guitar.

Amp - For distortion - various Marshall JCM and older JTM combos usually used with a couple pedals for heavier sounds or alone for standard rock/blues/etc.

For clean tone - hands down Fender Deville 4x10

Effects - The Zoom Tri Metal...also the only product I've ever touched from Zoom that's worth a shit...goes well with a Tubescreamer for heavy shit. The Tri Metal's build in noise gate is a life saver and the eq knobs have a shitload of range. Also dig Vox Wahs and the Dano Cool Cat Chorus