Guitar question: Ibanez RGA121 vs. LTD MH1000

Damnit, I'm leaning a different way every day when it comes to these 2 guitars. Sorry, just ranting still...Oh and happy holidays everyone.

-Joe

Hands down the ESP/LTD as long as it is a 400 model or above.....I have owned both Ibanez and ESP/LTD and I can not rave enough about how much more I like the LTD/ESP....they feel so much more solid and well built...Everytime I pick up a Ibanez I cringe because it always feels like a cheap toy to me.....

chadsxe said:
Hands down the ESP/LTD as long as it is a 400 model or above.....I have owned both Ibanez and ESP/LTD and I can not rave enough about how much more I like the LTD/ESP....they feel so much more solid and well built...Everytime I pick up a Ibanez I cringe because it always feels like a cheap toy to me.....

I would agree to this normally, but have you played the new Ibanez RGAs??? Build quality is superb, along with the natural finish. I picked up some 400 series Vipers and the finish felt "plasticy", but I have not tried a MH-1000. My main point is that you can tell me holding and observing this PARTICULAR new Ibanez model that the craftsmanship is excellent. Way better than lower end RGs.

-Joe

As a matter of fact in about an hour I am going to play a new RGA....I hope my opnion will change but as is LTD/ESP has me vote.....the 400 models are only 550 bucks and in my opnion for that amount of money you are not going to find Ia banez that is compairble....as a matter of fact I would say that holds true for the 1000 models also....when you start getting into the real high end stuff things start to flatten out a little...the gaps and diffrences are not as big in most cases....it turns into more of a personal prefrence then anything.....and my prefrence is LTD/ESP...

chadsxe said:
As a matter of fact in about an hour I am going to play a new RGA....I hope my opnion will change but as is LTD/ESP has me vote.....the 400 models are only 550 bucks and in my opnion for that amount of money you are not going to find Ia banez that is compairble....as a matter of fact I would say that holds true for the 1000 models also....when you start getting into the real high end stuff things start to flatten out a little...the gaps and diffrences are not as big in most cases....it turns into more of a personal prefrence then anything.....and my prefrence is LTD/ESP...

Cool, could you report back to me of what you think of the Ibanez?? thanks.

-Joe

J.DavisNJ said:
Cool, could you report back to me of what you think of the Ibanez?? thanks.

-Joe

Yes...with out question....I will give you a quick review tomrrow....you know honest it all comes down to what you like....just make sure you are sure of this before you purchase.....play the guitar through your amp....try it in a few diffrent amps....does it sound like YOU want it to sound.....does it play like YOU want it to play....who knows maybe the guitar for you is a cheap 50 dollar jap knock off....

chadsxe said:
Yes...with out question....I will give you a quick review tomrrow....you know honest it all comes down to what you like....just make sure you are sure of this before you purchase.....play the guitar through your amp....try it in a few diffrent amps....does it sound like YOU want it to sound.....does it play like YOU want it to play....who knows maybe the guitar for you is a cheap 50 dollar jap knock off....

True, the hard part is, I can't find the LTD MH-1000 around here to try. I'm gonna try to test out a similar model if I can find one though. Thanks man.

-Joe

xtranscendedx said:
ok cool enough just thought you should not sell yourself short on gettting a killer guitar for short money,that is all;)

Oh jeez.

They're fine guitars and there have been clips made on here with them, but I get tired of seeing people come along with "OMG get an Agile it blowz away Gibson!!!111". They're good guitars, for the price. I would take one of these models over a Diamond series Schecter, having played both. But this thread has nothing to do with them, and he is explicitly asking about 2 guitars and no others.

ON TOPIC, I would prefer the LTD. It feels better built, I much prefer the necks, and the stock pickups are better.

MilkAndCheese said:
Oh jeez.

They're fine guitars and there have been clips made on here with them, but I get tired of seeing people come along with "OMG get an Agile it blowz away Gibson!!!111". They're good guitars, for the price. I would take one of these models over a Diamond series Schecter, having played both. But this thread has nothing to do with them, and he is explicitly asking about 2 guitars and no others.

ON TOPIC, I would prefer the LTD. It feels better built, I much prefer the necks, and the stock pickups are better.

yeah i gave up on that awhile ago;)

chadsxe said:
Everytime I pick up a Ibanez I cringe because it always feels like a cheap toy to me.....

My RG7620 feels a tad toy-ish, due to the glossy, plastic-y finish 'n' whatnot, but my UV, RG2127X, and RGA121 are all far from feeling cheap and toy-like.

DNW said:
My RG7620 feels a tad toy-ish, due to the glossy, plastic-y finish 'n' whatnot, but my UV, RG2127X, and RGA121 are all far from feeling cheap and toy-like.

hey man how good is the sustain on that RGA121??? Do the stock tuners hold tuning well?? Thanks.

-Joe

The RGA121 sustains just nicely, although I'm sure the averagey pickups aren't helping. As long as the nut's set up properly, it should hold tune nicely (comes with 9s, so I had to set it up for 10s).

(BTW, we've already been through this on HC ;) ).

After having played the RGA last night I am going to have to say that I still would get the LTD/ESP.....I don't know mayber I just hate Ibanez now....it still felt more like a toy to me.....I guess you are just going to have to find a 1000 to play....

DNW said:
The RGA121 sustains just nicely, although I'm sure the averagey pickups aren't helping. As long as the nut's set up properly, it should hold tune nicely (comes with 9s, so I had to set it up for 10s).

(BTW, we've already been through this on HC ;) ).

Hahaha! Shit man I totally forgot it was you!! Sorry dude...

:) :loco:

-joe

chadsxe said:
After having played the RGA last night I am going to have to say that I still would get the LTD/ESP.....I don't know mayber I just hate Ibanez now....it still felt more like a toy to me.....I guess you are just going to have to find a 1000 to play....

That's cool man, different strokes I guess. I'm gonna take a ride today and try to find a LTD 1000 series. Thanks for the review.

-Joe

J.DavisNJ said:
That's cool man, different strokes I guess. I'm gonna take a ride today and try to find a LTD 1000 series. Thanks for the review.

-Joe

Well I guess I should be a little bit more fair.....the RGA is not bad.....if there was no LTD I might actually consider the Ibanez....I played the RGA321FSPB through a JCM2000....the finish vs the 1000 was a matter of taste.....I much more prefer the EMG's in the 1000 over the DiMarzio IBZ's in the Ibanez.....espically for crunch and clearity.....my biggest problem with the RGA was the neck....I don't like how the roll over on the neck feels....I actually noticed gaps between the fret board and neck in 2 diffrent spots....not good.....though the RGA did not seem like a toy it felt like the build quality was not on par with the 1000....like I said get out there and play both then make the choice for your self....