Guitar Question

Sep 21, 2001
Akron, OH
So, I have a guitar question, obviously. The only example I can think of that kind of explains what I'm talking about is Enter Sandman. You know how sometimes the guitar riffs kind of sound like they're being ground against something? I really don't know how to word it, but I want to know how they do it. If anyone gets what I mean, can you help me out? Thanks.

do you mean the guitar (laying) back(ing) the vox and then go a tone up to create tension and then explode into the main riff?

or what?

Yea.. that "crunch crunch" sound!!

That's called 'palm-muting'

The guitarist takes his palm and places it on the bridge, dampening the strings a bit.. and when you play the string with a pick, you get the attack of the note but it's shortened and doesn't sustain...
It works best with a good distortion, that way you get a well-balanced 'crunch'.

Fuck.

You don't know what palm muting is?

Heres a hit:

Sell your guitar, and take some PIANO lessons.

Originally posted by Trapped
Fuck.

You don't know what palm muting is?

Heres a hit:

Sell your guitar, and take some PIANO lessons.

or clavicimbel (is this correct in english too?) harpsichord is the name
the strings are automuted...

and so what if the guy doesn't know palm muting...?!!now he does..

I'd like to play piano too...it's easier than guitar though

Piano easier than guitar? hahaha

Piano takes more accuracy...

Then again, I've been playing guitar for 6 years and have just recently started learning piano... so I guess I'm saying that from MY point of view.

It's like teaching a dog tricks. The first dog you try it with you achieve what you want. Then you try it with a second dog and tell yourself you'll do everything the same way, but you do and it fails... I don't know.

Enter Sandman? If memory serves me right, the only techniques they use in that song are palm mute, slide and vibrato (and quite possibly bend, if you want to get into technicallity, but who doesn't bend in a solo?). You're probably thinking of the palm mute.

Number one, I'm currently in the process of learning to play, thank you! And number two, yes, I do know what palm muting is, I just didn't realize that's what it was. You don't have to get all up in arms, it was just a question.

I've played guitar for about 12 years, and i played piano for about 3/4 years before i got bored...

You are wrong tho, guitar takes much more accuracy, with a piano, you can only 'hit' a note either soft or loud, there is no two ways about it, but with guitar, there is ALOT more notes to use, and there is a multitude of ways to use them.

Yeah, I realize that I said that because I'm so used to playing guitar that it comes second nature to me... and just starting piano, it's more difficult than guitar (right now at least).

Originally posted by Skreemqueen

I thank you for backing me up, but just so you know, I am a she, my dear.:)

ehm sorry left my brains Somewhere...I already found it a faggy name...for a guy....not that I mean 'a guy' is a fag of course...:p