Guitar question

Egon

New Metal Member
Sep 13, 2004
What type of music did the singer of Opeth play when he started writing songs? Some have told me folk, some blues, some jazz, anyone have any insight to this?

Im in the process of learning the entire my arms, your hearse album and any help is appreciated.

Credence \m/

Egon said:
What type of music did the singer of Opeth play when he started writing songs? Some have told me folk, some blues, some jazz, anyone have any insight to this?

Im in the process of learning the entire my arms, your hearse album and any help is appreciated.

Credence \m/

considering his first song he wrote was called "I hate hip hop" or something to that effect, I wouldn't expect it to be jazz. It was almost certainly metal, I can guess at that much.

Kind of a stupid question...if you are a guitarist who is starting out and say "Im only going to play *genre*" you are limiting your musical growth as a musician by extremes. Im sure Mike played mostly metal, like Maiden etc, but you can't doubt that he played lots of folk/rock like the Beatles, Zeppelin and all that other good stuff that is just so important for a guitar player to know about.

It's not a stupid question at all man. It's a completely viable one - what kind of music did Mike play at first? Most guitar players start off in a particular genre and (hopefully) expand their music horizons from there.

haggard said:
It's not a stupid question at all man. It's a completely viable one - what kind of music did Mike play at first? Most guitar players start off in a particular genre and (hopefully) expand their music horizons from there.

exactly.

and mikael started out playing metal...then once the foundation was laid, he started to dabble in folk and elsewhere i beleive.

Maybe my choice of words was poor, but I am no amateur guitarist. I am just interested in what influenced him the most while he was developing as a guitarist himself. He's got a very nice style of playing and I want to take the things I like from him and incorporate them into my own style.

I guess his style comes from :

- Personnal style
- Metal (Death Metal, Heavy Metal, Black Metal)
- Prog Rock (mainly Camel, I guess Latimer has a HUGE influence on his playing)
- Pop/Folk (The Beatles are among the top of his favorite artists' list)

Mike started to play metal, he was a big fan of Death, Morbid Angel and some other stuff, also Maiden, of course.
After years, he was interested on the 70's music, progressive stuff, bands like Yes, Zeppelin, well, I don't remember what else. But you can find some more influences on Opeth's website of course, try there.
And in some interviews he has told what else he has been listening while he's been writing new material. So there you can find more.
\m/
Luz.-