Guitar room construction

Feb 28, 2010
Corsica
Hi everyone! I would like to build a guitar room but i don't know for the size..
that you advise me? 2x2 meters with a height of 2,30m would be good?for acoustic treatment that you advice me? Thanks guys!

You never want to have one dimension of the room exactly the same size as another. You also don't want the dimensions too close together. You will introduce nasty room mode issues.

If possible, build the room according to the Golden Ratio: (1 (high) by 1.6 (deep) by 2.6 (wide))

^ i like the idea, but is there really any source or proof, that the golden ratio helps with acoustics?
just curious.

^ i like the idea, but is there really any source or proof, that the golden ratio helps with acoustics?
just curious.

Its basic physics dude: 1.6 = 1 3/5, 2.6 = 2 3/5, 1.6/2.6 ~0.6

0.6 = 3/5

3/5, being an odd fraction, means that the fundamental modes in each axis of the room are always anharmonic with each other (as opposed to even ratios, 1/2, 1/4 etc which will lead to buildups at frequncies that are harmonics of each other, and they will be mutally emnphasising; where they cross, they'll double.

wavelength = phase velocity/frequency

Phase velocity = speed of sound for this purpose, wavelengths = the dimensions of the room, since they're standing modes. so obviously f = v/L and crunch some numbers, if its not obvious to you from the ratios:

So say you have 1m by 2 by 4 (very low cieling, I know). All will have modes at 350hz, (first and second overtone in the latter two cases), 2 and 4 both have 175hz modes. They add, you get a 175hz buildup. 1, 1.6 and 2.6m have 350, 220 and 135, then you have modes @ 440, 270, 540 etc; never the same. Theres still buildup at certain frequncies because of modes in each axis, but its more even on the whole because no two sets of standing waves are have modes at the same frequencies.

Its basically making the standing waves all as close to 'out of tune' with each other as you can.

The best thing, as a general rule, is to have as few parallel walls in as large a room as you can, so buildup of standing waves is minimised to begin with.

the golden ratio is coincidentally quite good for room acoustics. However, it doesn't have any special significance, there are many acceptable ratios.

What sort of design are we talking about? A room within a room?

2.30 x 2.05 x 1.75 gives an acceptable spread of room modes at lower frequencies, problems will start to creep in above 150hz but that range is easily treatable with rockwool

first step would be to fill the corners with rockwool, superchunk style. This will help with all the room modes (and before anyone says room modes aren't important above about 200hz, the transition area from modes to ray tracing is dependant on the internal volume and dimensions of the room, this is a very small room). Then make some panel traps with rockwool, and finally add some acoustic foam (like the link you posted) to taste (depending on whether you want a very dead room or a little bit of (admittedly very short) ambience at higher frequencies)

woo, go nested brackets :p