Guitar Setup

Wow, that PLEK stuff looks awesome! :O

It is awesome!
.. but dangerous, because seriously, the setup is so perfect after being PLEKED that you think the most bad ass "manual" setups sucks donkeys balls after playing one.

Michael Amott uses a custom set of 11-59 in C.
I use a custom set of 12-59 in C but, sincerely, I think I'll switch to a softer gauge because the strings will resonate well. With too heavy strings the sound is muddy and less saturated.

I started using the Elixir 12-68s for Standard C...It's just fucking amazing in every way. It seems a little wacky but its really not as strange as it sounds, try it! Awesome tone

Don't forget that you have to play heavy strings differently.

Jeff

I have experimented with strings abit in the past but never really found this, though having said that I've not gone past 11's in open D on a 6 stringer.

Could you please elaborate on your findings about playing heavier guage strings differently?

If you hit them like a wimp, you sound like a wimp.

I'm not sure where the odd belief that heavy strings 'don't resonate well' (despite having more mass at higher tension - and, as a result, being capable of producing higher volume both acoustically and through the pickups) came from, but it reflects a pretty severe lack of physical intuition - you might as well conclude that pocketknives are deadlier than claymores because the force you'd use to swing a pocketknife around doesn't move a gigantic-assed sword very well. You can't tickle strings with feather dusters and expect them to sound good - but when you use the same pick attack on 8s as you would on 13s, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that the 13s don't get pushed around quite as easily.

Jeff

I started using the Elixir 12-68s for Standard C...It's just fucking amazing in every way. It seems a little wacky but its really not as strange as it sounds, try it! Awesome tone

Dont use elixirs!
If you buy a pack of those, each of the 6 strings will come from different companies, and they are just dipped in gortex!
If you want a coated string, get a EMP-treated one(Like Cleartone.).. they're not as dull sounding as Elixirs, live just as long, and they dont start to "frill up" when they are worn!

Elixirs used to be D'Addarios treated with gortex, but now days Elixir buys the cheapest strings they can find on the market and coat them.

Don't forget that you have to play heavy strings differently.

Jeff

I play heavy strings for about 2 years (13-62 and 12-59 in C) and I play them very hard.
I find heavy strings much more comfortable for my taste...but I don't know, when I mic my riffs, it sounds muddy and not aggressive (also if I play very hard)...and for example Marcus riffs (12-54 in C) sounds more saturated and agressive, they have that metallic sound that sounds way better in my opinion.
Heavy strings have a deeper and less clearly sound I suppose.
I'll do some test in the future

Let's see if you can help me with my burny lespaul copy (24.75 scale length):
I have used in the past 10-54 in C standard with no problem.
Now I switched over 10-60 cause lowC wasn't tight enough, but the low C can't tune perfectly, the intonation is fucked up!
I mean C open string is ok but at the 12 fret is too sharp, and I can't turn the screw to go "away from neck" since is at the end.
So I took a 56 and see that the problem didn't disappear but was far better than before.
I lowered the action and definetely it sounded right, almost perfect.
I tried even straightening the fretboard turning the truss rod, but it didn' help that much as changing the string to a thinner one and lowering the action.
I don't know if it's the capo non perfectly alligned to the edge of the fretboard maybe.
When I received the guitar the capo "jumped out" (shipped from japan and 20 years old) so I glued that myself.
What should I do?

cheers

For the intonation...I used to do the following thing to my LP, tuned to B:
Put the saddle backwards, instead of being like this |\ put it like /| ( looking at the side of the bridge) so it has that little more ;)

What do you mean by capo? I thought a capo was the thing used in acoustics to shift tuning around the neck ( sorry for the crappy explanation of it)

I already did that :(
Capo: I mean this
Torres12.JPG

Oh the nut? it's so weird it popped out :eek:
I'd take it to a tech to glue the nut, check fret level and such...LP's are quite a bitch to keep in tune ( when tuned that low), but once you found the sweet spot, it's done ;)

Let's see if you can help me with my burny lespaul copy (24.75 scale length):
I have used in the past 10-54 in C standard with no problem.
Now I switched over 10-60 cause lowC wasn't tight enough, but the low C can't tune perfectly, the intonation is fucked up!
I mean C open string is ok but at the 12 fret is too sharp, and I can't turn the screw to go "away from neck" since is at the end.
So I took a 56 and see that the problem didn't disappear but was far better than before.
I lowered the action and definetely it sounded right, almost perfect.
I tried even straightening the fretboard turning the truss rod, but it didn' help that much as changing the string to a thinner one and lowering the action.
I don't know if it's the capo non perfectly alligned to the edge of the fretboard maybe.
When I received the guitar the capo "jumped out" (shipped from japan and 20 years old) so I glued that myself.
What should I do?

cheers

Your saddle being glued on incorrectly shouldnt affect the 12th fret intonation as much as it would affect the 5-7th fret intonation.
Your guitar is probably built for being played with thinner strings(8-10's), which means that it wont intonate properly with fatter string gauges.
What you can do is put on a bit thinner strings with a round core(Gives higher tension at lower gauges.), and then adjust your neck to a slight relief, you should increase string tension enough for it to not be "floppy" and still keep intonation.

I have the same problem with my Schecter C1. I have the 6th saddle all backwards but the note (C) at 12th fret is still sharp. The weird thing is that all the other strings are adjustable because I have lot of space between the saddles and the end of the "bridge".

Your saddle being glued on incorrectly shouldnt affect the 12th fret intonation as much as it would affect the 5-7th fret intonation.
Your guitar is probably built for being played with thinner strings(8-10's), which means that it wont intonate properly with fatter string gauges.
What you can do is put on a bit thinner strings with a round core(Gives higher tension at lower gauges.), and then adjust your neck to a slight relief, you should increase string tension enough for it to not be "floppy" and still keep intonation.

well I passed from .66 to .60 to .56 to .54 lol
.54 is by far the best, intonation wise.
Lowering the action as I said before helped a bit more ;)
I think, more than straightening the neck (slight relief ), what really helped was using a thinner string.

Thanks ;)

Dont use elixirs!
If you buy a pack of those, each of the 6 strings will come from different companies, and they are just dipped in gortex!
If you want a coated string, get a EMP-treated one(Like Cleartone.).. they're not as dull sounding as Elixirs, live just as long, and they dont start to "frill up" when they are worn!

Elixirs used to be D'Addarios treated with gortex, but now days Elixir buys the cheapest strings they can find on the market and coat them.

where does this info come from?, becasue i really like elixers. they seem great for dudes with acid sweat. (ala me)

where does this info come from?, becasue i really like elixers. they seem great for dudes with acid sweat. (ala me)

It comes from the Swedish retailers of Elixirs.
I work in a music store, and we where about to place a pretty big order for Elixirs, but the retailers them selves told us that it was better to buy other strings because Elixir has dropped their quality severely lately.

Ive played the old Elixirs, which was regular D'addario strings that they've coated, and i didnt like them back then either.
I think that Elixirs sounds like worn out strings, and i dont like the feel of the coating either.. but we got a box of Cleartones, and they sounded allot better + that you didnt feel the coating at all!
And that is because they coat the winding material before winding it, which allows the coating to be thinner with the same durability, which in its turn lest more of the strings tone through(And to make them like new, wipe them with alcohol!).

I got the chance to try both elixirs and cleartones. Both sounded fine to me.
For now I think I'll stick with cleartones because they supposedly coat all six strings and not only the wound ones and I usually have problems with the plain strings rusting and being uncomfortable to play. From what I know elixirs only coat the wound strings, but I may be wrong.