Guitar solos, we all love them...

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
Hey, since most of the guys here are guitar players, what´s your favourite guitar solos?

Here is my choice:

Well, my choice is based on how a guitar solo can be memorable, the emotions that they bring, it´s about the melodies that you almost can whistle. So it´s not much the technical side of them. Well, evergrey and michael jackson solos are quite hard to play correctly. Nowadays it´s true the the standard is quite high, there are a lot of good players out there, doing insane stuff that i couldnt play even with 3 hands! ahah but the solos despite is technical side are most of the time quite forgettable.

This will be a cool thread because I also need good solos to learn, those solos you say, holy fuck, this is good, I gonna pick my guitar. I am lazy as fuck when comes to learn something new, my guitar solo chops must be the same as 5 years ago!lol

No more talk, post yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solo starts a bit after the 2 minute mark, but it will have a much bigger impact if you don't just skip to it. I just love how melodic this is.

Couple of my favorites...

Solo at 2:18 and then outro from 3:44.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfkATcv-dVY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Solo at 2:59

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoweoZ6jpM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Don't ask me why, but for me it's been the first solo here around 1:45, for pretty much ever since my bands other guitarplayer showed it to me

One of my all time favorite solos - Alex Lifeson's Limelight solo - a perfect example of not needing flash and as many notes as possible to express just the right emotion for a song, mostly just a bar workout, but it just works.

I could probably list a few pages of solos by Alex as some of my favorites but I'll just link this video as an example of some good ones by Alex - he's not the flashiest player, but he tends to play something just right for each song.

I have to highlight this one however (solo starts about 2:40 in):

One of my personal favourites is actually Keith Scott, the guitarist for Bryan Adams. Some of the most tasteful solos Ive ever heard, always knows exactly what note to play. Yea, thats right, I love Bryan Adams. :cool:

@ 3:26

@ 2:47

I don't have a favorite solo but Ima post this anyways

for me it's always been every maiden solo, yes even yanick's:)
on top of my head: davie's solo on "powerslave" and adrian's solo on "caught somewhere" in time and yanick's solo on "from here to eternity" come to mind.
and I agree with david gilmour's solos being extraordinary.
oh, and although I don't like queen, brian may's solo on innuendo is great.

Always loved This Love (get it....) from 05:30 onwards:

Also in love with the bottleneck solo here on that live concert, around 1:20, 2:33 beeing my fav lick.

I remember my father videotaping that concert when it was on TV back then somewhen :lol:

Great post guys!

How could I forget these:

These are fucking great but also quite hard to play.

Anything from David Gilmour... Comfortably Numb comes to mind.

Steve Vai's "For the Love Of God" with the final Climax used to give me goosebumps when I was a Kid.

Off the top of my head

^ starting around 2:30

Michael Schenker on the UFO song Rock Bottom. Schenker is another one that I could go on forever listing solos from.