Guitar solos, we all love them...

Andy's solo there when the "breakdown" part comes in is just amazing. Chuck's solo is great too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stairway to Heaven is a pretty epic one.

Didn't Gilmore/Pink Floyd get some sort of credit for having one of the most memorable solos in rock or something?

As much as I like (love some) Pink Floyd I've always thought the people who rate their guitar solos as among the "best" are the sort of people who generally don't like guitar solos.

Wow, difficult thread, there are so many...

My favourite lead guitarist is Fredrik Thordendal, some of the stuff that he's done is insane. Maybe especially on the Special Defects album, which is a masterpiece in lead guitar.

Apart from that A Predator's Portrait by Soilwork is a demonstration in how to play solos in modern metal. It's impossible not to mention Maiden, and Per Nilsson always does quality stuff for Scar Symmetry. Mikael Åkerfeldt has done a few AMAZING ones as well, Anders Björler etc...

While not really a particular solo, as the whole song is really one big solo, but Joe Satriani's The Forgotten (Part Two) has always held a very special place in my guitar appreciating heart. As a whole, the last 5 tracks of Flying in a Blue Dream, The Forgotten (Parts I &II), The Bells of Lal (Parts I & II), and Into the Light, make for a great ending to one of my favorite Satriani albums.

As much as I like (love some) Pink Floyd I've always thought the people who rate their guitar solos as among the "best" are the sort of people who generally don't like guitar solos.

Hehe, you're right :D
I'm normally not a big fan of solos in general. I even wouldn't call the High Hopes 'solo' a typical solo. For me it's more a 'melodic outro', but epic anyway.

I'm sorry that I don't have time to hunt down and post links to these at the moment. If I get time later, I'll try.

I'm sure most people here will gag at some or most of these songs (mostly from the 80's). However, to me...the solos in each of these songs are shining examples of what an excellent guitar solo is, for various reasons (tasteful note choice, emotion, technicality, or sheer attitude). As the wise Jind is always saying in his posts..."Your Mileage May Vary".

Yngwie Malmsteen - "You Don't Remember (I'll Never Forget)" from Trilogy

Dokken - "Into The Fire" from Tooth and Nail

Dokken - "Heaven Sent" from Back For The Attack

Bryan Adams - "Cuts Like A Knife"

RUSH - "La Villa Strangiato" from Exit Stage Left

The Cars - "Tonight She Comes"

Megadeth - "Symphony of Destruction"

Cacaphony - "Desert Island"

Pantera - "We'll Meet Again" from Power Metal

Whitesnake - "Is This Love"

Night Ranger - "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" from Dawn Patrol

Night Ranger - "I Will Follow You" from Seven Wishes

Dio - "Last In Line"

Circus Maximus - "Alive" from The 1st Chapter

Tony MacAlpine/M.A.R.S. - "I Can See It In Your Eyes" (main solo and out going solo) from Project: Driver

Pat Benetar - "Treat Me Right" from Crimes Of Passion

Scorpions - "Rock You Like A Hurricane" from Love At First Bite

Rainbow - "Street Of Dreams" from Bent Out Of Shape

Ozzy - "Bark At The Moon"

Racer X - "Living The Hard Way" from Second Heat

Racer X - "Sunlit Nights" from Second Heat

is this even a question?

This will always, always, always and forever be the greatest solo in history imo. If I ever write something as good i'll happily rip my own cock off and throw it to the lions.

Also about pink floyd, while I find alot of their songs a bit meh, there's no denying that dave gilmour is an absolutely incredible guitarist. The live version of comfortably numb from "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" is so much better than the original

I'm sorry that I don't have time to hunt down and post links to these at the moment. If I get time later, I'll try.

I'm sure most people here will gag at some or most of these songs (mostly from the 80's). However, to me...the solos in each of these songs are shining examples of what an excellent guitar solo is, for various reasons (tasteful note choice, emotion, technicality, or sheer attitude). As the wise Jind is always saying in his posts..."Your Mileage May Vary".

Yngwie Malmsteen - "You Don't Remember (I'll Never Forget)" from Trilogy

RUSH - "La Villa Strangiato" from Exit Stage Left

Dio - "Last In Line"

Pat Benatar - "Treat Me Right" from Crimes Of Passion

Rainbow - "Street Of Dreams" from Bent Out Of Shape

Ozzy - "Bark At The Moon"

From your list, these are the ones I really do like quite a bit.

I like the choice of the solo from "Treat Me Right". Neil Giraldo always seemed to play just the right thing for a song. I also love the solo from "Hell is for Children" from Crimes of Passion. I know I'm showing my age, but you picked a good example of what many now would overlook.

Another good choice on a track from Trilogy for Yngwie. Trilogy has always been one of Yngwie's albums I really liked quite a bit, more commercial than the first two, but some great melodies and some great soloing as well.

Others I'd add from some of the artists listed would be:

Rainbow - "Stone Cold" (love the use of the choked/staccato notes in the lead solo and outro solo)

Scorpions - "No One Like You" (both the intro solo and lead - Blackout is in the list of my all time favorite albums, and not just Scorpions albums).

I'm in the same camp as you - the majority of my choices would be from the 80's and 90's, probably says more about the fact that I'm turning 46 in a little over a month, but still it just seems like some of the best playing came from those decades.

The live version of comfortably numb from "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" is so much better than the original

I actually prefer the Pulse version - the whole imagery is incredible. Truly gives me chills every time I see it.

Pink Floyd has always been a band that I appreciate live versions of songs over studio versions almost in every instance. Saw them in October of 87 on the Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour at the Hartford Civic Center here in CT. Great show - even without Roger Waters.

...I'm in the same camp as you - the majority of my choices would be from the 80's and 90's, probably says more about the fact that I'm turning 46 in a little over a month, but still it just seems like some of the best playing came from those decades.

I'm not far behind you. I'll turn 44 in just a little over a month. ;)

One more I can't believe I forgot to mention: Hellion - "Bad Attitude" from Screams In The Night. I love Chet's playing on this album. Not always perfect and clean, but it still grabs my attention and makes me back up and play it again. (just like everyone else on my list)

There's others that need to be mentioned, but I've already listed too many. :lol:

I'm not far behind you. I'll turn 44 in just a little over a month. ;)

One more I can't believe I forgot to mention: Hellion - "Bad Attitude" from Screams In The Night. I love Chet's playing on this album. Not always perfect and clean, but it still grabs my attention and makes me back up and play it again. (just like everyone else on my list)

There's others that need to be mentioned, but I've already listed too many. :lol:

Talk about connecting thoughts just from the mention of phrases and words. Your post above and the words "Screams in the Night" made me think of another guitar performance I always loved:

Krokus "Screaming in the Night" (the opening lead and short solo are perfect for the song (one of my favorite 80's tunes metal/hard rock tunes of the great album Headhunter)).

Great posts guys. I have to hear all carefully.

Here it´s another great one:

3:12

What solo thread is complete without these guys

Could just put the whole damn albums...