Thoughts on solos

Black Dragon

Longest Here
Apr 29, 2001
Your Remains Shall Decorate My Home...
Ok, I have thought about how to word this for quite sometime, just right, to get my feelings out correctly on the matter of guitar solos. I'm not a big fan of solos. Now what I mean by that is not that I dislike the idea behind it, just that most solos to me are just solos for have a solo sake instead of a solo telling a part of the song like its part of a story. Now there are a few bands in my opinion that do the solo thing very very well and each solo seems like its supposed to be there, Iron Maiden is the best example I can think of off top. Most bands though it seems just interject solos after two verses, like its some golden rule, and the solo ends up being some out of control wankfest that actually takes away from the song as a whole.

I think that is one thing that appeals to me about Opeth. They don't seem solo oriented and when they do rip out a solo or two in a song it doesn't click in my head as "oh, a solo" its more like "ah a nice flowing part of the song" instead. Am I making any sense to anyone else?

I think maiden is one of those bands that seems obliged to throw in at least 2 solos per song.. as if its some unwritten rule. I personally hate that, but having been listening to metal for a few years now, I've grown used to it.

I like Opeth as they add it for the atmosphere alone... in a song like Demon of the Fall, they don't ruin the atmosphere with a solo.. they just keep that disharmony chugging.

Advent is another great example of a song (a fairly long one at that) not needing a solo. I don't see why some bands need to put a solo in every single song.

I agree -Maiden's soloing is perfectly suited to the songs and the difference in styles between Adrian (more melodic) and Dave (more shredding) is incredible. I don't mention Janick cos I dont think his solos are anywhere near the quality of the other two.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I agree -Maiden's soloing is perfectly suited to the songs and the difference in styles between Adrian (more melodic) and Dave (more shredding) is incredible. I don't mention Janick cos I dont think his solos are anywhere near the quality of the other two.

I'm sorry but IMO they overuse solo's too much and sometimes they don't fit. I was playing in a band (which basically at one point may as well of been an Iron Maiden cover's band) and used to play certain songs all the time. For example, Children of the damned is really soft-mellow song, then you get that stupid emotionless fast bit with the tapped solo over the top. To me that takes the emotion that the song had completley away from the song.

Iron Maiden, Opeth and Katatonia are the best bands I know of when it comes to incorporating their solos in a satisfying way. Some bands like King Diamond can really destroy the mood with "another lousy solo". Remember that the solos are based on the same scales as the riffs played earlier in the song. Some bands forget this...

Opeth's solos are very musical. They never stick out like a soar thumb, which is what really bothers me about solos. in some cases, over doing it with loud and annoying solos can be cool. i.e. slayer fans know that when jeff and kerry trade off solos at the end of angel of death, it is definetely cool. Their solos rarely ever match the music. They are chaotic, which is what that band is all about. now that i completely went off the subject of opeth, i will shut up.

Necroticism said:
For example, Children of the damned is really soft-mellow song, then you get that stupid emotionless fast bit with the tapped solo over the top. To me that takes the emotion that the song had completley away from the song.

o_O
Fucking blasphemer!
Well, it's your opinion, but I think you're mad! I don't think Maiden ever put a foot wrong in any way until No Prayer For The Dying.

Black Dragon said:
Ok, I have thought about how to word this for quite sometime, just right, to get my feelings out correctly on the matter of guitar solos. I'm not a big fan of solos. Now what I mean by that is not that I dislike the idea behind it, just that most solos to me are just solos for have a solo sake instead of a solo telling a part of the song like its part of a story. Now there are a few bands in my opinion that do the solo thing very very well and each solo seems like its supposed to be there, Iron Maiden is the best example I can think of off top. Most bands though it seems just interject solos after two verses, like its some golden rule, and the solo ends up being some out of control wankfest that actually takes away from the song as a whole.

I think that is one thing that appeals to me about Opeth. They don't seem solo oriented and when they do rip out a solo or two in a song it doesn't click in my head as "oh, a solo" its more like "ah a nice flowing part of the song" instead. Am I making any sense to anyone else?

I agree with you for the most part, except for Iron Maiden. They are one of the best examples of guitar wankery there is...

perhaps everyone could clarify their position on guitar solos by citing clear examples. what iron maiden songs and solos demonstrate well placed or out of place solos?

I'm suprised no one's mentioned Sabbath...I s'pose it's too blatant to mention though...but anyway, could you imagine any of their songs without the solos? Didn't think so...

And now my aim of every post - to mention THAT solo in A Fair Judgement (yes, the one around 5:07 or something)...brilliant and doesn't take away from the song one bit, in fact it probably has a lot to do with why that song is one of my favourite Opeth songs...

EDIT: Radiohead also deserve a mention...they have kerrazy solos...stuff like Paranoid Android is wicked...and they don't feel the need to throw them in every single fucking song. :D

I've noticed that myself. Very few Opeth solos truly stick out compared to most solos. They are good solos, but they don't try to catch your attention. It works quite well actually.

AceRoccola said:
I disagree, i love solos, and like Smitty said "[Iron Maiden] are one of the best examples of guitar wankery there is..."

You must die by having a boot forced down your throat! Do you not know, blasphemer, that Opeth themselves covered the glorius Iron Maiden? (that means they are fans, for all you slow types...)

Ergol The Ineffable said:
You must die by having a boot forced down your throat! Do you not know, blasphemer, that Opeth themselves covered the glorius Iron Maiden? (that means they are fans, for all you slow types...)

im not saying Iron Maiden arent excellent, but that's not a good reason. it is basing your decisions on someone else's opinion.