Solos

shark22

RuffRyda
Oct 18, 2004
Sorry to make a similar thread but I have a question about some solos. I like both the solo in benighted and in harvest. Are these solos entirely clean or do they have some slight overdrive/distortion? Thanks. I want to be able to play them as accurately as possible! You can disregard my other thread, it is similar to this one.

Well in case you missed that recent thread, here's a refference point for you:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000158087_000025630.mp3

This is an old sort of partial cover I did for Benighted. It starts with the solo, which I did with absolutely not distortion at all. That's just clean neck pickup straight into the PC and touched up with some compression and EQ. You can see if you compare it to the actual benighted solo that it lacks a sort of edge that you get when you drive it slightly.

I actualy play guitar through a bass amp. To be honest I'm not sure what I'm missing without a guitar amp. To get the metal distortion sound, I simply have a "classic metal" pedal (nice rhyme huh). I used to only play bass but wanted guitar later on. My guitar teacher at the time said I will get a fuller sound through the bass amp, and don't bother with a guitar amp. I can adjust the presence, bass and treble, mid, plus volume but that's about it. I should actually check out more of the threads here, I have mostly been just making my own. Thanks, opeth fans are the coolest!

Umm I've found using a bass amp gives a flat sound. Sort of similar to lining directly into the PC. There simply isn't enough presence on them to project a good guitar sound... the articulation just isn't there either. Basically the circuitry and driver in the bass cabinet/combo is geared towards the lower frequency spectrum, not where the guitars dwell. I have absolutely no idea why a guitar instructor would suggest that you stick with a bass amp... seems ludicrous to me.

If you're looking for bluesy clean electric sounds, you definately won't be getting them from a bass amp.

one of the greatest blues/rock amps ever made is a bass amp.

fender bassman...i'm thinking about getting one and a/b-ing it with my vc30. when cranked, it is fat and thick...and they're cheap...you can get 'em on ebay for like 300 bucks...the good ones (specifically the black-face era) are older than any of us, but they are built like a brick shit-house.