Opeth Solos

phagist_

\m/
Nov 7, 2005
Melbourne, Aust
Well i been playing 10months and i just learned the when solo, and im looking for more opeth solos to learn. Could anyone possibly list some of the more well known opeth solos in order of difficulty? Or which next i should attempt

thanks alot

The Leper Affinity solo is a fantastic one to attempt. It teaches you a lot about Mike's style, and hopefully that rubs off on your own playing.

I find it's important to focus on learning Mike's solos if you're gonna be learning Opeth, because he has more advanced elements of style and notation. It'll help you be a better guitarist, in terms of your expression, not just how fluently you can play a slur of notes.

Having said that, you should focus on his later stuff. Like MAYH and beyond. He really became a more fluent player at that point and it really shows.

Nuk3m said:
What necrophagist solos do you know how to play?
advanced corpse tumor, seven, fermented offal discharge.... haha i wish
none, yet;)

Godhead's Lament said:
If you want challenge, go for The Grand Conjuration. That solo is awesome.
yeh im learning that, i got the tapping part down to the speed of the song, i can do the picked but not to speed.

Thanks for the tips moonlapse, ill have a look at the leper affinity.:Spin:

Nuk3m said:
What necrophagist solos do you know how to play?

i've learnt half of Foul Body Autopsy, the whole song is composed mostly of lead parts,, but i havent mastered the videogame-like solo in the middle yet, nor do i think i will in the near future!

The When solo after only 10 months...that´s good.

I now play nearly 6 years and I started learning Opeth solos after 3 years...

I can play:

Deliverance 1st solo
Godheads Lament
Wreath 1st solo

(my absolute favs)

and:

In mist she was standing 1st solo
when
a fair judgement
by the pain I see in others (there are more leads and the interlude at the end)
Master´s Apprentice (probably the easiest)

and I tried the 1st Windowpane solo, which ain´t that hard but you have to put in much feeling to do it right, I also started learning the last White Cluster solo and Serenity Painted Death solo!

dishcloth said:
I love the solo in "Mordet i Grottan". One of Mike's best.

Yeah, I love that one too. Mike totally goes crazy. What's really funny is that even when he goes all out, he doesn't sound like a generic shredder. He somehow injects feeling and melody even into the faster solos.

That's the hallmark of a really goddamn good guitarist.

That clean solo in A Fair Judgement is pretty difficult. after the words: 'A fair judgement is served...' I play the guitar for some 7 years now and ill have to admit that i can play the whole Lamentation dvd...most of them includes soloing. But still, that solo from a fair judgement is pretty difficult. You should check out Part 3 from lamentations to see what he's really playing. Cuz every tab has the wrong solo. You should check that one out, its a really good solo and after a couple of weeks rehearsing rehearsing and rehearsing...i can almost play as smooth as mikael, haha (i feel good)