Guitar tone competition 3 round 1

Which of these clips has the best guitar tone?

• 1A

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 1B

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • 1C

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • 1D

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 1E

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 1F

Votes: 28 44.4%
  • 1G

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
with 69 participants more like 10 weeks + finals. But this round has like 2 pretty clear "winner candidates", they have like 90% of the votes

so, why not post several rounds at the same time? after all they're not related by any means, and it would severly cut down on the competition time. 10 weeks, geez that's like first week of october or something.

I think B fits great with the song and it has clarity and the guitars are defined.

I had to chose F, but i Think it could have even better tone... let's wait for the next rounds...

Noticed all the tones were really close, I thinked that my tone would suck but now i see all are pretty close to each other and also with the one what I did.

Before I entered in the competition I played with this in Guitar Rig and liked much the tone I did, even more than the one I sent, I think that was stupid for not sending the other :face: :rofl:

Ok, here's my opinion

A: Riff guitars sound kinda muffled and it's hard to understand what the guitars are playing. Rhythm leads sound fine. Solo sounds like it lacks gain and I hate that tremolo effect.
B: Riff guitars sound really nice to me, they sound defined and clear. Rhythm leads sound fine too. Solo sounds nice too, I don't like that delay, a bit too long, and it could be louder
C: I am not counting this since he edited the backing track (automation)
D: Riff guitars: there's something weird about, I bet, the 2 extra tracks, they sound delayed. I don't know what he tried to do, but it sounds annoyingly weird. Tone doesn't seem to be bad, though. Rhythm leads sound ok, but I think there's one of the tracks that's louder because I can't quite hear them harmonized. Solo sounds nice too
E: Riff guitars: mixed too loud, still it sounds too trebly, kinda like Soilwork guitars, maybe if they were mixed lower the would fit better. Rhythm, ditto. Solo, I think it needs some delay.
F: Riff guitars sound almost like B, but a little fatter, I like them better. Rhythm leads: I like them, not much else to say that hasn't been said. Solo: I like how it sounds, perhaps the delay was too loud.
G: Rigg guitars: are 2 tracks unprocessed? I think I can hear clean or very little distorted guitars playing in the background, I don't like that at all. This seems to be gone during verses. Rhythm: kinda muffled. Solo: needs delay and reverb.

I voted F.

That was a hard one here... no weird meh tone to discard right away :)

Still at first i discarded those :

-D : not cutting through enough, tone is a bit weird/meh
-A : a tad too dark/undefined/muddy

Then i found the rest were really good and quite close, but :

- F : really good but guitars are too empowering in the mix, too loud... well too much
- B : too much guitars
- E : a bit too bright/presencey/fizzy/gainy
- G : a bit too dark

Which leaves C which had the right balance, volume, tone, everything. I think F / B / E could have won with slightly less volume or a tad more moderate settings.

Though C on the parts with "layers" (the guitars not playing the exact same stuff at the same time) could use better volume automation or something (for example, the only 2 remaining core rythm tracks during the first breakdown part could be a tad louder when the other 2 guitars are not playing, and the leads at the end of the song could be more upfront and louder).

So C wins for me.

p.s: that snippet reminded me a lot of God Forbid (breakdown parts and lead guitars at the end), and a little bit of Scar Symmetry (singing after first breakdown) and KsE (chorus)

so, why not post several rounds at the same time? after all they're not related by any means, and it would severly cut down on the competition time. 10 weeks, geez that's like first week of october or something.

I will do several rounds at once later. Just one for the first week to test the waters

Can you guys be more specific about that automation thing you hear for C ?

I guess i suck but i don't hear anything special :)

Not automation, but the whole last few bars of the backing track are missing at the end of the solo
I think he made that on purpose like "I think it would be really cool if drums stopped here and guitars are the last thing that's playing"

Is there any chance of having the solo guitars posted as well?
Doesn't have to be right now , but in the end it'll be nice to check the main differences in every file better and to check difference between solo'ed and in the mix.