Guitar Tone competition 3 round 5

Which of these tracks has the best guitar tone?

• 5B

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 5C

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 5D

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 5E

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • 5F

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 5G

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 6A

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Calm down guys :)

I just started listening to the recordings.
Immediately heard something I didn't remember listening :D
It seems I didn't include some original DIs.
That's what happens with a lousy 20 minute rushed reamp session :lol::lol:

IMO I should be disqualified :D

I know I shouldn't identify my recording but I don't think there's a chance I win :p
Anyhow my goal was 1 vote :lol::lol::lol:

Forget what I said, after listening to it (I've should have listen before talking about it) :lol::lol: I realized this wasn't my submission :lol::lol::lol:

Forget what I said, after listening to it (I've should have listen before talking about it) :lol::lol: I realized this wasn't my submission :lol::lol::lol:

Yeah it was mine. :cry:

I'm a little butthurt that mine did so bad considering how not good some of those were but eh. My mistake for leaving guitars as low as they were and missing the middle track.

5E is moving on to the next round!

5B was Lumpong Bayag

Guitar%20buss.png

Guitar%20Lead%20C%20DI.png

Guitar.png

5C was Mago

Tubescreamer, 6505+ (Green Channel,Settings: low 6 mid 4 high 6.5) Preampout,LeCab with Impulses: EDGE -1 I Inch ala Sneap pic & GuitarHack Original Centre
Guitarbus: HP 125Hz, LP 10kHz, Narrow -5dB dips @ 250 & 550 Hz, Reverb

The same for leadguitars, but with Red Channel (Settings: low 6, mid 6 high 7.5).
HP 250hz, LP 10k Hz, Delay + Reverb

Rhythms panned -100/100 and -90/90 (-2dB)
Melody panned -50/50

5D was MarcusGHedwig

Settings.JPG

5F was Mesa4x12er

Framus Cobra, Mesa Dual Rectifier. Marshall JCM2000

SM57/AT4050 > Chandler TG2 > Presonus Firestudio Project > Sonar

5G was MetalJonesy

Guitar tone competition3: MetalJonesy

Reamping signal chain:

Pro Tools LE 8
002 OUT>REAMPV2>TS9>Peavey 6505>Marshall 1960A with V30s >single SM57 ala Sneap but a bit more cone than dustcap>ART PRO MPA II>002 IN

Screenshot Info:

metaljonesy_picture001.jpg - this shows all volume automation i used and the master buss

metaljonesy_picture002.jpg - this shows the complete guitar buss processing. Signal flow from top left to right, then carrying on to bottom left to right

metaljonesy_picture003.jpg - this shows all lead guitar processing. The top line is for the overlay guitars and the bottom line is for the solo guitar.

metaljonesy_picture001.jpg

metaljonesy_picture002.jpg

metaljonesy_picture003.jpg

6A was AEL89

003 -> Radial X-amp -> Tubescreamer -> Fender 5150 -> Mesa Oversize 412 -> 2xSM57 -> Audient ASP008 -> 003

Compressed the leads and middle guitar with an 1176

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1010558/comp3 mp3s/Tubescreamer settings.jpg

RHYTHM%20PROCESSING.png

Mic%20placement.jpg

Mic%20placement%202.jpg

LEAD%20PROCESSING.png

CENTRE%20GUITAR%20PROCESSING.png

Audient%20settings.jpg

5150%20settings.jpg

1176%20settings.jpg

So only submissions with more than 10 votes move on to the next round, right?
Would explain why I was confused when we had 3 ones move to the next round a few rounds ago...

Most of them were real amps :lol:

Amp sims are getting better and better, or amps are getting harder and harder to get a good sound out of them :lol:

But I do agree most tracks sounded like amp sims.

I fear that too much tinkering with effects and EQs might be the cause of the more artificial sound we relate to amp sims in real amplifiers. Nothing like a bare bones setup to get a true amp sound.

Hey, whatever works best. We are so exposed to processed material that the majority of us have a thing for natural recordings, much like some photographers would not prefer to be photoshopping the hell out of their work but it seems to be the necessary evil.

I fear that too much tinkering with effects and EQs might be the cause of the more artificial sound we relate to amp sims in real amplifiers. Nothing like a bare bones setup to get a true amp sound.

You're right about that!!!
My reamps don't have any processing at all, unless my clients ask me for it.
It has to be right from the start.

Even in this competition due to the lack of time, my submission only has:
- LP/HP EQ (although it needed a touch of EQ for this mix)
- no automation (was needed for the mix obviously, but no time to do it :lol:)
- delay for the solo.

And I'm on for the next round (with low expectations I must say) :)

I'm shocked to see the amount of processing people are using for a guitar sound.