Guitar Tuners for intonation

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
So I have been using a Korg CA-30 for a few years now, and it does the every day trick well enough. But I am starting to get more into doing my own guitar setups, and was wondering if this really cuts it for getting precise intonation readings. Does it really make a difference to look at something superior? And any suggestions in a reasonable budget?

superior is always better but intonation is supposed to be basically dead on i jut have a "korg chromatic instrument tuner" that i use, gets the job done pretty good, i was told strobe tuners are perfect for it but ive never messed with one so cant say by experience

A standard tuner like like the CA30 is accurate enough for general use, but not for professional-level setup and intonation.

You'll want a more sensitive/accurate tuner for doing intonation work; many techs use strobe tuners for this. Peterson makes an excellent line of digital strobe tuners that are INSANELY accurate. I have a Peterson Stroboflip in my studio and it's pretty perfect for any kind of guitar/bass tuning needs.

I checked out Peterson tuners, they look great! Do you think the software is as accurate as the hardware? Since most of my tuning happens in DIs on the DAW, this would be useful in a variety of applications

I haven't used the software so I can't comment, though I did hear Butch Vig say that they used Strobosoft during tracking for the new Green Day record. I guess that's as good an endorsement as any.

I've had good luck with a program called AP Tuner, it's the most accurate one out of a few I've tried.

I've only done my own guitars, but my buddy/tech at the local music shop has checked my work and gave a thumbs-up.

yeah don't bother buying a hardware strobe. I had a sonic research turbo tuner, and it is very, very accurate and works well, but I sold it and decided I really don't need it because there are software tuners you can get for free that are accurate enough for intonation

Peterson is the way to go... I had a strobostomp and the screen eventually broke. Using Strobosoft now and it rules... i'm so used to it now that I feel like I'm tuning blind if I use a standard pedal tuner. Guitarists hate it tho.

yeah don't bother buying a hardware strobe. I had a sonic research turbo tuner, and it is very, very accurate and works well, but I sold it and decided I really don't need it because there are software tuners you can get for free that are accurate enough for intonation

+1.

FWIW, I talked to the guys at Peterson at a trade show and they said today's software tuners are plenty accurate for intonation. Years ago, strobe tuners were necessary for accurate intonation. But I think with today's technology, that's no longer a requirement.