Guitar with possibly cracked neck

PowerMetalJesus

New Metal Member
May 9, 2008
I just bought this guitar and it has a crack on the neck, do you guys think its a crack in the paint or in the actual neck?

2nrcvmf.jpg

Is that a set neck at the heel where the neck meets the body? If so it's a luthier joint and unfortunately it has released. I've seen paint cracks before but that one follows the joint.

depends

there'll most likely be two different kinds of wood...body and neck.
those can (shouldn't though) expand differently over the time, if the laquer is rather hard (not nitro) the paint might crack over the joint, that does not necessairily have to mean that the joint isn't ok anymore....

in this case it doesn't really look great though, I'd have it checked

Heres another picture so you can get a better view:
1zbgbjk.jpg

I will probably take it to the music shop in town and get them to fix it or at least reinforce it or something

Looks like a paint chip. Wherever you got it from should replace that instrument for you for free minus the defect. I 95% doubt that THAT particular mark has anything to do with the structural portion of the neck.

The wood has split for sure. That is where the grain runs if you find a picture of a guitar with a similar neck that's not painted. If you can get a credit for her do it! I have repaired my fair share of these but it's never pretty. Lots of work to be sure. The neck would need to have the finish removed, more than likely the split exaggerated and then the joint set. It's not uncommon to completely remove the set neck and then reset the whole thing where the split occurred, then a finish reapplied. Once the damage is repaired and the finish restored, you are set! But as stated, lots of work. You rarely see cracks in finish that follow wood grain unless....... you guessed it.