Guitarists who play in B standard...come on in!

Eschatologist

Jun 15, 2008
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
What gauge string does everyone here use on their low B tuned gtrs? I used to use .54, switched up a while ago to .56, and debating going to .59 (D'Addario 7 string set, minus the high E). I know that will help with the "flub" that the low string can get on chugs if I tighten up the tension, but my question is, how will the intonation be affected? I'm already as long as I can go with my 25.5 "...as well, how do 24.75" necks fair with low B standard tuning? I was considering getting an LTD EX400 for backup in this tuning, will it sound as clear, intonation wise? Cheers! :kickass:

Ack, a 10 for a high-B? That's like a rubber band :lol: I find it infuriating how unbalanced most factory string-sets are, but my vote would be to get this and replace the .36 and .26 with a .34 and .24

I've been playing in B standard for some years now and it's been quite some tail chasing until I've found a set I'm really comfortable with ever since I joined this band.

I started out using the GHS Zakk Wylde signature strings, the "Lo" version with a .70. It was the HORROR because it's so unbalanced and the unwound G-string was giving me intonation nightmares.

So I figured there has to be a wound G-string and after some experimentation with strange sets (special Jazz-sets etc.) I ended up using the lower 6-strings of 7-string sets (with a .60), which is kinda an obvious choice but didn't really occur to me before.

That solved the intonation issues (I'm using both, 24.75" and 25.5" scale guitars) but string tension was always quite a bitch. Just way to high, quite uncomfortable to play and ITE affecting the performance.

Anyway, after much searching around, I've found a set that is not only perfectly balanced for B-standard but has the nice side effect to last waaaaay longer than normal sets:

Kerly Kues - Nickel Plated Steel (KQX-1356)

.013 .017 .026W .036 .046 .056

kues.jpg

They go through a tempering process that is similar to what they do with the steel for the aerospace industry. They cost about thrice as much as a usual set, but their longevity makes it worth IMO.

NASA strings ftw! (This is way cool for recording...)

And I HATE 24.75" necks for tunings lower than D-standard, it's intonation hell and the strings get so floppy no matter how thick they are!

Hmm, great minds think alike I see Slash, since both sets we suggested have the same guage strings :D However, if you have the option to buy individuals over in Deutschland, I really would to replace the .36 and .26, the tension imbalance is so stupid! (and annoying as far as feel goes IMO)

And I HATE 24.75" necks for tunings lower than D-standard, it's intonation hell and the strings get so floppy no matter how thick they are!

I disagree here.

My horus is 24.75" and it's perfectly intonated, and strings are tighter than in any other axe I've played on. BUT I use Elixir's 0.12-0.68 for Drop B.
Next string change will be for a lower gauge, as they are too tight right now for my taste.

It's all about a good setup and good strings (and a decent guitar) IMHO.

Cheers!
-Erik

Oh my god, I could never stand a .68 for a B, good god how unbalanced - if it works for you, that's obviously all that matters, but you should realize how much more tension there is on that string compared to the others! And I don't see how the quality of the guitar affects the simple physics of string tension over a certain scale length, and I always have my guitars set up well...but like I said, all preference! However, now that I'm using a 25.5" scale neck, I'll never go back ;)

I am happy with the current set (.13 to .56) and the balance feels great, just wondering if that extra bit of size on the low B might = even moar toanz!!!!

Well a) I think it'd just make the tone duller and more muffled cuz it takes away from the bite of the tone when you've got such a fat string, and b):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRA7rXtl_wE&feature=channel_page[/ame]

:D (I start to lose it in the end cuz I felt a scraping of the string on the fret while doing vibrato, probably not a good sign...)

If that bottom string were a 70 and not a 60 I'd agree. The low string is where I need a lot of tension, and the imbalance between a 52 in E and a 60 in B is several pounds (five or six, with the E being around 21 or 22 and the B being around 16), so things like the 'light' ZW set have always just seemed boneheaded. I use something along the lines of 13-70 for anything between Bb and Db on a fixed-bridge guitar, and while I go a little lighter with Floyds I usually go for 17-18 pounds of tension. I haven't played in B standard for at least a year, though...

Jeff

Anyway, after much searching around, I've found a set that is not only perfectly balanced for B-standard but has the nice side effect to last waaaaay longer than normal sets:

Kerly Kues - Nickel Plated Steel (KQX-1356)

.013 .017 .026W .036 .046 .056

kues.jpg

They go through a tempering process that is similar to what they do with the steel for the aerospace industry. They cost about thrice as much as a usual set, but their longevity makes it worth IMO.

NASA strings ftw! (This is way cool for recording...)

I bought some of those coated strings last time I went to buy strings, and Tracy didn't have any of the regular ernie balls in, so he did them for me at the regular price, and so far I love them. I've had them like a month and I swear they're damn near as bright sounding as the day I put the strings on.
Amazing.